sca garb for females

  • pegasusmagic8667
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
      where is the best place to purchase garb? patterns?
    • tenzicut
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
        > where is the best place to purchase garb? patterns?

        ** What persona are you looking for? My first garb 14 years ago was
        from a pattern from Dragonfly design and it is still going strong today
        and it is one of my main work dresses.

        Glean second hand stores and garage sales. They are a gold mine.

        YIS,

        Mergret Dyer
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
          Pennsic.

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 16, 2009
            Alas, we cannot all make it to Pennsic.

            Rosamund
            (Who bought hers from Chivalry Sports some thirteen years ago, long
            before there was a nearby Shire in which to wear it)

            > Pennsic.
            >
            > Tabitha Pennywarden
            > Ravenslake, Midlands
            > Middle Kingdom

          • Elizabeth Walpole
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 17, 2009
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 17, 2009
                thanks for the replies. here is a little more information. i ma
                working on a persona that is going to be 1500's irish. a female
                pirate. any ideas about costumes and patterns for that?
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 19, 2009
                  In a message dated 1/19/2009 9:20:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  mam8667@... writes:

                  <<thanks for the replies. here is a little more information. i ma
                  working on a persona that is going to be 1500's irish. a female
                  pirate. any ideas about costumes and patterns for that?>>

                  One of your best sources for Irish clothing is going to be Reconstructing
                  History at
                  _https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/historical-clothing.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y_ (https://www.reconstructinghistor
                  y.com/historical-clothing.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y) but you won't find much about pirates there, I'm afraid.
                  Female pirates in period were vanishingly rare. This will tell you what 16th
                  century Irish women (and men) wore, though. If there was a 15th century Irish
                  woman pirate, she might have worn men's clothing of the time. She would not
                  have looked like a Pirates of the Caribbean pirate; they are from the 18th
                  century, well out of SCA period.

                  I had a link to a wonderful article about medieval and renaissance pirates
                  and what they really were (as opposed to the myths), but the article is no
                  longer there. Once Captain Elias gets over being Laureled, I'm sure he'll be able
                  to direct you to what information there is on the topic of female pirates in
                  the SCA period.

                  Lancaster, PA
                  steps!
                  cemailfooterNO62)

                • Callahan Patrick
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 19, 2009
                    Links For Irish Persona In The 1500's

                    What an ordinary Englishman think he knows about Ireland.
                    http://elizabethan.org/compendium/32.html

                    The Leine
                    http://albanach.org/leine.html

                    An Léine Crioch -- The Irish Léine in the 16th century
                    https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?s=&c=8&d=100&e=&f=&g=&a=190&w=2

                    Irish TOTAL ARTICLES: 18
                    https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&w=3&r=Y/dyes.html

                    Irish Traditional Clothing
                    http://www.the-irish-path.com/irish-traditional-clothing.html

                    Kreyze Padreyk 1540's male of Gaulic/Irish decent
                    (warning the name Kreyze Padreyk is not correct for any time period)
                  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 20, 2009
                      There are two Tiny groups of female pirates. And very little
                      information about either.

                      There were a very few women who were "ranking" pirates in their own
                      right. For your purposes, you might try reseaching Grace O'Malley.

                      There were woman who pretended to be men, and went pirating. Their
                      numbers are mostly unknown, but there were a few who were 'found
                      out". The life of a common pirate was pretty mean, so I doubt you
                      want to go there....

                      Actually there are four groups of women who sailed on pirate ships.

                      The third is the wives/companions of pirates. These are mostly from
                      later periods, and the information is minimal, mostly an occasional
                      mention of women captured with pirate ships.

                      Last there were women who where taken aboard for "company" on the
                      pirate ships..... If a common pirate's life was mean, what life a
                      woman brought aboard to keep them quiecent?

                      Here is a list somebody has compiled, although it is mostly out of
                      period:

                      http://www.deadmentellnotales.com/onlinetexts/womenlist.shtml

                      Labhaoise