Bodices

  • morvina
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 23 9:13 AM
      okay, my fiancee and i are new to the SCA and our kingdom..and while i
      have been attending faires etc and have learned to make my own skirts
      and chemises..i dont seem to have the paitence to make my own bodice
      (have tried twice and thrown it down in frustration). Anyone know where
      i can purchases bodice that are good quality and are decently price?

      morgana
    • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 23 2:05 PM
        morgana wrote:
        > . . .while i have been attending faires etc and have learned to make
        > my own skirts and chemises..i dont seem to have the paitence to make
        > my own bodice (have tried twice and thrown it down in frustration).
        > Anyone know where i can purchases bodice that are good quality and are
        > decently price?

        First, quickly, I want to make sure you know that the bodice-and-skirt
        look common at Renaissance fairs is not accurate to any period before
        1600. If you're looking to do Elizabethan garb, I recommend you visit
        the Elizabethan Costume Page <http://elizabethancostume.net/>, the
        Renaissance Tailor site
        <http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_main.htm>, and Extreme
        Costuming <http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles.html> to learn more
        about real Renaissance clothing. If you want something pretty but less
        elaborate or easier to make, you might look into earlier periods. A
        Gothic fitted dress, for instance, creates a lovely silhouette
        <http://www.cottesimple.com/>, and a bliaut is always dramatic
        <http://camelot-treasures.com/aenor/>
        <http://www.geocities.com/louise_de_la_mare/12th_Century_Bliaut.htm>.
        You can see a lot of different people's garb from a lot of different
        periods in the MedCos galleries
        <http://slumberland.org/moodle/course/view.php?id=5>.

        Now, with that out of the way: A properly-fitted pair of bodies must
        be made to measure. If you want to wear one, I recommend you contact
        your local S.C.A. branch to ask whether there are any local clothiers
        who have experience with the process and take commissions. Failing
        that, you might try sending a "wanted" post to the S.C.A. 4 Sale Yahoo!
        contacting a corsetiere who will customize a pattern for you.
        (Meschantes <http://www.meschantes.com/>, for example, looks
        promising.) Do your research before you talk to vendors, and make sure
        you know exactly what you need. That way you can give them the
        information necessary for them to put together an accurate quote or
        tell you if they don't have the particular skills required to make what
        you want at the beginning. There are articles on the sites mentioned
        above that should be a big help; some actually include step-by-step
        instructions for making bodies, and any competent clothier should be
        able to follow them.

        Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

        Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Barony of Bryn Gwlad
        Kingdom of Ansteorra
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
      • Kristen Praiswater
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 23 7:11 PM
          I agree, with all that has been said in this post.  We had a sewing class on the construction of a proper corset, our very own Mistress Isolde taught it.  It's very easily done once you get the measuring and the paper pattern cut out.  I'm almost finished with both of mine.  If you would like I can get the instructions and post them for you and for anyone else who is interested in making one.

          Kristen

          Group <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCAforsale /> or a similar list, or
          contacting a corsetiere who will customize a pattern for you.
          (Meschantes <http://www.meschant es.com/>, for example, looks
          promising.) Do your research before you talk to vendors, and make sure
          you know exactly what you need. That way you can give them the
          information necessary for them to put together an accurate quote or
          tell you if they don't have the particular skills required to make what
          you want at the beginning. There are articles on the sites mentioned
          above that should be a big help; some actually include step-by-step
          instructions for making bodies, and any competent clothier should be
          able to follow them.

          Good luck, and welcome to the Society!

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

        • Trish Mickelsen
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 23 10:27 PM
            Kristen, I would be interested.  If no one else is interested you can send to me privately.  Thanks for offering.

             Hugs & Kisses,
            Trish

          • prplfrog1@stny.rr.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 24 5:06 PM
              I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.
              Jenn D

            • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 25 1:03 PM
                Ladies, one of the best "corset patterns" I've ever come across was taught to me by Baroness Isabeau of Caerthe - but you're going to need an old t-shirt and lots of duct tape!

                Per her instructions, I put on the old t-shirt, whereupon she taped me up (tightly! But be sure you can still breathe!) with the duct tape (be sure to wear a soft bra or sports bra underneath; if you have a very large bosom, then you want something that will support you but not interfere with the profile produced by the taping) and then split it down the center back. Be sure to wrap the tape horizontally, but I guess that's obvious...

                Also very important!!! Be sure to draw an outline of the base of each breast - this is vital in determining where to put (and not to put!) your boning.

                If I remember correctly, she drew (with tailors' chalk, pen, felt-tip, whatever) an outline of the desired corset neckline and straps before cutting off the t-shirt. Then you spread it out and draw your pattern from that, after trimming away the excess t-shirt to form the neckline and straps. The pattern should have a slight, inverted "U"-shape to it...

                Sorry for shouting the next part, but I really want to emphasize it: BE SURE TO TEST THE PATTERN FIRST IN "TRASH" FABRIC!!! When you test it, use a heavy canvas, a denim, something heavy enough to allow lacing. I made several lacing-holes "tapes" with the cheap metal grommets (before I knew what I was doing with corsets) and basted them temporarily onto my practice corsets (double or triple-basted on...) to test the "laced" fit. Tweak the pattern as needed, then make your first corset.

                There are/were several sites online for the purchase of metal (medical) "shunts" ?? which many ladies use as boning. My first two had metal shunts; then I discovered that layers of canvas, sewn together (or possibly rolled and hand whip-stitched) and then cut into strips, also work well as boning. The only drawback is that one needs a central "busk", or shaft of wood (metal, too??) to keep the center-front-bottom point of the corset properly shaped. This "busk" also supports the corset, helping to prevent collapse when one sits down and (in very long court sessions!) perhaps begins to slump a bit in one's chair...

                Uhm, I tend to meander... Here's the step-by-step process, again:

                1. Get old t-shirt and duct tape
                2. Put on old t-shirt, duct tape it tightly in a horizontal motion around the body, including as much of the bosom as you can reach (up to the top of the armpits).
                3. Trace or mark the desired neckline and straps of the corset.
                4. BE SURE TO TRACE the base (and sides; the basic arc under/around) each breast - this should be an accurate indicator of areas you will NOT bone, so keep comfort (and friction sores!) in mind at this point! Be ESPECIALLY mindful of keeping the boning low enough in the sensitive area where the breast tissue goes into the armpit area; this can be a source of painful chafing otherwise. This is why I recommend PRACTICE corsets once you've gotten the pattern, and wearing them for a few hours, so they can be properly tweaked for comfortable fit!
                5. Cut the taped t-shirt down the center back; this is where the corset will be laced in future. (Can also be a center-front cut; may need a bit more tweaking for fit in this case.)
                6. Trim away the excess parts of the t-shirt so you have the body, straps, and neckline all on one piece. Traditionally, the straps are continuous with the FRONT of the corset, and are sewn onto the back area; be SURE TO MARK the point of attachment in back. Also BE SURE TO MARK THE UNDER-BREAST lines!!

                The corset should be cut out with the GRAINLINE on the center-front vertical. The warp threads have the least amount of give (vertical weave) and so the pattern should be set on the vertical, with the weft threads running horizontally. Weft threads have some give, and you will need this to be able to breathe. Also, if the corset conforms to the typical shape, there will be a slight inverted "U" shape to the corset, which will give the side-areas a bit of a "bias" cut - still more breathing room for you!!

                7. Using canvas, denim, or other heavy materials (perhaps 2 layers), make one or two "practice" corsets, wearing them for a few hours (you could use popsicle sticks, or heavy duct taping, to approximate the boning areas...??) to test comfort and fit.
                8. Tweak the practice corsets, using the redesigned pattern for your first real corset! Don't be afraid to do a little further tweaking of the pattern if needed...

                Hope this helps... Ziddina

                From: <prplfrog1@...>
                I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.
                Jenn D

              • Shere'e
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 25 1:09 PM
                  One of the best busks I have ever found is free! Go to your local
                  hardware store and ask for some 5 gallon paint sticks. Cut them down
                  to size and round the edges off with your sander. They work like a
                  dream!

                  Miranda d'Gages
                  www.webeweddings.com
                  Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
                • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 25 1:16 PM
                    Hmm. I never thought of that. I used a solid piece of oak, because I tend to slump a little during court. I was afraid that anything less strong might snap - I'm pretty active in my corsets. My oak busks are about 1/2" thick, and I cut the base of the oak in a 'point' to really maintain the corset's shape. I also made 2 lacing holes in the base of the corset (4, through corset and lining) and drilled 2 holes in the oak, so I could lace the busk into the corset and not have it pop! out at an inopportune moment. Ziddina

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 25 1:27 PM
                      The 5 gallon paint sticks are almost 1/2" thick that is why I use them
                      instead of the more common 1 gallon paint sticks. The bigger ones are
                      intended to reach into a huge (5 gallon) bucket of paint and as thick
                      as it is the stick has to be pretty sturdy to handle it.

                      I am a larger lady and pretty active as well. I have never had any
                      problems with them nor have any of the people I have ever taught/made
                      them for. One of our local fencers uses them in hers (she is the one
                      that taught me) and she fights in it.

                      Miranda d'Gages

                      On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM, <Ziddinaaitzumar@...> wrote:
                      > Hmm. I never thought of that. I used a solid piece of oak, because I tend to slump a little during court. I was afraid that anything less strong might snap - I'm pretty active in my corsets. My oak busks are about 1/2" thick, and I cut the base of the oak in a 'point' to really maintain the corset's shape. I also made 2 lacing holes in the base of the corset (4, through corset and lining) and drilled 2 holes in the oak, so I could lace the busk into the corset and not have it pop! out at an inopportune moment. Ziddina

                      > From: Shere'e <shereerobinson@...>
                      > One of the best busks I have ever found is free! Go to your local
                      > hardware store and ask for some 5 gallon paint sticks. Cut them down
                      > to size and round the edges off with your sander. They work like a
                      > dream!
                      >
                      > Miranda d'Gages
                      > www.webeweddings.com
                      > Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
                    • Jennifer Davis
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 25 7:03 PM
                        Unfortunately I'm a pretty visual person. I understand some parts of
                        the directions, but I would love a visual...
                        Also I would like to suggest heavy or doubled up hemp cording for the
                        bones. It all depends on what period corset you are gunning for:
                        earlier=lighter boning, later= heavier boning. I'm trying to remember
                        what I used in my first successful corset. I think it was thinly
                        trimmed 1 gallon paint sticks- but I really didn't know what I was
                        doing at the time.

                        Jenn D

                      • David
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 26 6:37 AM
                          For a lighter boning, my girlfriend uses zip-ties. The ones she gets
                          are the thicker 2-3 foot long ones. They come in a pack of 10 or so
                          if I'm remembering correctly and are found in the electrical sections
                          of Home Depot and Lowes. Just cut them to whatever length you need
                          and smooth/round out the ends with a Dremmel.

                          I think they work a little better than using wood as I've seen
                          suggested just because you can wash them without them warping. Just
                          be careful not to dry it in a dryer as the heat would warp the shape.

                          Hope that helps someone

                          --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Davis <prplfrog1@...>
                          wrote:

> [...]

                          > > conforms to the typical shape, there will be a slight
                          inverted "U"
                          > > shape to the corset, which will give the side-areas a bit of a
                          > > "bias" cut - still more breathing room for you!!
                          > >
                          > > 7. Using canvas, denim, or other heavy materials (perhaps 2
                          > > layers), make one or two "practice" corsets, wearing them for a
                          few
                          > > hours (you could use popsicle sticks, or heavy duct taping, to
                          > > approximate the boning areas...??) to test comfort and fit.
                          > > 8. Tweak the practice corsets, using the redesigned pattern for
                          > > your first real corset! Don't be afraid to do a little further
                          > > tweaking of the pattern if needed...
                          > >
                          > > Hope this helps... Ziddina

                          > > From: <prplfrog1@...>
                          > > I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one
                          > > made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                        • Justinos Tekton
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 26 9:15 AM
                            On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:37 +0000, David wrote:
                            > I think they work a little better than using wood as I've seen
                            > suggested just because you can wash them without them warping. Just
                            > be careful not to dry it in a dryer as the heat would warp the shape.

                            Do be aware that the plastic used in zip ties does eventually harden and
                            embrittle, and they can fracture with moderately-sharp edges (not
                            knife-like, but enough to hurt if they poke you in a tender spot!). The
                            embrittlement happens faster when the zip ties are exposed to heat or
                            sunlight, but I presume that after a few years it could also happen
                            without heat or sun exposure. It might be good to check the zip tie
                            boning every few years by gently flexing it. And I would concur with the
                            advice to avoid hot dryers for the boning, though for this reason in
                            addition to the one David expressed.

                            Kind regards,

                            Justin
                            (Electrical engineer in the modern world...uses zip ties a lot)

                            fesswise reversed sable.

                            justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                          • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 26 7:10 PM
                              Zip ties!! That's a scream!! :D Seriously, if a person wants to go "authentic" (with the caveat that we cannot exactly duplicate, we can only approximate...), the twists of fabrics and strips of fabrics are fairly authentic... Haven't found the reference yet, but have been told this by several ladies whose opinions I respect.

                              On the subject of wood, I have never seen or heard of wood being used for the boning - that's the multiple pieces of stiffener used all around the corset. I've only heard of wood being used as the busk, the center-front stiffener only - but get this, and this is also a scream - during Elizabethan times they actually used bundles of swamp grass tied together (small bundles) as corset boning! You can check this out in the book "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd", page 147, photos #232 and 233, which are also excellent visuals for the construction and finished look of a real Elizabethan corset.

                              I would guess that the swamp grass is softer, yet more resilient, than wood, which would tend to splinter if too much stress were put on it??? If one wants to approximate whalebone, one could take a number of feathers, strip the downy part so that all you have remaining is the center 'quill', then split and glue them together (think 'laminate') and use this as boning - there's someplace on the internet that used to sell this type of product for re-enactors. One would have to own a turkey farm to get that many feathers, I guess??

                              I also forgot to mention, although I think everyone probably figured this out; when being taped into the t-shirt, be sure to lift your bosom to the level that you wish it to be, when in the corset. Also, the bottom of my first corset simply followed my waistline, but one can certainly add a center-front bottom point, if one wishes. Ziddina

                              From: "David" <dave138h@...>

                              wrote:

> [...]
                              and you will need this to be able to breathe. Also, if the corset
                              > > conforms to the typical shape, there will be a slight
                              inverted "U" shape to the corset, which will give the side-areas a bit of a
                              > > "bias" cut - still more breathing room for you!!
                              > >
                              > > 7. Using canvas, denim, or other heavy materials (perhaps 2
                              > > layers), make one or two "practice" corsets, wearing them for a
                              few hours (you could use popsicle sticks, or heavy duct taping, to
                              > > approximate the boning areas...??) to test comfort and fit.
                              > > 8. Tweak the practice corsets, using the redesigned pattern for
                              > > your first real corset! Don't be afraid to do a little further
                              > > tweaking of the pattern if needed...
                              > >
                              > > Hope this helps... Ziddina
                              > > From: <prplfrog1@...>
                              > > I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one
                              > > made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                            • Shere'e
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 26 8:27 PM
                                Please do be VERY careful to use high strength zip ties and DO NOT use
                                plastic boning! I was medic on a call where a young lady of generous
                                proportions had plastic boning snap and pierced her lung. NOT a thing I
                                would want to see/deal with again!!!

                                Miranda

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 26 8:46 PM
                                  Youch, that sounds like it would hurt. I hope she was okay. Thank you everyone, actually all the ideas have been very useful..i think i am going to see what I can do with the zip ties and paint stirs..I think paint stirrs come in plastic now adays but then again I am not sure gues I will have to consult my fiancee and see what he thinks. I know that if I use zip ties or paint stirrers (if they are plastic) I can at least wash my bodice/corset even though i know better then to dry it.

                                  morgana

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 28 7:49 PM
                                    Okay, as soon as I get the instructions, I'll get them posted and or sent to you.
                                    You're very welcome.

                                    Hugs and Kisses,
                                    Kristen

> [...]

                                    who have experience with the process and take commissions. Failing
                                    that, you might try sending a "wanted" post to the S.C.A. 4 Sale Yahoo!
                                    Group <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCAforsale /> or a similar list, or
                                    contacting a corsetiere who will customize a pattern for you.
                                    (Meschantes <http://www.meschant es.com/>, for example, looks
                                    promising.) Do your research before you talk to vendors, and make sure
                                    you know exactly what you need. That way you can give them the
                                    information necessary for them to put together an accurate quote or
                                    tell you if they don't have the particular skills required to make what
                                    you want at the beginning. There are articles on the sites mentioned
                                    above that should be a big help; some actually include step-by-step
                                    instructions for making bodies, and any competent clothier should be

                                  • Traci Earhart
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 28 7:54 PM
                                      I must have missed this post...I would LOVE a copy please.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 28 9:02 PM
                                        Thank you bunches.

                                         Hugs & Kisses,
                                        Trish

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 28 9:11 PM
                                          I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted soon.

                                          Kristen

                                          I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about 8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                                          Jenn D

                                        • Otto von Schwyz
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 29 3:36 AM
                                            With all of the chatter about bodices; has anyone taken a look at this
                                            website?

                                            http://www.elizabethancostume.net/

                                            Otto

                                            --- On Wed, 9/24/08, prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                            From: prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                            <prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com>
                                            To: scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                            Cc: "Kristen Praiswater" <spellsinger28@ <mailto:spellsinger28%40yahoo.com>
                                            yahoo.com>
                                            Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:06 PM

                                            I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about
                                            8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                                            Jenn D

                                          • Justinos Tekton
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 29 5:21 AM
                                              On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 21:11 -0700, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                                              > I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted
                                              > soon.

                                              Good M'Lady,

                                              If you plan to post the instructions to this list, please be sure you
                                              have permission from the author first. There is an implied copyright on
                                              any written material even if not specifically stated by the author. We
                                              want to stay on the right side of courtesy and modern-world law. :-)

                                              Thanks!

                                              Kind regards,

                                              Justin
                                              List Moderator

                                              fesswise reversed sable.

                                              justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                                            • jennifer Meyer
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 29 5:23 AM
                                                the instructions will be great. thanks for offering it up to the group. Guinevere

                                                "Normal is a setting on a dryer"

                                              • Otto von Schwyz
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 29 8:59 AM
                                                  Thank you Justin for the reminder.

                                                  Herr Otto von Schwyz
                                                  Society Chronicler

                                                  On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 21:11 -0700, Kristen Praiswater wrote:
                                                  > I'll have the instructions and hopefully pictures to go with it posted
                                                  > soon.

                                                  Good M'Lady,

                                                  If you plan to post the instructions to this list, please be sure you
                                                  have permission from the author first. There is an implied copyright on
                                                  any written material even if not specifically stated by the author. We
                                                  want to stay on the right side of courtesy and modern-world law. :-)

                                                  Thanks!

                                                  Kind regards,

                                                  Justin
                                                  List Moderator

                                                  --
                                                  ()xxxx[]:::: ::::::::: :::::> <::::::::::: :::::::[] xxxx()

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 30 10:39 AM
                                                    Looks good! I prefer my 'personally fitted' version, but this site loks like a great resource, in general! Ziddina

                                                    From: prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com
                                                    <prplfrog1@stny. <mailto:prplfrog1%40stny.rr.com> rr.com>
                                                    To: scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                                    Cc: "Kristen Praiswater" <spellsinger28@ <mailto:spellsinger28%40yahoo.com>
                                                    yahoo.com>
                                                    Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:06 PM

                                                    I certainly would be interested in a corset pattern, as the one I made about
                                                    8 years ago doesn't fit properly.

                                                    Jenn D

                                                  • Otto von Schwyz
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 30 8:02 PM
                                                      I prefer the "personally fitted" version myself. And that line can get me
                                                      into trouble and that is for a different newsgroup. :-)

                                                      Otto

                                                      From: "Otto von Schwyz" <ottovonschwyz@
                                                      <mailto:ottovonschwyz%40bellsouth.net> bellsouth.net>
                                                      With all of the chatter about bodices; has anyone taken a look at this
                                                      website?

                                                      http://www.elizabet <http://www.elizabethancostume.net/> hancostume.net/

                                                      Otto

                                                    • Ziddinaaitzumar@comcast.net