Re: Cut and Thrust?

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
      Check your kingdom's website. Cut and Thrust is a valid style in all
      18 kingdoms that have rapier (Calontir still outlaws rapier combat).

      Generally speaking you can look it up under your Kingdom Rapier
      Marshal's heading for rules etc. Also your local group's Rapier
      Marshal should have some answers fro you as well. If you don't know or
      have a local group nearby, see if you can find your Baronial,
      Principality or Regional Rapier Marshal. If all fails, the Kingdom
      Rapier Marshal (KRM) should be very happy to assist you in locating a
      rapier marshal near you, though do try to locate the nearest one on
      your own first as the KRM is likely, as you can imagine, a very busy
      person.

      Ian

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "koleyporter" <koley.porter@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been checking out the SCA online and am interested in archery
      and cut & thrust
      > fighting (as well as dressing up and such). I became a little
      confused about the acceptance/
      > legality of cut & thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and
      thrust still an accepted fighting
      > form? Thanks!

    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
        On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 +0000, David Roland wrote:
        > Calontir still outlaws rapier combat

        Really? I didn't know that. (I believe you...I'm just curious as to why
        one kingdom would outlaw a particular activity that is done in the rest
        of the Known World with a good safety record.)

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
          I would also like to know why Calontir has 'banned the fencers'.

          As a relatively new Scadian, there's a lot of history that I haven't heard
          yet, and this sounds like a good story.

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 +0000, David Roland wrote:
          > Calontir still outlaws rapier combat

          Really? I didn't know that. (I believe you...I'm just curious as to why
          one kingdom would outlaw a particular activity that is done in the rest
          of the Known World with a good safety record.)

          fesswise reversed sable.

          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

        • koleyporter
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            Thanks for the direction! I am in Austin, TX, which places me in the SCA kingdom of
            Ansteorra. I will check <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/> for information. I appreciate the
            quick responses from everyone!

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:

            > koleyporter wrote:
            > > I became a little confused about the acceptance/legality of cut &
            > > thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an
            > > accepted fighting form?
            >
            > The answer to this question (and many others) will depend upon where in
            > the Known World you are. There are Society-wide rules for various
            > martial endeavors, but the individual kingdoms often have additional
            > restrictions. You can learn about Ansteorra's cut-and-thrust rules at
            > <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/>, for instance.
            >
            > If you're not sure which kingdom is yours, go to
            > <http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html> and follow the instructions
            > there to identify it. Then I recommend you get into the habit of
            > including the information when you write to this list. When you have a
            > question, the answer will be affected by where you are more often than
            > you might think.
            >

            > Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
            > Kingdom of Ansteorra
            > <mailto:Coblaith@...>

          • David Roland
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
              I am not privy to the internal workings of Calontir. I have heard
              rumor of there being a Yahoo! group or some other kind of discussion
              group called Calontir Fencers. I'm not on it so I don't know if it
              truly exists.

              You may find your answers on such a list.

              Ian