RE: [SCA Newcomers] Serious business in the kingdom!

  • Maria Buchanan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
      Thanks Otto.
      I had never heard of it happening.  But what you said makes sense.
      Maria

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
        That makes sense ... I thought it might be something more limited to
        SCA activities (such as cheating in a Crown Tournament, as was
        mentioned before) rather than actual criminal activities. Scary stuff.
        Thank you very much for answering my question, Otto, and thanks to
        everyone else for their input.

        - Jen

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Otto von Schwyz"
        <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote:

        > Well, this is the dirty side of the SCA. Absolute Banishment is
        necessary
        > for many reasons and is needed before revoking and banning
        membership. A
        > few reasons come to mind; sexual assault, stealing of funds and/or
        SCA owned
        > liabilities; or any other major crime committed against the SCA or
        in the
        > modern world. The reasons will never be published due to privacy
        laws for
        > the victim and the accused.
        >

        > Lesser sanctions are Office Sanctions, where you could lose your
        warrant and
        > possibility the ability to hold office for up to five years.
        >

        > If you are interested in how this process works, look up the
        proceeding in
        > Corpora.
        >

        > Yours in Service,
        >
        > Herr Otto von Schwyz
        >
        > Society Chronicler

      • Little Gray Wolfy
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
          Unfortunately, I have heard and seen too much about this issue then I
          would like to...
          And know how this incident affected everyone in the SCA trying to
          pursue the same activity.

          No matter how many good people there in SCA, there is always a black
          sheep among the flock.

          ~Wolfy ( I swear I didn't eat a shee*burp* >_> )

          The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
          matter and those who matter don't mind.
          If everyone cared and nobody cried, If everyone loved and nobody lied,
          If everyone shared and swallowed their pride, Then we'd see the day
          when nobody died!
        • Kristen Praiswater
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
            I know someone who almost got banished for bashing the King and Queen to a newcomer.  That just happened at Gulf Wars this year.  It all got worked out but he wont be seeing the title of Knight anytime soon.

            Kristen

          • jeffnaggie@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
              Absolute banishments may happen for breaking a modern law...usually for things serious enough to be considered a felony. I am not sure if that is the only reason for an absolute banishment but its is one that I am aware of.

              Hillary of Langeforde