Armour padding

  • michael iurilli
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
      Greetings to all,

      I now have several pieces of my armour kit, and need to pad them. The
      marshals handbook says 1/4" closed cell foam. is upholstery foam like

      http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x-30-x-96-Hi-Dense-CLOSED-CELL-Upholstery-Foam_W0QQitemZ350148669629QQihZ022QQcategoryZ21213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      acceptable?

      God bless and protect you,
      Miles
    • James Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
        It should be fine. I use the blue foam camp sleeping pads sold in Wal Mart
        or outdoor stores, but the upholstery foam should be fine, as long as it is
        in fact closed cell.

        On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM, michael iurilli <mviurilli@...> wrote:

        > Greetings to all,
        >
        > I now have several pieces of my armour kit, and need to pad them. The
        > marshals handbook says 1/4" closed cell foam. is upholstery foam like
        >

        > http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x-30-x-96-Hi-Dense-CLOSED-CELL-Upholstery-Foam_W0QQitemZ350148669629QQihZ022QQcategoryZ21213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
        >
        > acceptable?
        >
        > God bless and protect you,
        > Miles

      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
          Greetings Miles,

          I can understand your frustration - the Marshal's HB tells you what to get,
          but not where you can get it.
          The Rapier Marshal's HB says puncture resistant fabric up to 550 newtons -
          but what kind of fabric IS that?
          (I found that 2 layers of drill will work.)

          The foam needs to be CLOSED CELL foam.
          If the description doesn't say, than it is probably open cell foam - most
          upholstery foam is.
          You can get camp mats at Walmart for around $6 - 9. This is the infamous
          blue foam that most heavy fighters I know of use.

          http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9856753

          If you can find it without the straps, it is less expensive.
          (Unless you want the straps, of course!)

          There are several reasons for requiring closed cell foam; the closed cells
          will not absorb water or sweat, thereby becoming heavier.
          The closed cells also, being closed, create air pockets, which is what is
          padding your fragile bits.
          Open cell foam comes in various firmnesses, which would be very difficult
          for a marshal to judge.

          Good luck with your kit - I hope this information helps,

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
            we  used a yoga mat purchased  from walmart in my arms and legs all i did is cut it to fit and used spray 90 from 3m to attach and it works great.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
              On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:02 -0500, James Taylor wrote:
              > It should be fine. I use the blue foam camp sleeping pads sold in Wal
              > Mart
              > or outdoor stores, but the upholstery foam should be fine, as long as
              > it is
              > in fact closed cell.

              A lot of upholstery foam is *open* cell. You can use open cell in the
              SCA in addition to the required closed cell padding, but not in place of
              it. Check your foam carefully. The blue camp sleeping pads are usually
              closed cell. Go take a look at them so you know how closed cell looks
              and feels, then you'll understand the difference with open cell. :-)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/