post

  • Rose
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2008
      Hi everyone,
      I'm so sorry. I had no idea that grouply message was going out to
      all the groups. I thought
      it went to the individuals on my list. Someone from another list sent
      it to me and I thought, "what the heck?" Again, I'm sorry it went out
      to everyone.
      Rose

      --
    • Shere'e
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        You may want to reconsider using Grouply. I find it offensive that you are
        basicly giving them the right to SPAM us.

        Using Grouply opens up all of the rest of the people on this list for SPAM
        and other issues. Grouply will send "reminders" to everyone periodicly
        unless you opt out. The opt out is only good for 30 days. Also, while
        Grouply does not directly sale or rent out the addresses of the people who
        are signed up, it DOES harvest the addresses of anyone who posts to any of
        the groups that you are with. None of us have the protection of the terms
        and conditions and can be SPAMMED all they want! For this reason many lists
        including Snopes, will prohibit you from joining their list/will remove you
        from the list if you are using Grouply. That is how bad it is for everyone
        else on the list.

        Miranda d'Gages

      • Justinos Tekton
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:04 +0000, Rose wrote:
          > I'm so sorry. I had no idea that grouply message was going out to
          > all the groups. I thought
          > it went to the individuals on my list. Someone from another list
          > sent
          > it to me and I thought, "what the heck?" Again, I'm sorry it went
          > out
          > to everyone.

          Apology accepted, and thanks for letting me know you're a person and not
          a spambot. I've adjusted your list privileges accordingly. :-)

          In general, I am very wary of those social networking sites' features
          that notify a lot of people at once. Their motivation usually isn't to
          help you network with friends, but rather to increase the hit count on
          their site. And of course there's the list-sprayout problem you've just
          encountered and documented.

          In any case, welcome to the list, and don't feel bad about the mistake.
          You are by no means the first person to encounter such a problem, either
          here or on the other lists I moderate elsewhere. :-)

          Kind regards,

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
        • Justinos Tekton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
            On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 08:45 -0700, Shere'e wrote:
            > For this reason many lists
            > including Snopes, will prohibit you from joining their list/will
            > remove you from the list if you are using Grouply. That is how bad it
            > is for everyone else on the list.

            As Moderator on this list, I take a fairly strong line against autospam
            from things like Grouply. However, Rose made a point of apologizing on
            the list and is taking steps to remedy the problem, and I declined to
            take further action at this time. Your warning about Grouply (and its
            ilk) resetting the opt-out after thirty days is well-taken, however, and
            I thank you for sharing that cautionary note.

            Kind regards,

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Trish Mickelsen
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
              Grouply members are banned in most Yahoo groups.

               Hugs & Kisses,
              Trish

              You may want to reconsider using Grouply. I find it offensive that you are
              basicly giving them the right to SPAM us.

              Using Grouply opens up all of the rest of the people on this list for SPAM
              and other issues. Grouply will send "reminders" to everyone periodicly
              unless you opt out. The opt out is only good for 30 days. Also, while
              Grouply does not directly sale or rent out the addresses of the people who
              are signed up, it DOES harvest the addresses of anyone who posts to any of
              the groups that you are with. None of us have the protection of the terms
              and conditions and can be SPAMMED all they want! For this reason many lists
              including Snopes, will prohibit you from joining their list/will remove you
              from the list if you are using Grouply. That is how bad it is for everyone
              else on the list.

              Miranda d'Gages

              __.._,_.___
              Messages in this topic (2) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
              Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Polls | Members | Calendar

              Recent Activity
              *  8
              New MembersVisit Your Group
              Star Wars on Y!