Armour padding

  • michael iurilli
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
      Hello again,
      Have another question here. the marshal's handbook says your armour
      should be padded with closed cell foam. for the body, is a padded
      gambeson such as:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180311323411

      legal?

      thanks and God bless,
      Miles
    • christopher chastain
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
        Yes thats very mch legal, the padding is just to give a little extra protection for when you run into one of the big guys who do MMA as well as SCA and hit harder than a Mac Trcuck! And that is trying to pull back on the power. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Do not scorn the weak cub. It might become the brutal tiger!" Mongol Proverb"Only a hand that can grasp a sword may hold a sceptre!" Tatar Proverb

        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: mviurilli@...: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:18:08 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Armour padding

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
          Greetings to all,

          I now have several pieces of my armour kit, and need to pad them. The
          marshals handbook says 1/4" closed cell foam. is upholstery foam like

          http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x-30-x-96-Hi-Dense-CLOSED-CELL-Upholstery-Foam_W0QQitemZ350148669629QQihZ022QQcategoryZ21213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

          acceptable?

          God bless and protect you,
          Miles
        • James Taylor
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
            It should be fine. I use the blue foam camp sleeping pads sold in Wal Mart
            or outdoor stores, but the upholstery foam should be fine, as long as it is
            in fact closed cell.

            On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:50 AM, michael iurilli <mviurilli@...> wrote:

            > Greetings to all,
            >
            > I now have several pieces of my armour kit, and need to pad them. The
            > marshals handbook says 1/4" closed cell foam. is upholstery foam like
            >

            > http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x-30-x-96-Hi-Dense-CLOSED-CELL-Upholstery-Foam_W0QQitemZ350148669629QQihZ022QQcategoryZ21213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            >
            > acceptable?
            >
            > God bless and protect you,
            > Miles

          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
              Greetings Miles,

              I can understand your frustration - the Marshal's HB tells you what to get,
              but not where you can get it.
              The Rapier Marshal's HB says puncture resistant fabric up to 550 newtons -
              but what kind of fabric IS that?
              (I found that 2 layers of drill will work.)

              The foam needs to be CLOSED CELL foam.
              If the description doesn't say, than it is probably open cell foam - most
              upholstery foam is.
              You can get camp mats at Walmart for around $6 - 9. This is the infamous
              blue foam that most heavy fighters I know of use.

              http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9856753

              If you can find it without the straps, it is less expensive.
              (Unless you want the straps, of course!)

              There are several reasons for requiring closed cell foam; the closed cells
              will not absorb water or sweat, thereby becoming heavier.
              The closed cells also, being closed, create air pockets, which is what is
              padding your fragile bits.
              Open cell foam comes in various firmnesses, which would be very difficult
              for a marshal to judge.

              Good luck with your kit - I hope this information helps,

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
                we  used a yoga mat purchased  from walmart in my arms and legs all i did is cut it to fit and used spray 90 from 3m to attach and it works great.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
                  On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 10:02 -0500, James Taylor wrote:
                  > It should be fine. I use the blue foam camp sleeping pads sold in Wal
                  > Mart
                  > or outdoor stores, but the upholstery foam should be fine, as long as
                  > it is
                  > in fact closed cell.

                  A lot of upholstery foam is *open* cell. You can use open cell in the
                  SCA in addition to the required closed cell padding, but not in place of
                  it. Check your foam carefully. The blue camp sleeping pads are usually
                  closed cell. Go take a look at them so you know how closed cell looks
                  and feels, then you'll understand the difference with open cell. :-)

                  fesswise reversed sable.

                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/