Returnee

  • sca_chimera
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
      Hi folks,

      I belonged to SCA decades ago and only have returned recently. I hope
      to become involved this coming year, particularly in events and Arts
      and Sciences. I think it is the A & S that baffles me the most. It has
      become far more complex than I remember "back in the day". How do we
      get involved more with Arts and Sciences? I'm interested in many, but
      particularly in fibers/textiles, gardening, cooking, and illumination.
      My husband is interested in woodworking and brewing.

      Hallie et al
    • Susan Farmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        Quoting sca_chimera <sca_chimera@...>:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I belonged to SCA decades ago and only have returned recently. I hope
        > to become involved this coming year, particularly in events and Arts
        > and Sciences. I think it is the A & S that baffles me the most. It has
        > become far more complex than I remember "back in the day". How do we
        > get involved more with Arts and Sciences? I'm interested in many, but
        > particularly in fibers/textiles, gardening, cooking, and illumination.
        > My husband is interested in woodworking and brewing.

        "by doing" is the obvious answer -- but where are you located? Here
        in Meridies, there's a Costumers Guild, an Embroiderers Guild, and an
        Herbalist's Guild etc. And there are boatloads of Yahoo Groups for
        whatever your interests are.

        And, there's a new *challenge* It's not a competition, it's a
        challenge -- to complete 50 A&S projects between now and AS 50 --
        that's 7 years. There's a Yahoo Group, a Web Page, and a LiveJournal
        Community (and a FAcebook page).

        http://artsandsciences50.org/

        jerusha in Meridies
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
        Division of Science and Math
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
          >And, there's a new *challenge* It's not a competition, it's a
          >challenge -- to complete 50 A&S projects between now and AS 50 --
          >that's 7 years. There's a Yahoo Group, a Web Page, and a LiveJournal
          >Community (and a FAcebook page).

          Very cool. I hadn't heard about this. I'm passing it on to my local shire.
          ~Isabel
          Middle Kingdom
        • Susan Farmer
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
            Quoting Janet <HI_it_is_me@...>:

            >> And, there's a new *challenge* It's not a competition, it's a
            >> challenge -- to complete 50 A&S projects between now and AS 50 --
            >> that's 7 years. There's a Yahoo Group, a Web Page, and a LiveJournal
            >> Community (and a FAcebook page).
            >

            > Very cool. I hadn't heard about this. I'm passing it on to my local shire.

            Well, if I'd realized that, I would have posted it sooner! Please
            pass the word!

            jerusha (just the messenger)
            -----
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
              In a message dated 11/9/2008 4:41:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              sca_chimera@... writes:

              <<I belonged to SCA decades ago and only have returned recently. I hope
              to become involved this coming year, particularly in events and Arts
              and Sciences. I think it is the A & S that baffles me the most. It has
              become far more complex than I remember "back in the day". How do we
              get involved more with Arts and Sciences? I'm interested in many, but
              particularly in fibers/textiles, gardening, cooking, and illumination.
              My husband is interested in woodworking and brewing.>>

              If you just want to do those arts and sciences, just find someone doing them
              or talking about them at events, introduce yourself, and say you are
              interested; most likely you will have immediate help in getting started. It's not
              necessary to go through Kingdom University courses or find a Laurel to teach you
              to get involved, although sometimes it can seem like that is the case.
              I think what has probably become more complex is the concept of competitions
              and such. I don't like competitions because they make me think more of the
              local county fair than the Middle Ages, but many people do enjoy them. If you
              are interested in that end, local advice would be your best bet as the kinds
              and structures of competitons differ from kingdom to kingdom

              Lancaster, PA
              Holiday needs. Search Now.
              -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

            • sca_chimera
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
                Where I am is part of the issue, something I've read in other posts. We
                are in the outback of Atenveldt, a couple of hours from the closest
                group. I certainly will look into some of the specific online groups!

                Hallie