RE: [SCA Newcomers] New fighter question...

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      Hello Calder - good to meet you!

      Some of the answer to your question depends of what type of armour you have:
      plastic, leather or metal.
      You can't break plastic or metal in, but you can reshape them - sometimes
      you only need a small adjustment.
      I know a lot can also depend on the exact placement of straps.
      (Pun intended.)

      You CAN break leather in, but if it's doing that, it's probably not really
      funtioning as armour anymore.

      I have seen a demonstration of a knight in plate metal jousting armour doing
      cartwheels and somersaults.
      Little bruises, or armour bites are OK, but you should improve your padding
      so it doesn't do that.
      Good armour should let you move without drawing blood.
      If it's not doing that, talk to an armourer.
      If you have one nearby, that's the best - even if you are making your own
      armour, someone else might know something you don't, or know a particular
      solution you haven't thought of yet.
      That should be true of any kind of armour - even if the armourer only does
      metal and you have plastic, they should know something about how a rigid
      casing fits over your non-rigid body, and where to put specific straps, even
      if they don't know how to make the adjustments to your medium.
      If you don't have an armourer nearby, try on line; the Armour Archive is a
      good place for advice.
      I recommend looking through the archives to see if your question has been
      addressed before.
      http://www.armourarchive.org/

      Sometimes the answer is having a reputable armourer make you custom armour,
      designed to fit you.
      Sometimes the answer is to get off the shelf armour and adjust it to you.
      Sometimes the answer is to make your own armour.
      Sometimes the answer is a really good gambeson (the padded jacket that goes
      under your armour).

      In all of those cases, Wolfy is right - you never really finish with
      armour - as your needs change, your armour needs to change.
      What works for sword and shield may not work for pole arm, especially if you
      usually use basket hilts and a hand cage on your shield.
      And what works for heavy fighting is not quite legal for cut and thrust.

      I hope that helps you sort things out; let us know how things are going, and
      if you don't already have an armourer nearby, I'm sure somebody knows
      somebody who does.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands (Waukegan IL)
      Middle Kingdom (Midwest)

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
        In a message dated 11/5/2008 3:25:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        calderdeclairvaux@... writes:

        <<So a question about my first (second, but first real attempt with quality
        stuff...) set of
        fighting armour....
        Should new armour feel uncomfortable? Should I feel like I have to break it
        in? Get used to
        it? Learn to move in it?>>

        I'm not a fighter, but I've spoken with quite a few of them. It's my
        understanding that, while you do need to get used to the weight, if the armor is
        restricting your movement it is not properly fitted. Think about it. This stuff
        was supposed to save your life. Making you awkward and unable to move
        comfortably and quickly would have the opposite effect. No true medieval fighter
        would have put up with armor that severely hampered his ability to defend
        himself. And I have seen an SCA fighter in properly fitted armor get knocked over
        backwards, do a backwards roll, and come up on his feet - admittedly, he was a
        former gymnast, but obviously his armor wasn't impeding his ability to move.

        If it is the weight that is causing you problems, that's a matter of training
        in it and getting yourself accustomed to it. But if the armor design digs in
        when you try to bend a joint, or prevents you from moving in some direction,
        then it's not fitted right.

        My best suggestion is to find someone in your area, if you can, who is into
        authentic armor. Most people will tell you that authentic armor is heavy and
        uncomfortable and you can't really fight properly in it. But the ones who use
        authentic armor are the ones who know how it really fitted. Most SCA fighters
        are making something that looks like armor but doesn't really work the way
        the real stuff did. You can probably also get good advice from the better
        fighters in your kingdom, as they will have found ways to make their armor work -
        they just may not be the way the real stuff worked.

        Lancaster, PA
        Holiday needs. Search Now.
        -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2008
          A good way to get used to the weight is doing yard work (raking leaves is
          good for this ) in full armor.sure ya get weird looks but after a while you
          forget that you are even wearing it. Start off easy and work your way up.
          Another way to get use to a shield and/or helmet is to wear it while
          watching TV. You won't even realize you are wearing it.

          Egill Skorrason

          Shire of Iron Ox

          Kingdom of Gleann Abhann