[MODERATOR] Question to the group regarding merchant post

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
      I have a pending needs-moderator-approval message that is a new merchant
      announcing their business venture. We are generally a non-commercial
      list here, but it is an SCA-related business.

      I'd like to solicit comments from the populace on the list as to whether
      to allow this post or to request that the merchant take it elsewhere.
      This decision may set a precedent for similar posts from others. On the
      one hand, SCA newcomers are potentially interested in SCA-related
      businesses and merchants. On the other hand, how much advertising do we
      want on the list?

      I personally have no strong opinion on this one. Ultimately, it will be
      my decision as Moderator, but I wanted to solicit input from others on
      the list. I'd like to make a decision by Wednesday evening, so if you
      care to weigh in on this, please do it soon. Thanks.

      Justin
      List Moderator

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
        I would love to find a merchant page. Could there be one started just for SCA merchants? That way we wouldn't have to sift through other stuff if we're looking for merchanting items.
        I'm all for the idea, but I'd like it on a separate list.

        AElfwynn
        Kingdom of Meridies

[...]

        List Moderator

        --
        ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()
        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/ sca/justin/

      • Trish Mickelsen
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
          A number of areas have their own merchants page.  I am in An Tir & we have a merchants page.  Wouldn't mind seeing a separate page for countrywide merchants.  Sometimes newcomers would like to have a mug or set of dishes, etc before going to their first event.  I am going to be looking for a leather bag for hubby to wear on his belt for Christmas but no events before then to get one.  Those are my thoughts.

           Hugs & Kisses,
          Trish

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
            On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 20:04 -0700, wendy brown wrote:
            > I would love to find a merchant page. Could there be one started just
            > for SCA merchants? That way we wouldn't have to sift through other
            > stuff if we're looking for merchanting items.
            > I'm all for the idea, but I'd like it on a separate list.

            Thanks for the suggestion.

            It happens that my lady and I are the publishers of SCAtoday.net, and we
            already have a merchant-specific email list there. It's called
            "commercial@...", and you can subscribe at

            This of course doesn't preclude someone else from starting such a list
            if they want. The Internet is a big place with room for lots of people's
            contributions. :-)

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • jennifer Meyer
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
              I do not think this is the froum that would best suit a business like that. However, another website,yahoo group, etc... started for merchants would be great. As a newbie myself ( I have been in since Jan of 07) I looked for merchants on line to buy things from.

              "Normal is a setting on a dryer"

            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                Actually, I think that a brief add, telling us the main focus of the
                merchandise and a link to the website would be good.
                Even better is the opportunity for people who have purchased from that
                merchant to offer comment.
                That would be a valuable resource for any SCAdian, not just newcomers.

                People on this list certainly don't hesitate to recommend merchants when
                they like their merchandise and prices, and that's true for non-SCA specific
                merchants, as well.
                (Such as Fabric Store.com.)

                I don't feel the need for yet another Yahoo list to watch, but perhaps a
                links page with links to merchants who get recommended frequently?
                It would be nice to have the websites all in one place, as someone else
                suggested, and not have to go looking all over the place every time you want
                something.

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                  I agree, I would like to know of good places to purchase plus size garb.

                   Vicky

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                    > I have a pending needs-moderator-approval message that is a new merchant
                    > announcing their business venture. We are generally a non-commercial
                    > list here, but it is an SCA-related business.
                    >
                    > I'd like to solicit comments from the populace

                    Greetings Master Iustinos,

                    Something that a number of list do that I'm a member of, is have a
                    designated "Ad Day" where people who have things to sell can list
                    their business (and or items for sale) once or twice a week -
                    depending on how often is tolerated by the other list members. It's
                    useful because the members are reminded of the merchants without being
                    unduly inundated with ads every day.

                    Another idea is to make sure that merchants have a link to their
                    website business in their signature - an alternative if you don't want
                    to "clutter" the list (or to be used in addition to the "Ad Day" idea)
                    with advertisements.

                    Just a thought. E-mail me if you would like more details about the idea.

                    Your servant,
                    Finnseach
                    Dernehealde
                    --
                    "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you
                    know, sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                      I am new, less than one year, haven't even received my card yet.  I wouldn't mind a separate page for merchants, perhaps as a link at the beginning or end of each e-mail.  However, I don't think I would like to sift through a lot of commercial announcements to get to the info I want to read.  It would be like putting commercials in the middle of a PBS program, and defeat the purpose.  Just my $0.02 worth.

                      Patti

                      "Tu es responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as approvoise." Le Renard en "Le Petit Prince" Antoine de St. Exupery.

                      You are responsible forever for that which you tame.

                    • Marcia Moraes
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                        Hello,

                        I would like to point out that Yahoo has a SCA Merchants group. They
                        are at:

                        YIS
                        Marcia
                        Formerly of Iron Mountain
                        Kingdon of Meridies
                        Now living at the Barony of Tarnmist
                        Kingdon of the West
                      • kathyg@hiwaay.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                          Greetings,

                          Having been on both sides of this fence, I would like to toss out my thoughts.

                          For the list:

                          The list is an open, but limited discussion on a given subject. I have seen
                          other list, both inside & outside of SCA, just get completely covered in ads to
                          the point that everyone quite trying to hold any kind of discussion. There is
                          not much of any fair and equial way to try to limit / control the number of ads
                          posted. One list permitted unlimited ads just one day a week / month. Anyone
                          that advertist on any other day was dropped from the list.

                          For the merchant:

                          Yes, they need to inform peoples of their goods and services, especially in a
                          very narrow market like the SCA. The cost of doing this needs to be keeped
                          low, because it is one of the overhead cost that is just added into the price
                          of the goods / services.

                          Suggestion:

                          Since the basic information about the merchant and thier goods / services does
                          NOT change that much, then the merchant should be listed on a *merchant's
                          page*, like the SCA-Today person spoke of. There does need to be one complete
                          list for all SCA & SCA related merchants. After a merchant is listed on this
                          page, then the list moderator may permitted short ads about special sales one
                          day per week / month. AND / OR the moderator run an automatic email on the
                          list once a month to inform new list members of the web page for merchants.
                          Then any list member can then go to the merchant's web page and check the
                          offered goods / servicers.

                          Side Note: There are so many emails filling up the space on line, do we really
                          need to generate thousands / millions more for each costumer - merchant
                          conection & sales?

                          Does this list have a information page where general information, sources, how-
                          to's, FAQ, and MERCHANTS are listed so that this same basic information does
                          NOT have to be repetedly posted in emails?

                          Yes, while both new & old SCA'ers need to be informed of merchant's goods /
                          services, their discussion should not be completely over run with merchat's
                          advertisiments. My basic, bottom-line feeling is that for the most part,
                          merchant's should be placed on a list on some web page, then this web page
                          refferanced in the email posted on the list, & the moderator may permitted ads
                          of speical sales, ect. from time to time on the list.

                          Note: talking ABOUT a merchant, as to how good their wares / serverices are for
                          the price that they charge IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT from a merchant repetedly
                          postsing ads about themself and their goods / services.

                          In service to the Dream,

                          Alara

                          Pegasus's Treasures

                          Kingdom of Meridies

                          Quoting Judith Winner <fionnseachdelochielle@...>:

                          > > I have a pending needs-moderator-approval message that is a new
                          > merchant
                          > > announcing their business venture. We are generally a non-commercial
                          > > list here, but it is an SCA-related business.
                          > >
                          > > I'd like to solicit comments from the populace
                          >
                          > Greetings Master Iustinos,
                          >
                          > Something that a number of list do that I'm a member of, is have a
                          > designated "Ad Day" where people who have things to sell can list
                          > their business (and or items for sale) once or twice a week -
                          > depending on how often is tolerated by the other list members. It's
                          > useful because the members are reminded of the merchants without being
                          > unduly inundated with ads every day.
                          >
                          > Another idea is to make sure that merchants have a link to their
                          > website business in their signature - an alternative if you don't want
                          > to "clutter" the list (or to be used in addition to the "Ad Day" idea)
                          > with advertisements.
                          >
                          > Just a thought. E-mail me if you would like more details about the
                          > idea.
                          >
                          > Your servant,
                          > Finnseach
                          > Dernehealde
                          > --
                          > "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you
                          > know, sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough
                          > chocolate in the house, it's Tuesday, I need it for my research
                          > project, it was a rescue..." ;)

                        • christopher chastain
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                            You spoke my thoughts exactly my only adendum would be a rating of the merchant as well. Too many bad merchants out there and if its a bad deal then folks need to be warned. Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Only a hand that can grasp a sword may hold a sceptre!" Tatar Proverb

                            To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: kathyg@...: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 13:10:55 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] [MODERATOR] Question to the group regarding merchant post

                            Greetings,Having been on both sides of this fence, I would like to toss out my thoughts.For the list:The list is an open, but limited discussion on a given subject. I have seen other list, both inside & outside of SCA, just get completely covered in ads to the point that everyone quite trying to hold any kind of discussion. There is not much of any fair and equial way to try to limit / control the number of ads posted. One list permitted unlimited ads just one day a week / month. Anyone that advertist on any other day was dropped from the list.For the merchant:Yes, they need to inform peoples of their goods and services, especially in a very narrow market like the SCA. The cost of doing this needs to be keeped low, because it is one of the overhead cost that is just added into the price of the goods / services.Suggestion:Since the basic information about the merchant and thier goods / services does NOT change that much, then the merchant should be listed on a *merchant's page*, like the SCA-Today person spoke of. There does need to be one complete list for all SCA & SCA related merchants. After a merchant is listed on this page, then the list moderator may permitted short ads about special sales one day per week / month. AND / OR the moderator run an automatic email on the list once a month to inform new list members of the web page for merchants. Then any list member can then go to the merchant's web page and check the offered goods / servicers. Side Note: There are so many emails filling up the space on line, do we really need to generate thousands / millions more for each costumer - merchant conection & sales? Does this list have a information page where general information, sources, how-to's, FAQ, and MERCHANTS are listed so that this same basic information does NOT have to be repetedly posted in emails?Yes, while both new & old SCA'ers need to be informed of merchant's goods / services, their discussion should not be completely over run with merchat's advertisiments. My basic, bottom-line feeling is that for the most part, merchant's should be placed on a list on some web page, then this web page refferanced in the email posted on the list, & the moderator may permitted ads of speical sales, ect. from time to time on the list.Note: talking ABOUT a merchant, as to how good their wares / serverices are for the price that they charge IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT from a merchant repetedly postsing ads about themself and their goods / services.In service to the Dream,AlaraPegasus's TreasuresKingdom of MeridiesQuoting Judith Winner <fionnseachdelochielle@...>:> > I have a pending needs-moderator-approval message that is a new> merchant> > announcing their business venture. We are generally a non-commercial> > list here, but it is an SCA-related business.> >> > I'd like to solicit comments from the populace> > Greetings Master Iustinos,> > Something that a number of list do that I'm a member of, is have a> designated "Ad Day" where people who have things to sell can list> their business (and or items for sale) once or twice a week -> depending on how often is tolerated by the other list members. It's> useful because the members are reminded of the merchants without being> unduly inundated with ads every day.> > Another idea is to make sure that merchants have a link to their> website business in their signature - an alternative if you don't want> to "clutter" the list (or to be used in addition to the "Ad Day" idea)> with advertisements.> > Just a thought. E-mail me if you would like more details about the> idea.> > Your servant,> Finnseach> Dernehealde> -- > "I'm buying this fleece/fiber now in case I have an emergency... you> know, sickness, flood, injury, mosquito infestations, not enough> chocolate in the house, it's Tuesday, I need it for my research> project, it was a rescue..." ;)>

                          • Bulgarelli Maria
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                              Hey Justin,

                              I'd say it would depend on several things.
                              1. Does the merchant intend to advertise regularly or would it be a once in a while thing (IE I'm going to be at such-an-such event, I have this on special)
                              2. Is the Merchant a member of the SCA (If they are, they should understand that we don't want to see advertisements all the time)
                              3. Do they understand that this is a list for Newcomers so they will probably be seeing a lot of stuff about making your own clothing, etc.
                              4. (AND MOST IMPORTANT)

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                                Ok I'm going to try that again ...
                                4 (AND MOST IMPORTANT) We do not want them soliciting business on the list.  If they want to contact someone who asked a question, they should email that person or email the list and say contact me privately.  No giving prices on the list (my opinion - which is why it's most important - hehehe).

                                Maria

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                                  Oh.  Also I don't think there's a problem with the merchant putting a link to his web site in the links page on the yahoo group.
                                  Maria

[...]

                                  List Moderator

                                  --
                                  fesswise reversed sable.

                                  justin@... http://4th.com/ sca/justin/

                                • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 8, 2008
                                    So is there anywhere for someone who is not a merchant but would LIKE to
                                    hear about new (and old)
                                    SCA business ventures? Perhaps someone looking to shop a bit?
                                    YIS,

                                    Giertrud Gyldenstierne