Re: [SCA Newcomers] forks (was: Feast Gear)

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 16, 2009
      Oh.  Hang on.  I said Pompeii.  I meant to say Ancient Rome.  Still not exactly late in the period.  I read somewhere that forks were actually quite commonly used in the Italian City States because of Pasta.  So you know, my source is my eyes.  I saw the arifacts when the Ancient Rome exhibit was here in Houston.

      So everyone knows ... yes I do know that there are places where forks are not period until a certain time.  However, I distrust the blanket statement "_____ is out of period."  It is better to say "____ is out of period for my persona."  Even if you don't say "My persona is ____."  It still shows that you have at least checked to see if something is period for your persona.

      That said.  Coblaith, you're here in Ansteorra.  So there's a chance that you've actually seen my feast gear, since you're only like 2 or 3 hour drive from my Shire.  (So you know, I was the one who made feast at the last Lysts at Castelton. Lady Maria from the Longship Co.)  My Feast gear is about the FARTHEST from period you will find.  Plastic dishes, gingham check napkins and tablecloth.  The only thing that even LOOKS period are my lucite goblets.  They look like glass.  Do I care?  No.

      I think what we need to get through to people is ... Yes it's nice if you want to buy period feast gear.  Bu make sure you are really sure what you want your persona to be before you decide on buying.  The stuff can get expensive.

      My persona went from 16th c Italian to 13th c Italian to late 14th/early 15th C Italian.  I also have viking garb, english garb and some kind of non discript garb that could be french/english kind of thing.  Just because you like the idea of a 16th C Russian garb, are you sure you can make it or afford to have it made?  You may decide to choose a different persona simply for financial reasons.  Mine went through changes because of monetary concerns and also because I wanted to actually MAKE my clothing myself.  I have not made the attempt to get feast gear that is period to my persona because, no matter of the persona, I am a 21st century woman who likes to have it easy to eat.  That only happens when I have my knife, fork and spoon, napkin, glass, salt and pepper, etc.

      I guess my point is this ... Do what's comfortable and remember this is a HOBBY.
      Maria

      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 18, 2009
        As far as I know nothing designates it as 'Yul'. This lady simply had her feast gear at the 'Yul' is what I heard her to say. For my T W O pence worth or were they ducats:(I promise you I know nothing of Irish money) I believe the Irish like the peoples in the Norse lands were slow to adopt the fork. The Irish seem despite their proximity to have been fairly cut off from the goings on in Europe and were slow in adopting anything European preferring to continue their Gaelic traditions in stead.

        Kreyze Padreyk