Re: [SCA Newcomers] Feast Gear

  • tenzicut
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 16, 2009
      > OMG If one more person says forks are out of period I'm gonna
      >explode.> They are NOT out of period!!!!!  Look at the artifacts that
      >came out of Pompeii.> They had forks.
      > Lady Maria

      *** My appologies. I did not think outside the area that the majority
      of people play in, and up where I live and play, everyone plays
      vikings, mogols or something to wear heavy clothes as it is a hot day
      at 70F. The normal range of history that the Society is interested in
      is primarily between 600 and 1600(give or take a few years), and most
      places did not have forks. That said, I blacksmith them for cooking
      over the open fires frequently.

      Mergret
    • Callahan Patrick
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 18, 2009
        As far as I know nothing designates it as 'Yul'. This lady simply had her feast gear at the 'Yul' is what I heard her to say. For my T W O pence worth or were they ducats:(I promise you I know nothing of Irish money) I believe the Irish like the peoples in the Norse lands were slow to adopt the fork. The Irish seem despite their proximity to have been fairly cut off from the goings on in Europe and were slow in adopting anything European preferring to continue their Gaelic traditions in stead.

        Kreyze Padreyk