name "Dierdre" (was: New to the group)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
      An Tir Lady wrote:
      > . . .is Dierdre an acceptable first name for a persona?

      Let's be clear about one thing: You can *call yourself* anything you
      like (though if you chose something obscene you'd probably face a good
      deal of social censure). Where the rules come in is when you decide to
      register your name with the College of Arms. Registering a name serves
      two primary purposes. First, it makes that name yours and yours alone
      within the S.C.A. Second, it allows you to register armory--heraldic
      badges and a device. Additionally, in some kingdoms you can't get an
      official award scroll unless you have a registered name to go on it, so
      if you lack one and you are given an award you receive only a
      promissory note.

      That understood:

      "Dierdre" is a modern spelling for the name of a Gaelic literary
      character. The only evidence of its use before 1600, with any
      spelling, by a real person relates to a single woman in Scotland in the
      12th century <http://medievalscotland.org/problem/names/deirdre.shtml>,
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/gaelicgiven/women/
      deirdre.shtml>. If you want to create a realistic medieval name using
      a variant of Dierdre, therefore, you should (1) choose a documented
      Middle Gaelic spelling (see the two articles I just mentioned), and
      combine it with an appropriate byname following the recommendations in
      "A Simple Guide to Constructing 12th Century Scottish Gaelic Names"
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/
      simplescotgaelicnames12.shtml>, or (2) use "Derder" (the documented
      form from 12th-century Latin documents), combined with a Latinized
      version of a Gaelic or Anglian/Scoto-Norman byname, following the
      conventions for names written in Latin in Scotland in the 12th century.
      In the latter case, of course, you'd be creating a documentary form of
      the name, one that you could register and use when writing your name,
      but the vernacular (spoken) form would be Gaelic or Scoto-Norman.
      (There are many English men called "Iohannes", in Latin documents, for
      example, but their buddies wouldn't yell that across the street to get
      their attention. They'd just yell, "John!") You'd probably want to
      work with an experienced consulting herald to figure out what works
      best for your purposes. If you can't find one in your area, let me
      know, and I'll try to help. If you can find one, give her or him the
      URLs I mentioned. It'll help get things off to a running start.

      If you don't want to be from 12th-century Scotland, you'll find a lot
      of information on names from other periods and places in the Medieval
      Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/>. Start by reading,
      "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers", and then move to the
      naming guide(s) for the culture(s) that interest you.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Ciaran ui Cainnech
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
        The East Kingdom site for St Erasmus (from whom one should be able to obtain
        broader information) is: <http://members.iconn.net/~gedney/StErasmus.htm>.

        Cheers,
        Ciaran

        On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...
        > wrote:

        > An Tir Lady wrote:
        > > I am interested in information for developing a natical persona and
        > > would appreciate any help on where to research this.
        >
        > The details of your persona will depend greatly on the period and
        > culture within which you set it. A Norse trader from the 10th century
        > will be very different from a 16th-century Spanish seaman, for example.
        > Much of your research, therefore, will have to wait until you know
        > more about whom you want to portray.
        >
        > The SCA-Nautical Yahoo! Group
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Nautical/> might make a good place
        > to start learning about the nautical aspects, and some of what you
        > learn there might help you narrow down the place and time that fit for
        > you. It looks like it used to be a very active group, but the list
        > currently sees only moderate traffic.
        >
        > There is also a Society-wide guild for those who are interested in
        > topics nautical, the Loyal Guild of Saint Erasmus. It was founded in
        > An Tir, but the An Tirian website for it apparently went down when AOL
        > Hometown shut down; I couldn't find a current one. The folks that run
        > the East Kingdom site for the guild could probably get you in touch
        > with folks in your area who share your interest, though. And their
        > website does have the guild charter and some resources that might come
        > in handy <http://members.iconn.net/~gedney/StErasmus.htm<http://members.iconn.net/%7Egedney/StErasmus.htm>
        > >.
        >
        > Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        > Kingdom of Ansteorra
        > <mailto:Coblaith@... <Coblaith%40sbcglobal.net>>

      • Jeff Gedney
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2008
          > The East Kingdom site for St Erasmus (from whom one should be able
          obtain
          > broader information) is:
          <http://members.iconn.net/~gedney/StErasmus.htm>.

          Thanks Ciaran!

          It's a little out of date, and I have to sit down and go over the
          links
          pages, but that's my baby.

          I am Capt Elias Gedney and I am happy to answer any specific
          questions
          you might have. I have done a fair amount of research and have taught
          several courses on creating believable and more or less accurate to
          place and time nautical personae.
          It is true that the mechanics of the nautical persona will vary by
          time
          and place, but there are wide swaths of overlap, where ship
          technologies or common dreess stayed relatively static over a largish
          chunk of time, but these steady states were punctuated by periods of
          intense change. Knowing when you live, and where is vital to creating
          characterization that might have stepped out of a history book, as
          opposed to one that might have stepped off a Junior High School stage.

          So Please, do tell, what tiem and place are yoyu interested?

          Capt Elias Gedney
          East Kingdom
          Stratford, CT USA
        • antirlady
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 11, 2008
            I want to thank you all for your help in answering my questions. I
            will check out Scotland for developing my nautical persona. I haven't
            decided the when yet. I am looking into the history of women pirates at
            this time and while there werent many, there were a few.

            An Tir Lady
          • jeffthegeek1974
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
              If you are just looking for a female pirate Chinese might be more your
              flavour. There were scads of Chinese female pirates if I recall one I
              believe commanded a fleet of thousands of large junks and other
              smaller vessels. Vikings were also known to have some female Pirates.
              I don't know of many Scottish, but they might exist. I am by no means
              an expert.

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "antirlady" <zsoka@...> wrote:

              > I want to thank you all for your help in answering my questions. I
              > will check out Scotland for developing my nautical persona. I haven't
              > decided the when yet. I am looking into the history of women pirates at
              > this time and while there werent many, there were a few.
              >
              > An Tir Lady

            • Otto von Schwyz
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
                There were a few female pirates around the east coast of the US; all out of period.  My suggestion is to look towards the Med and the Indian Ocean area.  You might find some women pirates in the history books.

                Otto

                If you are just looking for a female pirate Chinese might be more your
                flavour. There were scads of Chinese female pirates if I recall one I
                believe commanded a fleet of thousands of large junks and other
                smaller vessels. Vikings were also known to have some female Pirates.
                I don't know of many Scottish, but they might exist. I am by no means
                an expert.

                --- In scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com, "antirlady" <zsoka@...> wrote:

                > I want to thank you all for your help in answering my questions. I
                > will check out Scotland for developing my nautical persona. I haven't
                > decided the when yet. I am looking into the history of women pirates at
                > this time and while there werent many, there were a few.
                >
                > An Tir Lady

              • Jeff Gedney
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 17, 2008
                  > If you are just looking for a female pirate Chinese might be more your
                  > flavour. There were scads of Chinese female pirates if I recall one I
                  > believe commanded a fleet of thousands of large junks and other
                  > smaller vessels.

                  Sounds like you are referring to Ching Xie (Shih)...
                  Alas she is, like nearly all female pirates, far outside of period.
                  Ching Xie is late 19th century.

                  > Vikings were also known to have some female Pirates.
                  Nope.
                  the only one I have found any allusion to is not exactly a pirate, but
                  comes from a legend retold by the "historian" Saxo Germanicus.
                  The story of Alfhild. But if you read the ACTUAL story (not one of the
                  retwellings with the purpose of selling a feminist viewpoint, such as
                  Joan Druetts fevered reimagination of it in her book "She Captains")
                  you can quickly note the fantastical elements in the story.
                  the concordance of the the name AlfHild, (literally "elfgirl") and her
                  beau who crosses the seas to find her Alf (elf), for example, aslo
                  that she was so beautiful that he had to be kept locked up by her
                  father lest she drive all men mad with passion, and she was guarded by
                  two dragons, that Alf killed the drafons but she fled from him in mens'
                  clothes and went to seam, and that they fought a fierce battle upon an
                  ice floe, where he did not know she was a woman until he knocked her
                  helm away and then he instantly grabbed her and made love to her on the
                  spot and in which she was willingly taken and turned into the perfect
                  wife by his manhood. Bleah.
                  Myth.
                  not fact. Most Scholars place her in the same Eddic tradition of
                  Shieldmaidens as BrunHild, closely tied with the concept of Valkeries.

                  Keep in mind that what _we_ consider history and what Saxo Germanicus
                  considered history are vastly different things, and it is not well
                  considered to consider them of the same sort.

                  The problem with early "Historians" is that they nearly all of them
                  include myths into histories, since what they were recording was not
                  actual fact, but stories that went into making the social context of
                  the societies they are chronicalling.
                  For example, Herodotus included stories of Scythian Amazons in a
                  location where they were not known to exist because the people who
                  lived there used them as an illustration of their prowess in conquering
                  them as a part of their "founding story". He also included a number of
                  other tall tales that were pointedly false to fact. Yet he is
                  considered the "Father of History".
                  This is because there was no separation of a people's mythos and teh
                  structure of religious stories from the factual and prosaic recording
                  of events, which we consider history today.

                  > I don't know of many Scottish, but they might exist. I am by no means
                  > an expert.

                  If you are using as a source the book "She Captains" by by Joan Druett,
                  forget it, Joan Druett has a big personal axe to grind in that book and
                  she reinterprets data and often completely pulls data out of thin air
                  and presents it as fact (in the Alfhild chapter for example, she
                  creates, equips and presents as fact entire class of female viking
                  warrior that has no foundation in any thing other than her own hopeful
                  imagination).

                  Female pirates were EXCEEDINGLY rare.
                  Personally I know of none (that actually were Pirates as we think of
                  the term) that exist in the European Context _in the SCA's Covered
                  Period_.
                  Grania Omalley, for example, may never have gotten in the rowboats with
                  the men she sheltered and directed ( as the wife of the o'Malley) more
                  than a few time (Irish Sea Piracy was done in rowboats, all popular
                  fiction notwithstanding) She certainly never left the Irish Sea except
                  to go to England. I certainly dont regard her as a "pirate" in the
                  manner of Anne Bonney from two centuries later.

                  Most of the cited Stories of Female pirates in period are legendary, or
                  are stories of facilitors of piracy, such as Grania Omalley, or women
                  who had Storehouses set up or otherwise provided safe haven for male
                  pirates.

                  It sucks, but history is often unfair.

                  Capt Elias
                • jeffthegeek1974
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 18, 2008
                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Gedney" <gedney@...> wrote:

                    > > If you are just looking for a female pirate Chinese might be more your
                    > > flavour. There were scads of Chinese female pirates if I recall one I
                    > > believe commanded a fleet of thousands of large junks and other
                    > > smaller vessels.
                    >
                    > Sounds like you are referring to Ching Xie (Shih)...
                    > Alas she is, like nearly all female pirates, far outside of period.
                    > Ching Xie is late 19th century.

                    Sounds like what I recall, though I thought she was earlier. It was a
                    long time ago that I looked at that stuff.

                    > > Vikings were also known to have some female Pirates.
                    > Nope.
                    > the only one I have found any allusion to is not exactly a pirate, but
                    > comes from a legend retold by the "historian" Saxo Germanicus.
                    > The story of Alfhild. But if you read the ACTUAL story (not one of the
                    > retwellings with the purpose of selling a feminist viewpoint, such as
                    > Joan Druetts fevered reimagination of it in her book "She Captains")
                    > you can quickly note the fantastical elements in the story.
                    > the concordance of the the name AlfHild, (literally "elfgirl") and her
                    > beau who crosses the seas to find her Alf (elf), for example, aslo
                    > that she was so beautiful that he had to be kept locked up by her
                    > father lest she drive all men mad with passion, and she was guarded by
                    > two dragons, that Alf killed the drafons but she fled from him in mens'
                    > clothes and went to seam, and that they fought a fierce battle upon an
                    > ice floe, where he did not know she was a woman until he knocked her
                    > helm away and then he instantly grabbed her and made love to her on the
                    > spot and in which she was willingly taken and turned into the perfect
                    > wife by his manhood. Bleah.
                    > Myth.
                    > not fact. Most Scholars place her in the same Eddic tradition of
                    > Shieldmaidens as BrunHild, closely tied with the concept of Valkeries.
                    >

                    > Keep in mind that what _we_ consider history and what Saxo Germanicus
                    > considered history are vastly different things, and it is not well
                    > considered to consider them of the same sort.
                    >
                    > The problem with early "Historians" is that they nearly all of them
                    > include myths into histories, since what they were recording was not
                    > actual fact, but stories that went into making the social context of
                    > the societies they are chronicalling.
                    > For example, Herodotus included stories of Scythian Amazons in a
                    > location where they were not known to exist because the people who
                    > lived there used them as an illustration of their prowess in conquering
                    > them as a part of their "founding story". He also included a number of
                    > other tall tales that were pointedly false to fact. Yet he is
                    > considered the "Father of History".
                    > This is because there was no separation of a people's mythos and teh
                    > structure of religious stories from the factual and prosaic recording
                    > of events, which we consider history today.
                    >
                    > > I don't know of many Scottish, but they might exist. I am by no means
                    > > an expert.
                    >
                    > If you are using as a source the book "She Captains" by by Joan Druett,
                    > forget it, Joan Druett has a big personal axe to grind in that book and
                    > she reinterprets data and often completely pulls data out of thin air
                    > and presents it as fact (in the Alfhild chapter for example, she
                    > creates, equips and presents as fact entire class of female viking
                    > warrior that has no foundation in any thing other than her own hopeful
                    > imagination).

                    Could have been Joan Druett I remember reading ages ago, that was back
                    in highschool and that was a number of years ago.

                    > Female pirates were EXCEEDINGLY rare.
                    > Personally I know of none (that actually were Pirates as we think of
                    > the term) that exist in the European Context _in the SCA's Covered
                    > Period_.
                    > Grania Omalley, for example, may never have gotten in the rowboats with
                    > the men she sheltered and directed ( as the wife of the o'Malley) more
                    > than a few time (Irish Sea Piracy was done in rowboats, all popular
                    > fiction notwithstanding) She certainly never left the Irish Sea except
                    > to go to England. I certainly dont regard her as a "pirate" in the
                    > manner of Anne Bonney from two centuries later.
                    >
                    > Most of the cited Stories of Female pirates in period are legendary, or
                    > are stories of facilitors of piracy, such as Grania Omalley, or women
                    > who had Storehouses set up or otherwise provided safe haven for male
                    > pirates.
                    >
                    > It sucks, but history is often unfair.
                    >
                    > Capt Elias

                    Interesting info.
                  • Jeff Gedney
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 18, 2008
                      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "antirlady" <zsoka@...> wrote:

                      > I want to thank you all for your help in answering my questions. I
                      > will check out Scotland for developing my nautical persona. I haven't
                      > decided the when yet. I am looking into the history of women pirates
                      at
                      > this time and while there werent many, there were a few.
                      >
                      > An Tir Lady

                      If you are choosing a Scottish nautical persona, you have two
                      directions to look in. Lowlander (Edinburgh and the Firth - Strong
                      English influence) and Islander (Faroe Islands and similar northern
                      coasters - Strong Norse/Viking influence).
                      The Scottish Highlander is right out.
                      Is there a time period you are interested in?
                      Capt Elias