12th Night Gifts/Etiquette

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
      So, I have been hanging around for a bit now, but only recently started
      becoming active. I found out, less than 1-month ago, about this whole
      gift thingy for 12th Night celebrations.

      So, thanks to an exhausting December, I simply do not forsee being able
      to have gifts available. (Unless I stay up all night baking ><).

      What are the etiquettes surrounding the whole gift exchange. If I go to
      my barony's 12th night gift-less, will I be shackled & feathers?
      Should I forgo the event?

      What are some last-minute gift ideas? What are some other gift ideas so
      I can start preparing for next year now?

      Sara
    • tudorpot@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
        Oh, dear - first I have heard about it. Please help!

        Freda

        On Jan 2, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Sara wrote:

        > So, I have been hanging around for a bit now, but only recently
        > started
        > becoming active. I found out, less than 1-month ago, about this whole
        > gift thingy for 12th Night celebrations.

      • Jibra'il `Attar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
          Sara & Freda --

          Generally, any gift exchanges at Twelfth Night are purely between
          friends and are most certainly not required. There are many years
          where time or finances have precluded my being able to exchange gifts
          with friends (and mundane family for that fact)! There is no
          requirement to bring gifts at all; it's something that people do just
          because they want to. Don't feel that this is an obligation; this is
          something to do to share something spiffy with a friend if you have
          the time and finances to do so. Besides, it allows your friends to be
          pleasantly surprised when you do give them a gift...they won't have
          any preset expectations to get a gift if you don't do it all the time.
          ;)

          Jibra'il `Attar
          Shire of Deodar
          Kingdom of Calontir

          * who is sadly missing Calontir's 12th Night this weekend due to
          mundane work obligations (silly trainings and quality)
        • tudorpot@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            There are a few people who have been very good to me- I'd like to
            make them something- perhaps you or others could share some ideas-
            what you've been given that you found good/fun/useful.

            thanks

            Freda