Re: [SCA Newcomers] mincemeat, take 2

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2008
      In a message dated 12/6/2008 6:39:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      jwlundgren@... writes:

      <<A special thank you to all who responded. I now have 3 recipes to
      choose from and possibly combine including a recipe for homemade crust.>>

      Great! There are LOTS of good medieval pie recipes out there.

      <<Now for the next question, would such a dish (containing meat) be
      served on the main dish table or as a dessert?>>

      In the medieval mind, definitely a main dish item. Actually as far as we can
      tell from reading medieval menus, which list dishes in the courses they are
      served in, there doesn't seem to be a lot of distinction between what we would
      consider an appetizer, a main dish, a side dish, or a dessert. Everything
      seems to come out mixed up in one course, and then the next course has the same
      sort of mixture as well. (Course in the medieval sense means a bunch of
      different dishes brought out to the table at the same time; whereas in modern terms
      a course is a single dish, so that a 5 course meal today might include an
      appetizer, a soup, a salad, a main dish with sides, and a dessert, served one
      after the other, but one being removed from the table before the next is put on.
      A five course medieval meal could easily contain well over 20 different
      dishes, brought to the table in groups of 4 or 5 at a time, mixing veggies, pies,
      soups, roasts, etc. There is some tendency towards grouping certain types of
      items towards the beginning of the meal and others towards the end, but mostly
      it's just a bunch of different things.)

      << I am contemplating
      making a meat version for the local SCA Midwinter event and a non-meat
      version for our own mundane Christmas celebration. >>

      Interesting way to experiment :-)

      <<We are inexperienced but enthusiastic cooks! >>

      With enthusiasm, experience will come.

      If you are really interested in medieval cooking, you might consider signing
      up for the SCA-Cooks list at _http://lists.ansteorra.org/_
      (http://lists.ansteorra.org/) It's a pretty high volume list, but with a lot of very
      experienced cooks, a number of whom are also professional cooks mundanely.

      Lancaster, PA