Serious business in the kingdom!

  • Jen
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
      I just read in my Pikestaff something I didn't notice before - a Royal
      Sanction of Absolute Banishment of an individual. I looked up the
      handbook passage referenced, and if I'm understanding this right, this
      is a banishment from playing in ANY kingdom!

      Whoa.

      What kind of serious act would one have to commit to be absolutely
      banished from the SCA in general? I understand the reasons are not to
      be published or made public by the Crown or anyone else, but wow. Does
      anyone have an idea? I can't help but wonder.

      - Jen
    • Maria Buchanan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
        I've actually never heard of it happening.
        However, I could think of at least one thing that would make me consider it ... Cheating in a Crown Tournament.
        Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
        Maria Buchanan
        Kingdom of Ansteorra

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
          Well, this is the dirty side of the SCA. Absolute Banishment is necessary
          for many reasons and is needed before revoking and banning membership. A
          few reasons come to mind; sexual assault, stealing of funds and/or SCA owned
          liabilities; or any other major crime committed against the SCA or in the
          modern world. The reasons will never be published due to privacy laws for
          the victim and the accused.

          Lesser sanctions are Office Sanctions, where you could lose your warrant and
          possibility the ability to hold office for up to five years.

          If you are interested in how this process works, look up the proceeding in
          Corpora.

          Yours in Service,

          Herr Otto von Schwyz

          Society Chronicler

          I just read in my Pikestaff something I didn't notice before - a Royal
          Sanction of Absolute Banishment of an individual. I looked up the
          handbook passage referenced, and if I'm understanding this right, this
          is a banishment from playing in ANY kingdom!

          Whoa.

          What kind of serious act would one have to commit to be absolutely
          banished from the SCA in general? I understand the reasons are not to
          be published or made public by the Crown or anyone else, but wow. Does
          anyone have an idea? I can't help but wonder.

          - Jen

        • christopher chastain
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
            Ive seen one absolute banishment for some one convicted of possesion of child pornography. That and another one for someone who portrayed themselves as a knight when they hadnt earned the title. You reallyhave to screw up big to be sentenced to the executioner like that. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Do not scorn the weak cub. It might become the brutal tiger!" Mongol Proverb"Only a hand that can grasp a sword may hold a sceptre!" Tatar Proverb

            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: scarlettmb@...: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:11:03 -0800Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Serious business in the kingdom!

            I've actually never heard of it happening. However, I could think of at least one thing that would make me consider it ... Cheating in a Crown Tournament. Lady Elizabeta Maria dei MediciMaria BuchananKingdom of Ansteorra--- On Tue, 11/4/08, Jen <the_electronaut@...> wrote:From: Jen <the_electronaut@...>Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Serious business in the kingdom!To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comDate: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 8:02 PMI just read in my Pikestaff something I didn't notice before - a RoyalSanction of Absolute Banishment of an individual. I looked up thehandbook passage referenced, and if I'm understanding this right, thisis a banishment from playing in ANY kingdom!Whoa.What kind of serious act would one have to commit to be absolutelybanished from the SCA in general? I understand the reasons are not tobe published or made public by the Crown or anyone else, but wow. Doesanyone have an idea? I can't help but wonder.- Jen[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          • Maria Buchanan
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
              Thanks Otto.
              I had never heard of it happening.  But what you said makes sense.
              Maria

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
                That makes sense ... I thought it might be something more limited to
                SCA activities (such as cheating in a Crown Tournament, as was
                mentioned before) rather than actual criminal activities. Scary stuff.
                Thank you very much for answering my question, Otto, and thanks to
                everyone else for their input.

                - Jen

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Otto von Schwyz"
                <ottovonschwyz@...> wrote:

                > Well, this is the dirty side of the SCA. Absolute Banishment is
                necessary
                > for many reasons and is needed before revoking and banning
                membership. A
                > few reasons come to mind; sexual assault, stealing of funds and/or
                SCA owned
                > liabilities; or any other major crime committed against the SCA or
                in the
                > modern world. The reasons will never be published due to privacy
                laws for
                > the victim and the accused.
                >

                > Lesser sanctions are Office Sanctions, where you could lose your
                warrant and
                > possibility the ability to hold office for up to five years.
                >

                > If you are interested in how this process works, look up the
                proceeding in
                > Corpora.
                >

                > Yours in Service,
                >
                > Herr Otto von Schwyz
                >
                > Society Chronicler

              • Little Gray Wolfy
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2008
                  Unfortunately, I have heard and seen too much about this issue then I
                  would like to...
                  And know how this incident affected everyone in the SCA trying to
                  pursue the same activity.

                  No matter how many good people there in SCA, there is always a black
                  sheep among the flock.

                  ~Wolfy ( I swear I didn't eat a shee*burp* >_> )

                  The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
                  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
                  matter and those who matter don't mind.
                  If everyone cared and nobody cried, If everyone loved and nobody lied,
                  If everyone shared and swallowed their pride, Then we'd see the day
                  when nobody died!
                • Kristen Praiswater
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                    I know someone who almost got banished for bashing the King and Queen to a newcomer.  That just happened at Gulf Wars this year.  It all got worked out but he wont be seeing the title of Knight anytime soon.

                    Kristen

                  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Absolute banishments may happen for breaking a modern law...usually for things serious enough to be considered a felony. I am not sure if that is the only reason for an absolute banishment but its is one that I am aware of.

                      Hillary of Langeforde