name "Freya" (was: Name help?)

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2008
      Emily Davis wrote:
      > what's really holding me up is not knowing how to find out whether or
      > not a name was truly used back then. . .

      > My favorite name-possibility is Freya (Or Freyja). . .

      I wrote a separate post about the more general question of how to find
      out what names were used in period. Here's the skinny on the
      particular name "Freya":

      In May of 1997, Laurel Sovereign at Arms wrote
      <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1997/05/lar.html>:

      > There is no documentation for the name Freya/Freyja being used for
      > anyone but the Goddess in our period.

      So far as I know, nothing has come to light since then.

      There are some feminine Scandinavian names reminiscent of "Freya",
      however. "Freger├░r" is found in the Landnamab├│k (an Icelandic source),
      for example
      <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/norse/landnamabok.html>. And
      "Frelgis" was used in the 12th century and "Fridha" in the 14th in
      Sweden <http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/smp/nameindex.html>.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra