Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast Gear - eating forks in England

  • Sara L Uckelman
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 16, 2009
      Quoth julian wilson:
      > if the eating fork "wasn't introduced into England until 1608", why do the =
      > inventories of Royal Posessions made following the deaths of Richard III, a=
      > nd of Henry VII list forks amongst knives and spoons=C2=A0 amongst the eati=
      > ng tableware?

      Are these eating forks, or serving forks?

      -Aryanhwy

      --
      vita sine literis mors est
      http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 18, 2009
        As far as I know nothing designates it as 'Yul'. This lady simply had her feast gear at the 'Yul' is what I heard her to say. For my T W O pence worth or were they ducats:(I promise you I know nothing of Irish money) I believe the Irish like the peoples in the Norse lands were slow to adopt the fork. The Irish seem despite their proximity to have been fairly cut off from the goings on in Europe and were slow in adopting anything European preferring to continue their Gaelic traditions in stead.

        Kreyze Padreyk