Re: [SCA Newcomers] Returnee

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
      Quoting Janet <HI_it_is_me@...>:

      >> And, there's a new *challenge* It's not a competition, it's a
      >> challenge -- to complete 50 A&S projects between now and AS 50 --
      >> that's 7 years. There's a Yahoo Group, a Web Page, and a LiveJournal
      >> Community (and a FAcebook page).
      >

      > Very cool. I hadn't heard about this. I'm passing it on to my local shire.

      Well, if I'd realized that, I would have posted it sooner! Please
      pass the word!

      jerusha (just the messenger)
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
        In a message dated 11/9/2008 4:41:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        sca_chimera@... writes:

        <<I belonged to SCA decades ago and only have returned recently. I hope
        to become involved this coming year, particularly in events and Arts
        and Sciences. I think it is the A & S that baffles me the most. It has
        become far more complex than I remember "back in the day". How do we
        get involved more with Arts and Sciences? I'm interested in many, but
        particularly in fibers/textiles, gardening, cooking, and illumination.
        My husband is interested in woodworking and brewing.>>

        If you just want to do those arts and sciences, just find someone doing them
        or talking about them at events, introduce yourself, and say you are
        interested; most likely you will have immediate help in getting started. It's not
        necessary to go through Kingdom University courses or find a Laurel to teach you
        to get involved, although sometimes it can seem like that is the case.
        I think what has probably become more complex is the concept of competitions
        and such. I don't like competitions because they make me think more of the
        local county fair than the Middle Ages, but many people do enjoy them. If you
        are interested in that end, local advice would be your best bet as the kinds
        and structures of competitons differ from kingdom to kingdom

        Lancaster, PA
        Holiday needs. Search Now.
        -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

      • sca_chimera
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
          Where I am is part of the issue, something I've read in other posts. We
          are in the outback of Atenveldt, a couple of hours from the closest
          group. I certainly will look into some of the specific online groups!

          Hallie