Re: [SCA Newcomers] Corset Pattern

  • Kristen
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
      Hi everyone I made a mistake in telling you how to get your
      measurements. You need to measure your bust, waist, hips, your bust
      to waist measurement ( that's the top of your bust to your natural
      waist about 2 inches above your belly button), and your waist to hip
      measurement ( right at the hip joint). Divide your bust, waist and,
      hip measurements by 4, and start making your paper pattern.

      Sorry everyone
      Hugs and Loves,
      Kristen
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Trish Mickelsen
      <herbalcrafter@...> wrote:

      > Thank you so very much!
      >
      >  Hugs & Kisses,
      > Trish

      hope you guys have fun making this in your sewing group.

      > Hugs and Kisses,
      > Kristen

      & have get togethers often.  Please & thank you.

      >  Hugs & Kisses,
      >
      > Trish

      this is THE best way to make it short an sweet ;0)

      > Thank for all the instructions! May I have your permission to print
      it for an eventually SCA Seemstress class in my Shire?

      > Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien,
      >
      > châtelaine and chronicler for
      >
      > Shire La Selve d`Aure, EK
      >
      > To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comFrom: spellsinger28@
      yahoo.comDate: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 05:12:24 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers]
      Corset Pattern

      > Okay everyone, I promised you the instructions and the materials
      list needed to construct a corset. This corset is strapless and as
      Mistress Isolde told us, was made with a woman's curves in mind and
      will fit everyone.You' ll need 2 packages of 1/4" grommets2" twill
      tape2 packages of 1" bias tape in the color of your fashion fabric1
      1/2 yards or 2yards of non fusible interfacing1 1/2 yards or 2 of
      fashion fabric, make sure it has a high thread count1 1/2 yards or 2
      of Muslin, Cotton, or any other natural fabric for lining material1
      yard of craft weight pellonthreadchalk for marking patternnewspaper or
      brown paper bagbones we used steel boning.1) Measure your bust, waist
      , hips, and torso. To measure your torso you should measure from the
      top of your collar bone to your hip joint.2) With a yard stick, mark
      your torso measurement on part of the paper. Then start marking your
      other measurements opposite of your first torso measure. Starting at
      your bust

      > measurement start connecting the dots marking your natural curve,
      and hip. At the top of the pattern make a french curve, for the top of
      your corset, making a slight dip under where the arm will be for
      comfort. Do the same for the bottom of the corset making sure that the
      highest point of your corset pattern is going to be at your hip, this
      is so you can sit and walk comfortably. Cut out the pattern, don't
      worry you only need the one peice, when you start cutting your fabric
      and stuff you'll end up with four pieces of each fabric.3) Start
      cutting out your fabrics. You want four of the fashion fabric, four of
      the lining, and four of the interfacing. Mark which way the pattern
      goes so you don't forget which way is up or down..4) Sew the front and
      backs of your fashion fabric together, and then the lining fabric
      together.5) Cut the heavyweight pellon about 3" wide and as long as
      the front and back edge of your corset. That would be the side with the

      > straight edge.6) Bast stitch the Heavyweight pellon to the four
      straight edges of your corset, then baste stitch the interfacing on
      top of that. Find and mark where your natual waist is and baste stitch
      the 2" twill tape inside the corset.7) With chalk or bits of soap mark
      where the casings for your bones will be on the outside of your
      fashion fabric. The straight edges should be about 1/2 inch to
      accomodate for 1/4" wide bones and casings, the bones on the front
      will be doubled one on top of the other, there should be about a 1
      1/4" space where the grommets will go before you mark for the other
      set of 1/4" bones. For the body of the corset, you want to make the
      casings about 1" to accomodate 1/2" inch bones and casings. After each
      bone you want to keep that 1 1/4" space.8) Pin the lining to the right
      side of the fashion fabric and stitch together at the straight edges,
      at this point it should look like a pillow case. After the edges are
      stitched, flip

      > the corset inside out, it should look the fashion fabric should be
      in the front and the lining should be over the twill tape and
      interfacing. Start sewing down the lines you drew for your bones.9) If
      using steel bones, snip them to your length, round out the edges, and
      dip into this rubbery tool dip stuff you can get it in the hardware
      section at most stores. With the rest of your heavyweight pellon make
      bone casings, and start putting the bones in your corset, use the bias
      tape to trim the tops and bottoms of your garment. Then add the
      grommets spacing them about 1" apart on your corset peices, you may
      need more than 2 packages of grommets. You can use whatever you want
      for the laces, one suggestion is boot laces they're sturdy. You should
      have 15 bones for each pair of bodies, this corset laces in the back
      as well as the front so that it can be adjusted to your body and all
      the fun feminine changes it goes through.I hope this helps, as soon as
      I can

      > I'll post pictures of each step so you can see the process.Kristen

    • Kristen Praiswater
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
        Your very welcome, I had to make corrections to the instructions on getting your measurements so don't forget to get that part and print them too.

        Kristen