RE: [SCA Newcomers] sca garb for females

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
      Pennsic.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      -----Original Message-----
      From: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of pegasusmagic8667
      Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:53 PM
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] sca garb for females

      where is the best place to purchase garb? patterns?

    • Laurie Firth
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
        Alas, we cannot all make it to Pennsic.

        Rosamund
        (Who bought hers from Chivalry Sports some thirteen years ago, long
        before there was a nearby Shire in which to wear it)

        > Pennsic.
        >
        > Tabitha Pennywarden
        > Ravenslake, Midlands
        > Middle Kingdom

      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 17, 2009
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 17, 2009
            thanks for the replies. here is a little more information. i ma
            working on a persona that is going to be 1500's irish. a female
            pirate. any ideas about costumes and patterns for that?
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 19, 2009
              In a message dated 1/19/2009 9:20:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              mam8667@... writes:

              <<thanks for the replies. here is a little more information. i ma
              working on a persona that is going to be 1500's irish. a female
              pirate. any ideas about costumes and patterns for that?>>

              One of your best sources for Irish clothing is going to be Reconstructing
              History at
              _https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/historical-clothing.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y_ (https://www.reconstructinghistor
              y.com/historical-clothing.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y) but you won't find much about pirates there, I'm afraid.
              Female pirates in period were vanishingly rare. This will tell you what 16th
              century Irish women (and men) wore, though. If there was a 15th century Irish
              woman pirate, she might have worn men's clothing of the time. She would not
              have looked like a Pirates of the Caribbean pirate; they are from the 18th
              century, well out of SCA period.

              I had a link to a wonderful article about medieval and renaissance pirates
              and what they really were (as opposed to the myths), but the article is no
              longer there. Once Captain Elias gets over being Laureled, I'm sure he'll be able
              to direct you to what information there is on the topic of female pirates in
              the SCA period.

              Lancaster, PA
              steps!
              cemailfooterNO62)

            • Callahan Patrick
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 19, 2009
                Links For Irish Persona In The 1500's

                What an ordinary Englishman think he knows about Ireland.
                http://elizabethan.org/compendium/32.html

                The Leine
                http://albanach.org/leine.html

                An Léine Crioch -- The Irish Léine in the 16th century
                https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?s=&c=8&d=100&e=&f=&g=&a=190&w=2

                Irish TOTAL ARTICLES: 18
                https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&w=3&r=Y/dyes.html

                Irish Traditional Clothing
                http://www.the-irish-path.com/irish-traditional-clothing.html

                Kreyze Padreyk 1540's male of Gaulic/Irish decent
                (warning the name Kreyze Padreyk is not correct for any time period)
              • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 20, 2009
                  There are two Tiny groups of female pirates. And very little
                  information about either.

                  There were a very few women who were "ranking" pirates in their own
                  right. For your purposes, you might try reseaching Grace O'Malley.

                  There were woman who pretended to be men, and went pirating. Their
                  numbers are mostly unknown, but there were a few who were 'found
                  out". The life of a common pirate was pretty mean, so I doubt you
                  want to go there....

                  Actually there are four groups of women who sailed on pirate ships.

                  The third is the wives/companions of pirates. These are mostly from
                  later periods, and the information is minimal, mostly an occasional
                  mention of women captured with pirate ships.

                  Last there were women who where taken aboard for "company" on the
                  pirate ships..... If a common pirate's life was mean, what life a
                  woman brought aboard to keep them quiecent?

                  Here is a list somebody has compiled, although it is mostly out of
                  period:

                  http://www.deadmentellnotales.com/onlinetexts/womenlist.shtml

                  Labhaoise