Another Persona Question

  • edmundhalliday
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2008
      Greetings to the List;

      I've read much of what the internet has to offer in the way of persona
      development and Edmund Halliday is well on his way to reality for me.
      That being said, how does one usually bridge the gap between ones
      place in history and ones place in The Knowne World?

      Specifically, how do I explain this 16th century english merchant
      adventurer living in the kingdom of An Tir?

      In Service,

      Edmund Halliday
    • Jibra'il `Attar
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2008
        Edmund inquires:
        > Specifically, how do I explain this 16th century english merchant
        > adventurer living in the kingdom of An Tir?

        I've specifically taken the approach the while Jibra'il `Attar is a
        courtier of Shah Tahmasp's Court, he is an emissary that was sent to
        the lands of Calontir. Unfortunately for him, the caravan of courtiers
        he was with left him in these strange, new lands...and Jibra'il has
        been forced to adapt to the customs of those around him.

        Jibra'il.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008
          In a message dated 12/11/2008 11:23:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          danel56@... writes:

          <<Specifically, how do I explain this 16th century english merchant
          adventurer living in the kingdom of An Tir?>>

          Well, there isn't really a need to since everyone else Edmund will interact
          with is also living in the Known World, too. You all just happen to have come
          to live in some place that isn't 16th century England or any other actual real
          place/time, but it's your home. You wouldn't explain to someone how you came
          to live in the town you grew up in if they all grew up and lived there, too,
          would you?

          A merchant adventurer has an easy answer for that question anyway. Your ship
          got blown off course and since you don't know where you are, you can't find
          your way home. Much simpler than a prosperous tailor's wife from Shrewsbury
          trying to explain how she walked out her front door one day and ended up in
          another land.

          Lancaster, PA