RE: [SCA Newcomers] Corset Pattern

  • Kristen Praiswater
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
      Yes, you can print the instructions, for your class.  You are very welcome.  I hope your class goes well.

      Kristen

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
        Yes absolutely, you can print the instructions for the ladies.  I hope you guys have fun making this in your sewing group.

        Hugs and Kisses,
        Kristen

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
          Go raibh maith agat Lady Kristen! --Thanks you very much or literellaytraducted from irish gaelic: God be on you ;0) .
          Lady Éadaoin

          Précepte de vie "Éadaoin" no.

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: spellsinger28@...: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:10:18 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Corset Pattern

          Yes absolutely, you can print the instructions for the ladies. I hope you guys have fun making this in your sewing group.Hugs and Kisses,Kristen--- On Mon, 10/6/08, Trish Mickelsen <herbalcrafter@...> wrote:From: Trish Mickelsen <herbalcrafter@...>Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Corset PatternTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, October 6, 2008, 12:30 AMI was going to say & ask the same thing. Our ladies are avid sewers & have get togethers often. Please & thank you. Hugs & Kisses,Trish ----- Original Message ----From: Marlene Ladouceur <airekielle@hotmail. com>To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, October 5, 2008 7:03:19 PMSubject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Corset PatternDia duit!As I`m a seemstress till approximatively. ..10 years, I can say that this is THE best way to make it short an sweet ;0)Thank for all the instructions! May I have your permission to print it for an eventually SCA Seemstress class in my Shire?Lady Éadaoin Uì Brien,châtelaine and chronicler forShire La Selve d`Aure, EKTo: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comFrom: spellsinger28@ yahoo.comDate: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 05:12:24 +0000Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Corset PatternOkay everyone, I promised you the instructions and the materials list needed to construct a corset. This corset is strapless and as Mistress Isolde told us, was made with a woman's curves in mind and will fit everyone.You' ll need 2 packages of 1/4" grommets2" twill tape2 packages of 1" bias tape in the color of your fashion fabric1 1/2 yards or 2yards of non fusible interfacing1 1/2 yards or 2 of fashion fabric, make sure it has a high thread count1 1/2 yards or 2 of Muslin, Cotton, or any other natural fabric for lining material1 yard of craft weight pellonthreadchalk for marking patternnewspaper or brown paper bagbones we used steel boning.1) Measure your bust, waist , hips, and torso. To measure your torso you should measure from the top of your collar bone to your hip joint.2) With a yard stick, mark your torso measurement on part of the paper. Then start marking your other measurements opposite of your first torso measure. Starting at your bustmeasurement start connecting the dots marking your natural curve, and hip. At the top of the pattern make a french curve, for the top of your corset, making a slight dip under where the arm will be for comfort. Do the same for the bottom of the corset making sure that the highest point of your corset pattern is going to be at your hip, this is so you can sit and walk comfortably. Cut out the pattern, don't worry you only need the one peice, when you start cutting your fabric and stuff you'll end up with four pieces of each fabric.3) Start cutting out your fabrics. You want four of the fashion fabric, four of the lining, and four of the interfacing. Mark which way the pattern goes so you don't forget which way is up or down.4) Sew the front and backs of your fashion fabric together, and then the lining fabric together.5) Cut the heavyweight pellon about 3" wide and as long as the front and back edge of your corset. That would be the side with thestraight edge.6) Bast stitch the Heavyweight pellon to the four straight edges of your corset, then baste stitch the interfacing on top of that. Find and mark where your natual waist is and baste stitch the 2" twill tape inside the corset.7) With chalk or bits of soap mark where the casings for your bones will be on the outside of your fashion fabric. The straight edges should be about 1/2 inch to accomodate for 1/4" wide bones and casings, the bones on the front will be doubled one on top of the other, there should be about a 1 1/4" space where the grommets will go before you mark for the other set of 1/4" bones. For the body of the corset, you want to make the casings about 1" to accomodate 1/2" inch bones and casings. After each bone you want to keep that 1 1/4" space.8) Pin the lining to the right side of the fashion fabric and stitch together at the straight edges, at this point it should look like a pillow case. After the edges are stitched, flipthe corset inside out, it should look the fashion fabric should be in the front and the lining should be over the twill tape and interfacing. Start sewing down the lines you drew for your bones.9) If using steel bones, snip them to your length, round out the edges, and dip into this rubbery tool dip stuff you can get it in the hardware section at most stores. With the rest of your heavyweight pellon make bone casings, and start putting the bones in your corset, use the bias tape to trim the tops and bottoms of your garment. Then add the grommets spacing them about 1" apart on your corset peices, you may need more than 2 packages of grommets. You can use whatever you want for the laces, one suggestion is boot laces they're sturdy. You should have 15 bones for each pair of bodies, this corset laces in the back as well as the front so that it can be adjusted to your body and all the fun feminine changes it goes through.I hope this helps, as soon as I canI'll post pictures of each step so you can see the process.Kristen ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Trish Mickelsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2008
            Thank you so very much!

             Hugs & Kisses,
            Trish

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
              Hi everyone I made a mistake in telling you how to get your
              measurements. You need to measure your bust, waist, hips, your bust
              to waist measurement ( that's the top of your bust to your natural
              waist about 2 inches above your belly button), and your waist to hip
              measurement ( right at the hip joint). Divide your bust, waist and,
              hip measurements by 4, and start making your paper pattern.

              Sorry everyone
              Hugs and Loves,
              Kristen
              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Trish Mickelsen

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                Your very welcome, I had to make corrections to the instructions on getting your measurements so don't forget to get that part and print them too.

                Kristen

                To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comFrom: spellsinger28@ yahoo.comDate: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:10:18 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Corset Pattern

                Yes absolutely, you can print the instructions for the ladies. I hope you guys have fun making this in your sewing group.Hugs and Kisses,Kristen- -- On Mon, 10/6/08, Trish Mickelsen <herbalcrafter@ yahoo.com> wrote:From: Trish Mickelsen <herbalcrafter@ yahoo.com>Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Corset PatternTo: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, October 6, 2008, 12:30 AMI was going to say & ask the same thing. Our ladies are avid sewers & have get togethers often. Please & thank you. Hugs & Kisses,Trish ----- Original Message ----From: Marlene Ladouceur <airekielle@ hotmail. com>To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. comSent: Sunday, October 5, 2008 7:03:19 PMSubject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] Corset PatternDia duit!As I`m a seemstress till approximatively. ..10 years, I can say that this is THE best way to make it short an sweet ;0)Thank for all the instructions! May I have your permission to print it for an eventually SCA Seemstress class in my Shire?Lady