New fighter question...

  • calderdeclairvaux
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
      Hi! My name is Calder, and I am a sort-of newbie/returning to the SCA. I started back up
      last year in Artemisia (Utah) in the Barony of Loch Salaan (salt Lake City) and really enjoy it.
      There are some great people here it seems...
      So a question about my first (second, but first real attempt with quality stuff...) set of
      fighting armour....
      Should new armour feel uncomfortable? Should I feel like I have to break it in? Get used to
      it? Learn to move in it?
      My first attempt at getting armour last year was horrible, as I was learning what to and not -
      to buy and had a bunch of stuff I just didn't need at all and that made it just no fun and
      that did not work with my body at all. I ended up not being able to move and was really just
      a good pell for the other fighters. Totally not fun. So I went with a lot lighter stuff this year
      but still worry about being able to move. It's still a bit cumbersome and unwieldily, but maybe that is me just needing to get used to it. I'm ok if I know it is supposed to feel this
      way, and that through hard work I can learn, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips on
      how to know if it just isn't right, or what it should feel like.
      Thanks!
    • Little Gray Wolfy
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
        Calder,

        As you advance through fighting in the SCA your body, skill and armor
        will change.
        Fighter's armor is never "done", wel continuously keep adding or
        removing bits and pieces.

        The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
        matter and those who matter don't mind.
        If everyone cared and nobody cried, If everyone loved and nobody lied,
        If everyone shared and swallowed their pride, Then we'd see the day
        when nobody died!

        On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:26 PM, calderdeclairvaux
        <calderdeclairvaux@...> wrote:
        > Hi! My name is Calder, and I am a sort-of newbie/returning to the SCA. I started back up
        > last year in Artemisia (Utah) in the Barony of Loch Salaan (salt Lake City) and really enjoy it.
        > There are some great people here it seems...
        > So a question about my first (second, but first real attempt with quality stuff...) set of
        > fighting armour....
        > Should new armour feel uncomfortable? Should I feel like I have to break it in? Get used to
        > it? Learn to move in it?
        > My first attempt at getting armour last year was horrible, as I was learning what to and not -
        > to buy and had a bunch of stuff I just didn't need at all and that made it just no fun and
        > that did not work with my body at all. I ended up not being able to move and was really just
        > a good pell for the other fighters. Totally not fun. So I went with a lot lighter stuff this year
        > but still worry about being able to move. It's still a bit cumbersome and unwieldily, but maybe that is me just needing to get used to it. I'm ok if I know it is supposed to feel this
        > way, and that through hard work I can learn, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips on
        > how to know if it just isn't right, or what it should feel like.
        > Thanks!
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
          Hello Calder - good to meet you!

          Some of the answer to your question depends of what type of armour you have:
          plastic, leather or metal.
          You can't break plastic or metal in, but you can reshape them - sometimes
          you only need a small adjustment.
          I know a lot can also depend on the exact placement of straps.
          (Pun intended.)

          You CAN break leather in, but if it's doing that, it's probably not really
          funtioning as armour anymore.

          I have seen a demonstration of a knight in plate metal jousting armour doing
          cartwheels and somersaults.
          Little bruises, or armour bites are OK, but you should improve your padding
          so it doesn't do that.
          Good armour should let you move without drawing blood.
          If it's not doing that, talk to an armourer.
          If you have one nearby, that's the best - even if you are making your own
          armour, someone else might know something you don't, or know a particular
          solution you haven't thought of yet.
          That should be true of any kind of armour - even if the armourer only does
          metal and you have plastic, they should know something about how a rigid
          casing fits over your non-rigid body, and where to put specific straps, even
          if they don't know how to make the adjustments to your medium.
          If you don't have an armourer nearby, try on line; the Armour Archive is a
          good place for advice.
          I recommend looking through the archives to see if your question has been
          addressed before.
          http://www.armourarchive.org/

          Sometimes the answer is having a reputable armourer make you custom armour,
          designed to fit you.
          Sometimes the answer is to get off the shelf armour and adjust it to you.
          Sometimes the answer is to make your own armour.
          Sometimes the answer is a really good gambeson (the padded jacket that goes
          under your armour).

          In all of those cases, Wolfy is right - you never really finish with
          armour - as your needs change, your armour needs to change.
          What works for sword and shield may not work for pole arm, especially if you
          usually use basket hilts and a hand cage on your shield.
          And what works for heavy fighting is not quite legal for cut and thrust.

          I hope that helps you sort things out; let us know how things are going, and
          if you don't already have an armourer nearby, I'm sure somebody knows
          somebody who does.

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands (Waukegan IL)
          Middle Kingdom (Midwest)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
            In a message dated 11/5/2008 3:25:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            calderdeclairvaux@... writes:

            <<So a question about my first (second, but first real attempt with quality
            stuff...) set of
            fighting armour....
            Should new armour feel uncomfortable? Should I feel like I have to break it
            in? Get used to
            it? Learn to move in it?>>

            I'm not a fighter, but I've spoken with quite a few of them. It's my
            understanding that, while you do need to get used to the weight, if the armor is
            restricting your movement it is not properly fitted. Think about it. This stuff
            was supposed to save your life. Making you awkward and unable to move
            comfortably and quickly would have the opposite effect. No true medieval fighter
            would have put up with armor that severely hampered his ability to defend
            himself. And I have seen an SCA fighter in properly fitted armor get knocked over
            backwards, do a backwards roll, and come up on his feet - admittedly, he was a
            former gymnast, but obviously his armor wasn't impeding his ability to move.

            If it is the weight that is causing you problems, that's a matter of training
            in it and getting yourself accustomed to it. But if the armor design digs in
            when you try to bend a joint, or prevents you from moving in some direction,
            then it's not fitted right.

            My best suggestion is to find someone in your area, if you can, who is into
            authentic armor. Most people will tell you that authentic armor is heavy and
            uncomfortable and you can't really fight properly in it. But the ones who use
            authentic armor are the ones who know how it really fitted. Most SCA fighters
            are making something that looks like armor but doesn't really work the way
            the real stuff did. You can probably also get good advice from the better
            fighters in your kingdom, as they will have found ways to make their armor work -
            they just may not be the way the real stuff worked.

            Lancaster, PA
            Holiday needs. Search Now.
            -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2008
              A good way to get used to the weight is doing yard work (raking leaves is
              good for this ) in full armor.sure ya get weird looks but after a while you
              forget that you are even wearing it. Start off easy and work your way up.
              Another way to get use to a shield and/or helmet is to wear it while
              watching TV. You won't even realize you are wearing it.

              Egill Skorrason

              Shire of Iron Ox

              Kingdom of Gleann Abhann