Re: [SCA Newcomers] post

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:04 +0000, Rose wrote:
      > I'm so sorry. I had no idea that grouply message was going out to
      > all the groups. I thought
      > it went to the individuals on my list. Someone from another list
      > sent
      > it to me and I thought, "what the heck?" Again, I'm sorry it went
      > out
      > to everyone.

      Apology accepted, and thanks for letting me know you're a person and not
      a spambot. I've adjusted your list privileges accordingly. :-)

      In general, I am very wary of those social networking sites' features
      that notify a lot of people at once. Their motivation usually isn't to
      help you network with friends, but rather to increase the hit count on
      their site. And of course there's the list-sprayout problem you've just
      encountered and documented.

      In any case, welcome to the list, and don't feel bad about the mistake.
      You are by no means the first person to encounter such a problem, either
      here or on the other lists I moderate elsewhere. :-)

      Kind regards,

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 08:45 -0700, Shere'e wrote:
        > For this reason many lists
        > including Snopes, will prohibit you from joining their list/will
        > remove you from the list if you are using Grouply. That is how bad it
        > is for everyone else on the list.

        As Moderator on this list, I take a fairly strong line against autospam
        from things like Grouply. However, Rose made a point of apologizing on
        the list and is taking steps to remedy the problem, and I declined to
        take further action at this time. Your warning about Grouply (and its
        ilk) resetting the opt-out after thirty days is well-taken, however, and
        I thank you for sharing that cautionary note.

        Kind regards,

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Trish Mickelsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          Grouply members are banned in most Yahoo groups.

           Hugs & Kisses,
          Trish