RE: [SCA Newcomers] Armour padding

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
      Greetings Miles,

      I can understand your frustration - the Marshal's HB tells you what to get,
      but not where you can get it.
      The Rapier Marshal's HB says puncture resistant fabric up to 550 newtons -
      but what kind of fabric IS that?
      (I found that 2 layers of drill will work.)

      The foam needs to be CLOSED CELL foam.
      If the description doesn't say, than it is probably open cell foam - most
      upholstery foam is.
      You can get camp mats at Walmart for around $6 - 9. This is the infamous
      blue foam that most heavy fighters I know of use.

      http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9856753

      If you can find it without the straps, it is less expensive.
      (Unless you want the straps, of course!)

      There are several reasons for requiring closed cell foam; the closed cells
      will not absorb water or sweat, thereby becoming heavier.
      The closed cells also, being closed, create air pockets, which is what is
      padding your fragile bits.
      Open cell foam comes in various firmnesses, which would be very difficult
      for a marshal to judge.

      Good luck with your kit - I hope this information helps,

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
        we  used a yoga mat purchased  from walmart in my arms and legs all i did is cut it to fit and used spray 90 from 3m to attach and it works great.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
          On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:02 -0500, James Taylor wrote:
          > It should be fine. I use the blue foam camp sleeping pads sold in Wal
          > Mart
          > or outdoor stores, but the upholstery foam should be fine, as long as
          > it is
          > in fact closed cell.

          A lot of upholstery foam is *open* cell. You can use open cell in the
          SCA in addition to the required closed cell padding, but not in place of
          it. Check your foam carefully. The blue camp sleeping pads are usually
          closed cell. Go take a look at them so you know how closed cell looks
          and feels, then you'll understand the difference with open cell. :-)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/