Re: [SCA Newcomers] Bodices

  • Shere'e
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 25, 2008
      One of the best busks I have ever found is free! Go to your local
      hardware store and ask for some 5 gallon paint sticks. Cut them down
      to size and round the edges off with your sander. They work like a
      dream!

      Miranda d'Gages
      www.webeweddings.com
      Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 25, 2008
          The 5 gallon paint sticks are almost 1/2" thick that is why I use them
          instead of the more common 1 gallon paint sticks. The bigger ones are
          intended to reach into a huge (5 gallon) bucket of paint and as thick
          as it is the stick has to be pretty sturdy to handle it.

          I am a larger lady and pretty active as well. I have never had any
          problems with them nor have any of the people I have ever taught/made
          them for. One of our local fencers uses them in hers (she is the one
          that taught me) and she fights in it.

          Miranda d'Gages

          On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM, <Ziddinaaitzumar@...> wrote:
          > Hmm. I never thought of that. I used a solid piece of oak, because I tend to slump a little during court. I was afraid that anything less strong might snap - I'm pretty active in my corsets. My oak busks are about 1/2" thick, and I cut the base of the oak in a 'point' to really maintain the corset's shape. I also made 2 lacing holes in the base of the corset (4, through corset and lining) and drilled 2 holes in the oak, so I could lace the busk into the corset and not have it pop! out at an inopportune moment. Ziddina

          > From: Shere'e <shereerobinson@...>
          > One of the best busks I have ever found is free! Go to your local
          > hardware store and ask for some 5 gallon paint sticks. Cut them down
          > to size and round the edges off with your sander. They work like a
          > dream!
          >
          > Miranda d'Gages
          > www.webeweddings.com
          > Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
        • Jennifer Davis
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 25, 2008
            Unfortunately I'm a pretty visual person. I understand some parts of
            the directions, but I would love a visual...
            Also I would like to suggest heavy or doubled up hemp cording for the
            bones. It all depends on what period corset you are gunning for:
            earlier=lighter boning, later= heavier boning. I'm trying to remember
            what I used in my first successful corset. I think it was thinly
            trimmed 1 gallon paint sticks- but I really didn't know what I was
            doing at the time.

            Jenn D

          • David
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 26, 2008
              For a lighter boning, my girlfriend uses zip-ties. The ones she gets
              are the thicker 2-3 foot long ones. They come in a pack of 10 or so
              if I'm remembering correctly and are found in the electrical sections
              of Home Depot and Lowes. Just cut them to whatever length you need
              and smooth/round out the ends with a Dremmel.

              I think they work a little better than using wood as I've seen
              suggested just because you can wash them without them warping. Just
              be careful not to dry it in a dryer as the heat would warp the shape.

              Hope that helps someone

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Davis <prplfrog1@...>
              wrote:

> [...]

              > > conforms to the typical shape, there will be a slight
              inverted "U"
              > > shape to the corset, which will give the side-areas a bit of a
              > > "bias" cut - still more breathing room for you!!
              > >
              > > 7. Using canvas, denim, or other heavy materials (perhaps 2
              > > layers), make one or two "practice" corsets, wearing them for a
              few
              > > hours (you could use popsicle sticks, or heavy duct taping, to
              > > approximate the boning areas...??) to test comfort and fit.
              > > 8. Tweak the practice corsets, using the redesigned pattern for
              > > your first real corset! Don't be afraid to do a little further
              > > tweaking of the pattern if needed...
              > >
              > > Hope this helps... Ziddina

              > > From: <prplfrog1@...>
              > > I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one
              > > made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

            • Justinos Tekton
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 26, 2008
                On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:37 +0000, David wrote:
                > I think they work a little better than using wood as I've seen
                > suggested just because you can wash them without them warping. Just
                > be careful not to dry it in a dryer as the heat would warp the shape.

                Do be aware that the plastic used in zip ties does eventually harden and
                embrittle, and they can fracture with moderately-sharp edges (not
                knife-like, but enough to hurt if they poke you in a tender spot!). The
                embrittlement happens faster when the zip ties are exposed to heat or
                sunlight, but I presume that after a few years it could also happen
                without heat or sun exposure. It might be good to check the zip tie
                boning every few years by gently flexing it. And I would concur with the
                advice to avoid hot dryers for the boning, though for this reason in
                addition to the one David expressed.

                Kind regards,

                Justin
                (Electrical engineer in the modern world...uses zip ties a lot)

                fesswise reversed sable.

                justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
              • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 26, 2008
                  Zip ties!! That's a scream!! :D Seriously, if a person wants to go "authentic" (with the caveat that we cannot exactly duplicate, we can only approximate...), the twists of fabrics and strips of fabrics are fairly authentic... Haven't found the reference yet, but have been told this by several ladies whose opinions I respect.

                  On the subject of wood, I have never seen or heard of wood being used for the boning - that's the multiple pieces of stiffener used all around the corset. I've only heard of wood being used as the busk, the center-front stiffener only - but get this, and this is also a scream - during Elizabethan times they actually used bundles of swamp grass tied together (small bundles) as corset boning! You can check this out in the book "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd", page 147, photos #232 and 233, which are also excellent visuals for the construction and finished look of a real Elizabethan corset.

                  I would guess that the swamp grass is softer, yet more resilient, than wood, which would tend to splinter if too much stress were put on it??? If one wants to approximate whalebone, one could take a number of feathers, strip the downy part so that all you have remaining is the center 'quill', then split and glue them together (think 'laminate') and use this as boning - there's someplace on the internet that used to sell this type of product for re-enactors. One would have to own a turkey farm to get that many feathers, I guess??

                  I also forgot to mention, although I think everyone probably figured this out; when being taped into the t-shirt, be sure to lift your bosom to the level that you wish it to be, when in the corset. Also, the bottom of my first corset simply followed my waistline, but one can certainly add a center-front bottom point, if one wishes. Ziddina

                  From: "David" <dave138h@...>

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  and you will need this to be able to breathe. Also, if the corset
                  > > conforms to the typical shape, there will be a slight
                  inverted "U" shape to the corset, which will give the side-areas a bit of a
                  > > "bias" cut - still more breathing room for you!!
                  > >
                  > > 7. Using canvas, denim, or other heavy materials (perhaps 2
                  > > layers), make one or two "practice" corsets, wearing them for a
                  few hours (you could use popsicle sticks, or heavy duct taping, to
                  > > approximate the boning areas...??) to test comfort and fit.
                  > > 8. Tweak the practice corsets, using the redesigned pattern for
                  > > your first real corset! Don't be afraid to do a little further
                  > > tweaking of the pattern if needed...
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps... Ziddina
                  > > From: <prplfrog1@...>
                  > > I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one
                  > > made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                • Shere'e
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 26, 2008
                    Please do be VERY careful to use high strength zip ties and DO NOT use
                    plastic boning! I was medic on a call where a young lady of generous
                    proportions had plastic boning snap and pierced her lung. NOT a thing I
                    would want to see/deal with again!!!

                    Miranda

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 26, 2008
                      Youch, that sounds like it would hurt. I hope she was okay. Thank you everyone, actually all the ideas have been very useful..i think i am going to see what I can do with the zip ties and paint stirs..I think paint stirrs come in plastic now adays but then again I am not sure gues I will have to consult my fiancee and see what he thinks. I know that if I use zip ties or paint stirrers (if they are plastic) I can at least wash my bodice/corset even though i know better then to dry it.

                      morgana

                      Zip ties!! That's a scream!! :D Seriously, if a person wants to go
                      "authentic" (with the caveat that we cannot exactly duplicate, we can only
                      approximate. ..), the twists of fabrics and strips of fabrics are fairly
                      authentic... Haven't found the reference yet, but have been told this by
                      several ladies whose opinions I respect.

                    • Kristen Praiswater
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 28, 2008
                        Okay, as soon as I get the instructions, I'll get them posted and or sent to you.
                        You're very welcome.

                        Hugs and Kisses,
                        Kristen

                        Kristen, I would be interested.  If no one else is interested you can send to me privately.  Thanks for offering.

                         Hugs & Kisses,
                        Trish

                        From: Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@sbcglobal . net>
                        To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com
                        Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 4:05 PM

                        morgana wrote:
                        > . . .while i have been attending faires etc and have learned to make
                        > my own skirts and chemises..i dont seem to have the paitence to make
                        > my own bodice (have tried twice and thrown it down in frustration) .
                        > Anyone know where i can purchases bodice that are good quality and are
                        > decently price?

                        First, quickly, I want to make sure you know that the bodice-and-skirt
                        look common at Renaissance fairs is not accurate to any period before
                        1600. If you're looking to do Elizabethan garb, I recommend you visit
                        the Elizabethan Costume Page <http://elizabethanc ostume.net/> , the
                        Renaissance Tailor site
                        <http://www.renaissa ncetailor. com/demos_ main.htm>, and Extreme
                        Costuming <http://www.extremec ostuming. com/articles. html> to learn more
                        about real Renaissance clothing. If you want something pretty but less
                        elaborate or easier to make, you might look into earlier periods. A
                        Gothic fitted dress, for instance, creates a lovely silhouette
                        <http://www.cottesim ple.com/>, and a bliaut is always dramatic
                        <http://camelot- treasures. com/aenor/>
                        <http://www.geocitie s.com/louise_ de_la_mare/ 12th_Century_ Bliaut.htm>.
                        You can see a lot of different people's garb from a lot of different
                        periods in the MedCos galleries
                        <http://slumberland. org/moodle/ course/view. php?id=5>.

                        Now, with that out of the way: A properly-fitted pair of bodies must
                        be made to measure. If you want to wear one, I recommend you contact
                        your local S.C.A. branch to ask whether there are any local clothiers
                        who have experience with the process and take commissions. Failing
                        that, you might try sending a "wanted" post to the S.C.A. 4 Sale Yahoo!
                        Group <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCAforsale /> or a similar list, or
                        contacting a corsetiere who will customize a pattern for you.
                        (Meschantes <http://www.meschant es.com/>, for example, looks
                        promising.) Do your research before you talk to vendors, and make sure
                        you know exactly what you need. That way you can give them the
                        information necessary for them to put together an accurate quote or
                        tell you if they don't have the particular skills required to make what
                        you want at the beginning. There are articles on the sites mentioned
                        above that should be a big help; some actually include step-by-step
                        instructions for making bodies, and any competent clothier should be
                        able to follow them.

                        Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

                        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                        Kingdom of Ansteorra
                        <mailto:Coblaith@ sbcglobal. net>

                      • Traci Earhart
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 28, 2008
                          I must have missed this post...I would LOVE a copy please.

> [...]

                          who have experience with the process and take commissions. Failing
                          that, you might try sending a "wanted" post to the S.C.A. 4 Sale Yahoo!
                          Group <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCAforsale /> or a similar list, or
                          contacting a corsetiere who will customize a pattern for you.
                          (Meschantes <http://www.meschant es.com/>, for example, looks
                          promising.) Do your research before you talk to vendors, and make sure
                          you know exactly what you need. That way you can give them the
                          information necessary for them to put together an accurate quote or
                          tell you if they don't have the particular skills required to make what
                          you want at the beginning. There are articles on the sites mentioned
                          above that should be a big help; some actually include step-by-step
                          instructions for making bodies, and any competent clothier should be

                        • Trish Mickelsen
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 28, 2008
                            Thank you bunches.

                             Hugs & Kisses,
                            Trish

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 28, 2008
                              I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted soon.

                              Kristen

                              I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                              Jenn D

                            • Otto von Schwyz
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 29, 2008
                                With all of the chatter about bodices; has anyone taken a look at this
                                website?

                                http://www.elizabethancostume.net/

                                Otto

                                --- On Wed, 9/24/08, prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                From: prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                <prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com>
                                To: scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                Cc: "Kristen Praiswater" <spellsinger28@ <mailto:spellsinger28%40yahoo.com>
                                yahoo.com>
                                Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:06 PM

                                I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about
                                8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                                Jenn D

                              • Justinos Tekton
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 29, 2008
                                  On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 21:11 -0700, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                                  > I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted
                                  > soon.

                                  Good M'Lady,

                                  If you plan to post the instructions to this list, please be sure you
                                  have permission from the author first. There is an implied copyright on
                                  any written material even if not specifically stated by the author. We
                                  want to stay on the right side of courtesy and modern-world law. :-)

                                  Thanks!

                                  Kind regards,

                                  Justin
                                  List Moderator

                                  fesswise reversed sable.

                                  justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                                • jennifer Meyer
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 29, 2008
                                    the instructions will be great. thanks for offering it up to the group. Guinevere

                                    "Normal is a setting on a dryer"

                                  • Otto von Schwyz
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 29, 2008
                                      Thank you Justin for the reminder.

                                      Herr Otto von Schwyz
                                      Society Chronicler

                                      On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 21:11 -0700, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                                      > I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted
                                      > soon.

                                      Good M'Lady,

                                      If you plan to post the instructions to this list, please be sure you
                                      have permission from the author first. There is an implied copyright on
                                      any written material even if not specifically stated by the author. We
                                      want to stay on the right side of courtesy and modern-world law. :-)

                                      Thanks!

                                      Kind regards,

                                      Justin
                                      List Moderator

                                      --
                                      ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

                                        From: prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                        <prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com>
                                        To: scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                        Cc: "Kristen Praiswater" <spellsinger28@ <mailto:spellsinger28%40yahoo.com>
                                        yahoo.com>
                                        Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:06 PM

                                        I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about
                                        8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                                        Jenn D

                                      • Otto von Schwyz
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 30, 2008
                                          I prefer the "personally fitted" version myself. And that line can get me
                                          into trouble and that is for a different newsgroup. :-)

                                          Otto

                                          From: "Otto von Schwyz" <ottovonschwyz@
                                          <mailto:ottovonschwyz%40bellsouth.net> bellsouth.net>
                                          With all of the chatter about bodices; has anyone taken a look at this
                                          website?

                                          http://www.elizabet <http://www.elizabethancostume.net/> hancostume.net/

                                          Otto

                                        • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net