Re: [SCA Newcomers] names

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Message 1 of 92 , Oct 6, 2008
      Freda wrote:
      > . . . I'm not sure how complex a process I need to do to decide on a
      > name. I have found some that are documented at St. Gabriel. Can I just
      > use that?

      The Medieval Names Archive <http://s-gabriel.org/names/> and the past
      reports of the Academy of Saint Gabriel
      <http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/archive.cgi> are both
      excellent places to look for names, and well regarded by the College of
      Arms. One caveat: Check the dates on any reports you plan to use as
      documentation, and if they're more than a few years old consider asking
      your branch herald or another consulting herald to verify the currency
      of its findings. Some of the older ones contain conclusions that have
      been found to be inaccurate or incomplete as additional information has
      become available. (This suggestion doesn't really apply to the
      articles in the M.N.A.; they're usually just updated when new data come
      to light. Reports are more static.)

      If you decide to register your name with the S.C.A. College of Arms,
      you'll need to print out the introduction to each article or report
      you're using as a source and the page(s) containing the name(s) that
      you've chosen and attach them to your submission form.

      > I have determined a period and a country- Italy 1480-1550 give or take.

      Then head to the Medieval Names Archive's guide to Italian names
      <http://s-gabriel.org/names/italian.shtml>, pick a region, and look at
      some articles in the appropriate section. Choose a given name of the
      appropriate gender and a surname. If you can't find one of each you
      like in the same article, try to use articles that are based on records
      from as close together in time and space as possible. If your persona
      is feminine and the surname you've chosen was used in the original
      records to refer to a man, check with your branch herald or another
      consulting herald to make sure you don't need to feminize the surname;
      the answer will depend on its type. That's all there is to it.

      If you don't have access to a local consulting herald who can help you,
      I'll be happy to. Just drop me a line off-list.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>
    • Lee B
      Message 92 of 92 , Nov 11, 2008
        Thank you ,thank you for the kind explanation, I'm so happy it passed. now i can work on a device of some sort. . where to begin!!!???    I did see a name that is my real name backwards and added last name..  Beatrice Lillian Miller I believe.  that's my real name in reverse but minus the Miller part. thought it kinda neat. thanks again, Awyanhwy, and all that shed light on my confusion. I will patiently now await my letter!!!!
        thanks,
         Beatrice Lilli
         Stonemarche
        Kingdom of the East

        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, dark chocolate in one hand, frozen mudslide in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ "WOO HOO, what a ride!!"

        If all is not lost, Where is it???????????? Lee