Re: Anyone here from Shire of the Storm

  • njal_tjorkilsson
    Message 1 of 2565 , Jul 8 4:19 PM
      Well congratulations and welcome aboard! Sounds
      like you have already tapped the SCA website and your
      local branch, so you are already a step ahead of most
      newcomers.<br><br>As you have probably gleaned from the SCA website,
      we play the middle ages: Fighting, arts, crafts,
      sciences, etc. From calligraphy and illumination, to
      armoring and blacksmithing, To brewing and herbalism,
      pretty much every part of medieval life is recreated.
      (excepting some of the more painful parts like the
      inquisition, slavery/ serfdom, etc).<br><br>A lady can do any
      of these things as can a man. Thers are several lady
      fighters as well as men. Same goes for any of the other
      medieval interests. If any area of the middle ages catches
      your interest, then there are probly others who do it
      as well and are always looking for more people to
      play with.<br><br>The SCA can be a blast. Like
      anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.
      Fighting for example takes time and effort and a little
      money to do (There are usually folks around who have
      loaner armor, so you can try it out for yourself). Same
      goes for musicians, cooks, scribes, armorers,
      etc.<br><br>Your local chatelaine/ hospitaller will have plenty of
      info for you.<br><br>Monthly meetings are generally in
      mundane attire (as opposed to "in garb") Again, check
      with the locals (it may be different there).<br><br>I
      hope this is helpful for you. Stick around here. There
      are plenty of folks around who are
      subject-matter-experts on a lot of this stuff.<br><br>Again, welcome to
      the current middle ages!<br><br>Here's some links for
    • bubdog101
      Message 2565 of 2565 , Dec 6, 2003