Gaelic Pronunciation

  • jeffthegeek1974
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2008
      Hello,

      I am a SCA newbie looking to pick my sca names. I am going for early
      (probably around 700) Irish Celtic. I've got a couple names I am
      interested in using but I am having some trouble with how to pronounce
      the names. I have no background in Gaelic, but I do know some of the
      rules. Can anyone point me in the direction of a half decent
      pronunciation guide?
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2008
        Quoth "jeffthegeek1974":
        > I am a SCA newbie looking to pick my sca names. I am going for early
        > (probably around 700) Irish Celtic. I've got a couple names I am
        > interested in using but I am having some trouble with how to pronounce
        > the names. I have no background in Gaelic, but I do know some of the
        > rules. Can anyone point me in the direction of a half decent
        > pronunciation guide?

        Gaelic pronunciation changed quite a bit over the time period that
        the SCA covers, and also differs mightly from modern Gaelic
        pronunciation. So far as I know, there is uniform guide to 8th C
        Gaelic. Your best bet would be to chose a handful of elements
        that you like, and then request pronunciations for those elements --
        there are a number of experts on early Gaelic pronunciation in
        the Society who would be able to help provide pronunciations for a
        few elements. (I'm not sure if any of them are on this list, so
        I can put you in touch with them if you'd like.)

        -Aryanhwy

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2008
          jeffthegeek1974 wrote:
          > I am going for early (probably around 700) Irish Celtic.

          You mean "Irish Gaelic". "Celtic" is a term scholars coined (basing it
          on "Keltoi", the name a Greek historian writing in the 6th century
          B.C.E. gave to a tribe he studied) to describe archaeological sites
          with certain commonalities in material culture. They all significantly
          predate the Middle Ages and Renaissance. (The latest are from around
          the first century B.C.E.) The term has been adopted into linguistics
          as the name for a family of languages, and is used popularly as an
          umbrella term referring to modern groups believed to be the cultural
          descendants of the ancient Celts, but it does not accurately describe
          any medieval group.

          > I've got a couple names I am interested in using but I am having some
          > trouble with how to pronounce the names.. . .Can anyone point me in
          > the direction of a half decent pronunciation guide?

          "Old-Irish Spelling and Pronunciation"
          <http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/sengoidelc/donncha/labhairt.html> should be
          helpful.

          You could also try searching for the specific names that interest you
          in the past reports of the Academy of Saint Gabriel
          <http://s-gabriel.org/advancedsearch>. They often give pronunciations
          for the names they discuss. Just be sure you look at the dates in the
          report. If you want a 7th-century name, a pronunciation given for the
          14th century probably won't be right for you.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • bethgolds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2008
            Jeff,
            Both my husband and I have Gaelic personas. He's Irish of mid 1500s, and
            I'm Scottish highland of early 1500s. Sean will be at fight practice
            Wednesday. He says bring your name ideas and he'll bring his knowledge and
            dictionaries and such to help. BTW, glad you enjoyed Masquerade!

            Yours in service,
            Elzbeth

            Elzbeth nee Gregor Goldsworthy
            Shire of Trinovantia Nova

            (Beth Goldsworthy, St. Thomas)
            My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.
            "Not knowing is bad, not wanting to know is worse."

          • jeffthegeek1974
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 25, 2008
              Thank you Elzbeth, I changed my main name idea slightly due to finding
              one that I like better and the difficulty in spelling and
              pronunciation, but still not 100% sure about the pronunciation
              (actually only about 25% certain I have the pronunciation even close,
              Gaelic is such a guttural language). I look forward to discussing it
              with your Husband.

              And yes Masquerade was a blast and I am quite looking forward to the
              next event I can attend :D as is my daughter.