Re: [SCA Newcomers] Courtly love

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2008
      Jen wrote:
      > . . .I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good
      > resources about courtly love, perhaps something along the lines of how
      > couples behave with each other in public?

      First, there is some question as to whether courtly love was ever
      actually practiced in real life. All the evidence of it is literary.
      Relying on it is a bit like reading a Harlequin Romance novel to get an
      idea of what 20th century relationships were like. In most cases,
      you'd end up knowing more about people's fantasies than their lives.

      That said, under the model of courtly love, love was supposed to be a
      secret thing, kept between the lover and the beloved or, at most,
      shared with a very few confidants. Andreas Capellanus (one of the
      Middle Ages' most famous authors on the topic) even goes so far as to
      say that becoming public causes love to die
      <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/capellanus.html>. Given this
      fact, and the fact that courtly love is almost always assumed to be
      extramarital, it is likely that anyone who did decide to try to live
      according to the principals of courtly love would behave very
      discreetly in public. The only signs you might see would be the sort
      of things Capellanus describes as inevitable, like the lover turning
      pale in the presence of his beloved or experiencing heart palpitations
      at the sudden sight of her.

      If you're primarily interested in the extant evidence of medieval
      courtly love, Larry D. Benson's "Courtly Love and Chivalry in the Later
      Middle Ages"
      <http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/lifemann/love/ben-
      love.htm> might be of use to you. If you are interested in doing some
      form of persona play involving courtly love, you might find Deirdre
      O'Siodhachain's "The Practice of Courtly Love" more helpful
      <http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/oak/04/court.htm>.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra