Cut and Thrust?

  • koleyporter
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      I have been checking out the SCA online and am interested in archery and cut & thrust
      fighting (as well as dressing up and such). I became a little confused about the acceptance/
      legality of cut & thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an accepted fighting
      form? Thanks!
    • Pat Allies
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        M'Lord
        Your question is not an easy one to answer. Where are you located? It vary's between kingdoms. Here in An Tir C & T is just getting started and the rules and authorizations are having growing pains.
        Good Luck
        Bart Archer
        Appledore Shire Champion
        Princepality of Tir Righ
        Kingdom of An Tir

        I have been checking out the SCA online and am interested in archery and cut & thrust
        fighting (as well as dressing up and such). I became a little confused about the acceptance/
        legality of cut & thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an accepted fighting
        form? Thanks!

      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
          koleyporter wrote:
          > I became a little confused about the acceptance/legality of cut &
          > thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an
          > accepted fighting form?

          The answer to this question (and many others) will depend upon where in
          the Known World you are. There are Society-wide rules for various
          martial endeavors, but the individual kingdoms often have additional
          restrictions. You can learn about Ansteorra's cut-and-thrust rules at
          <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/>, for instance.

          If you're not sure which kingdom is yours, go to
          <http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html> and follow the instructions
          there to identify it. Then I recommend you get into the habit of
          including the information when you write to this list. When you have a
          question, the answer will be affected by where you are more often than
          you might think.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            Check your kingdom's website. Cut and Thrust is a valid style in all
            18 kingdoms that have rapier (Calontir still outlaws rapier combat).

            Generally speaking you can look it up under your Kingdom Rapier
            Marshal's heading for rules etc. Also your local group's Rapier
            Marshal should have some answers fro you as well. If you don't know or
            have a local group nearby, see if you can find your Baronial,
            Principality or Regional Rapier Marshal. If all fails, the Kingdom
            Rapier Marshal (KRM) should be very happy to assist you in locating a
            rapier marshal near you, though do try to locate the nearest one on
            your own first as the KRM is likely, as you can imagine, a very busy
            person.

            Ian

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "koleyporter" <koley.porter@...>
            wrote:

            > I have been checking out the SCA online and am interested in archery
            and cut & thrust
            > fighting (as well as dressing up and such). I became a little
            confused about the acceptance/
            > legality of cut & thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and
            thrust still an accepted fighting
            > form? Thanks!

          • Justinos Tekton
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 +0000, David Roland wrote:
              > Calontir still outlaws rapier combat

              Really? I didn't know that. (I believe you...I'm just curious as to why
              one kingdom would outlaw a particular activity that is done in the rest
              of the Known World with a good safety record.)

              fesswise reversed sable.

              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                I would also like to know why Calontir has 'banned the fencers'.

                As a relatively new Scadian, there's a lot of history that I haven't heard
                yet, and this sounds like a good story.

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                  Thanks for the direction! I am in Austin, TX, which places me in the SCA kingdom of
                  Ansteorra. I will check <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/> for information. I appreciate the
                  quick responses from everyone!

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:

                  > koleyporter wrote:
                  > > I became a little confused about the acceptance/legality of cut &
                  > > thrust within the rules of the SCA. Is cut and thrust still an
                  > > accepted fighting form?
                  >
                  > The answer to this question (and many others) will depend upon where in
                  > the Known World you are. There are Society-wide rules for various
                  > martial endeavors, but the individual kingdoms often have additional
                  > restrictions. You can learn about Ansteorra's cut-and-thrust rules at
                  > <http://rapier.ansteorra.org/>, for instance.
                  >
                  > If you're not sure which kingdom is yours, go to
                  > <http://sca.org/geography/findsca.html> and follow the instructions
                  > there to identify it. Then I recommend you get into the habit of
                  > including the information when you write to this list. When you have a
                  > question, the answer will be affected by where you are more often than
                  > you might think.
                  >

                  > Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                  > Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                  > Kingdom of Ansteorra
                  > <mailto:Coblaith@...>

                • David Roland
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2008
                    I am not privy to the internal workings of Calontir. I have heard
                    rumor of there being a Yahoo! group or some other kind of discussion
                    group called Calontir Fencers. I'm not on it so I don't know if it
                    truly exists.

                    You may find your answers on such a list.

                    Ian