Re: [SCA Newcomers] Cut and Thrust?

  • Pat Allies
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      M'Lord
      Your question is not an easy one to answer. Where are you located? It vary's between kingdoms. Here in An Tir C & T is just getting started and the rules and authorizations are having growing pains.
      Good Luck
      Bart Archer
      Appledore Shire Champion
      Princepality of Tir Righ
      Kingdom of An Tir

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
        koleyporter wrote:
        > I became a little confused about the acceptance/legality of cut &
        > thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an
        > accepted fighting form?

        The answer to this question (and many others) will depend upon where in
        the Known World you are. There are Society-wide rules for various
        martial endeavors, but the individual kingdoms often have additional
        restrictions. You can learn about Ansteorra's cut-and-thrust rules at
        <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/>, for instance.

        If you're not sure which kingdom is yours, go to
        <http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html> and follow the instructions
        there to identify it. Then I recommend you get into the habit of
        including the information when you write to this list. When you have a
        question, the answer will be affected by where you are more often than
        you might think.

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
          Check your kingdom's website. Cut and Thrust is a valid style in all
          18 kingdoms that have rapier (Calontir still outlaws rapier combat).

          Generally speaking you can look it up under your Kingdom Rapier
          Marshal's heading for rules etc. Also your local group's Rapier
          Marshal should have some answers fro you as well. If you don't know or
          have a local group nearby, see if you can find your Baronial,
          Principality or Regional Rapier Marshal. If all fails, the Kingdom
          Rapier Marshal (KRM) should be very happy to assist you in locating a
          rapier marshal near you, though do try to locate the nearest one on
          your own first as the KRM is likely, as you can imagine, a very busy
          person.

          Ian

          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "koleyporter" <koley.porter@...>
          wrote:

          > I have been checking out the SCA online and am interested in archery
          and cut & thrust
          > fighting (as well as dressing up and such). I became a little
          confused about the acceptance/
          > legality of cut & thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and
          thrust still an accepted fighting
          > form? Thanks!

        • Justinos Tekton
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 +0000, David Roland wrote:
            > Calontir still outlaws rapier combat

            Really? I didn't know that. (I believe you...I'm just curious as to why
            one kingdom would outlaw a particular activity that is done in the rest
            of the Known World with a good safety record.)

            fesswise reversed sable.

            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              I would also like to know why Calontir has 'banned the fencers'.

              As a relatively new Scadian, there's a lot of history that I haven't heard
              yet, and this sounds like a good story.

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 +0000, David Roland wrote:
              > Calontir still outlaws rapier combat

              Really? I didn't know that. (I believe you...I'm just curious as to why
              one kingdom would outlaw a particular activity that is done in the rest
              of the Known World with a good safety record.)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/

            • koleyporter
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                Thanks for the direction! I am in Austin, TX, which places me in the SCA kingdom of
                Ansteorra. I will check <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/> for information. I appreciate the
                quick responses from everyone!

                --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:

                > koleyporter wrote:
                > > I became a little confused about the acceptance/legality of cut &
                > > thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an
                > > accepted fighting form?
                >
                > The answer to this question (and many others) will depend upon where in
                > the Known World you are. There are Society-wide rules for various
                > martial endeavors, but the individual kingdoms often have additional
                > restrictions. You can learn about Ansteorra's cut-and-thrust rules at
                > <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/>, for instance.
                >
                > If you're not sure which kingdom is yours, go to
                > <http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html> and follow the instructions
                > there to identify it. Then I recommend you get into the habit of
                > including the information when you write to this list. When you have a
                > question, the answer will be affected by where you are more often than
                > you might think.
                >

                > Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                > Kingdom of Ansteorra
                > <mailto:Coblaith@...>

              • David Roland
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                  I am not privy to the internal workings of Calontir. I have heard
                  rumor of there being a Yahoo! group or some other kind of discussion
                  group called Calontir Fencers. I'm not on it so I don't know if it
                  truly exists.

                  You may find your answers on such a list.

                  Ian