Greetings Friends

  • Morey
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14 4:16 PM
      Hello!!!

      My name is Morey and I hail from the Barony of Donnershafen in the
      Pentwater region of the Kingdom Midrealm. I do not have a persona or
      an "name" yet but I am hoping that some will help me with this.
      My first taste of the SCA was when I lived in California and
      attended the West/Caid war a few years ago. The desire to join has
      been with me every since and now I have THE CARD!!
      I am not much of a fighter but I am interested in swordmanship.
      Also my interests are Heraldry, the bardic arts and refining my skills
      at using the sling weapon. I am willing to take part in any activity
      that would further my knowledge of the middle ages.
      If any have questions please email or post and I will respond.

      Yours in the Society

      MOREY
    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14 5:13 PM
        On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:16 +0000, Morey wrote:
        > My name is Morey and I hail from the Barony of Donnershafen in the
        > Pentwater region of the Kingdom Midrealm.

        Welcome, Morey!

        Justin
        Marche of Alderford (Canton, OH; North Oaken Region, Midrealm)

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 15 1:02 AM
          Morey wrote:
          > I do not have a persona or an "name" yet but I am hoping that some
          > will help me with this.

          I strongly suggest you put together a realistic medieval or Renaissance
          name, right from the start. There's no disadvantage to doing so, and
          there are two big advantages: (1) you'll have a name that belongs in
          the Middle Ages or Renaissance instead of a made-for-TV mini-series
          with bad costumes and sloppy dialog, and (2) you won't have to change
          your name if you later decide to register it with the College of Arms.

          Registration has several benefits:

          --It reserves your name for you alone. No two S.C.A. names can be the
          same. (And "the same" is more complicated than you might think.
          "Elizabeth Shaw" and "Bess Shaw" are considered the same, because
          "Bess" is short for "Elizabeth", for example.) Of course, that also
          means that if somebody else registers the name you love before you get
          around to it, you're no longer entitled to use it. They have become
          the official "real" whomever.

          --It makes it possible for you to register armory (i.e., a heraldic
          device and/or up to three badges for yourself or a household or other
          group). No two registered pieces of armory can be too similar, either
          (and what constitutes "too similar" is w-a-y more complicated than you
          probably think), so if you don't register your device you can never be
          sure somebody else won't register it and become its rightful owner.
          And, yes, you might be called into court and ordered to stop carrying a
          shield, wearing a surcoat, or using other items that have somebody
          else's device on them, even if you've been doing so since before it was
          registered. Somebody else's property is somebody else's property.

          --In some kingdoms, you have to have a registered name and registered
          armory to get an official award scroll. If someone who doesn't have
          those elements is awarded arms, or in some cases given other honors,
          they have to make due with a promissory note.

          --The registration process puts your proposed name up for review before
          the best onomasticians and book heralds active in the S.C.A. They will
          let you know if you've got something that sounds real, something nobody
          in the Middle Ages or Renaissance would recognize as a name, or
          something that could sound real with a few changes. They'll help you
          avoid potentially embarrassing mistakes like calling yourself "son of"
          when your persona is female or using the word for "muck" as your first
          name *before* everybody you know has memorized it. They'll also make
          it possible for you to have a really, really, realistic medieval or
          Renaissance name without being an onomastician or herald yourself, so
          no matter how interested in history you later get you'll always have an
          S.C.A. name of which you can be proud and that you'll remain
          comfortable using.

          And, luckily, putting together an authentic name can be a quick and
          painless process.

          Start by reading "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
          <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/dietmar/hints.html>. It will help you
          avoid the mistakes people commonly make when picking a name for use in
          the S.C.A.

          Move on to other articles in the Medieval Names Archive
          <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/> relevant to the languages and/or
          cultures that interest you. If you see one related to a language
          you're considering with a title like "Getting Started with Names in
          [Whatever]", read it. It's there for a reason.

          Finally, pick a given name and a byname from the same region and
          general period and put them together. If you can't find anything you
          like in the Medieval Names Archive, your branch herald or a consulting
          herald in your kingdom should be able to help you look for printed
          resources that offer additional options.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 15 6:52 AM
            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Coblaith Mhuimhneach
            <Coblaith@...> wrote:

            > Morey wrote:
            > > I do not have a persona or an "name" yet but I am hoping that some
            > > will help me with this.

            There are many resources you can look up if you want to come up with a
            name. But, I strongly recommend that you don't worry about
            registering it or a device for at least a year. (please read the
            following link for why.
            http://ianthegreen01.googlepages.com/newcomeradviceonthesca )

            Here is one of the best available on the internet. The Academy of
            Saint Gabriel. Here is their web link. All these folks do is help
            people come up with well researched documentable names.

            http://www.s-gabriel.org/

            As a former group chatelain (newcomers greeter and helper) I strongly
            recommend you simply try on a name for a while and see if you continue
            to like it. In my experience, most people go through more than one
            name when they join the SCA. Some very few only ever have one. So
            take your time and figure out which you like.

            As for picking a name...

            Well, try and think of a time period you like and a place you like.
            Then do some quick research where those two points intersect. You may
            find that you LOVE this time and place and you may find that you
            don't. Poke around history and geography for a bit and enjoy. After
            all the SCA covers all the time pre-17th century and the whole world,
            so there is a lot of time and place to cover.

            Once you've done some quick research and maybe have two or three
            places and/or times do a little deeper research and pick one for now.
            I say for now because it is not uncommon for some folks to have more
            than one time and place they like and have a persona in. My
            apprentice sister has two in fact. But for now as a beginner try out
            one for now.

            Once you have the one you're gonna work with for now, try out a name
            or two. You may find the time period isn't really what you want to be
            no matter how cool the time period is for you. You may find you like
            other stuff too.

            Here's the secret though. You're persona does NOT tie you down to
            activities of that time and place only. Your persona is nothing more
            than an vehicle to help you have fun in the sca. And like most
            vehicles, it goes more or less equally well on all roads. So don't
            limit yourself because of your persona.

            I'm a circa 1250 Scott. I fence which couldn't have happened until
            post 1550, 300 year later. I also do different kinds of calligraphy
            that run from 300 A.D right to the end of the SCA time period of 1600.

            So enjoy your stay in the SCA and have fun making up a persona and a
            name, but its okay for you to change things around a bit, heck it is
            expected, in your first year or so until you settle down to something
            you're really done for a while.

            Ian the Green
          • Magnus Rauðurhamar
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15 4:32 PM
              A Viking has to be about the easiest and most fun out there....Pirates are fun too if they let you have a cannon.    :D

              Magnus Raudurhamar

              > > I do not have a persona or an "name" yet but I am hoping
              that some
              > > will help me with this.

              There are many resources you can look up if you want to come up with a
              name. But, I strongly recommend that you don't worry about
              registering it or a device for at least a year. (please read the
              following link for why.
              http://ianthegreen01.googlepages.com/newcomeradviceonthesca )

              Here is one of the best available on the internet. The Academy of
              Saint Gabriel. Here is their web link. All these folks do is help
              people come up with well researched documentable names.

              http://www.s-gabriel.org/

              As a former group chatelain (newcomers greeter and helper) I strongly
              recommend you simply try on a name for a while and see if you continue
              to like it. In my experience, most people go through more than one
              name when they join the SCA. Some very few only ever have one. So
              take your time and figure out which you like.

              As for picking a name...

              Well, try and think of a time period you like and a place you like.
              Then do some quick research where those two points intersect. You may
              find that you LOVE this time and place and you may find that you
              don't. Poke around history and geography for a bit and enjoy. After
              all the SCA covers all the time pre-17th century and the whole world,
              so there is a lot of time and place to cover.

              Once you've done some quick research and maybe have two or three
              places and/or times do a little deeper research and pick one for now.
              I say for now because it is not uncommon for some folks to have more
              than one time and place they like and have a persona in. My
              apprentice sister has two in fact. But for now as a beginner try out
              one for now.

              Once you have the one you're gonna work with for now, try out a name
              or two. You may find the time period isn't really what you want to be
              no matter how cool the time period is for you. You may find you like
              other stuff too.

              Here's the secret though. You're persona does NOT tie you down to
              activities of that time and place only. Your persona is nothing more
              than an vehicle to help you have fun in the sca. And like most
              vehicles, it goes more or less equally well on all roads. So don't
              limit yourself because of your persona.

              I'm a circa 1250 Scott. I fence which couldn't have happened until
              post 1550, 300 year later. I also do different kinds of calligraphy
              that run from 300 A.D right to the end of the SCA time period of 1600.

              So enjoy your stay in the SCA and have fun making up a persona and a
              name, but its okay for you to change things around a bit, heck it is
              expected, in your first year or so until you settle down to something
              you're really done for a while.

              Ian the Green

            • Jennifer Davis
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 15 7:08 PM
                My name is Jennifer (Jenn) and I live right smack dab in the center of
                NY state. I am not really geologically close to my nearest SCA group,
                but hopefully will get to go to some event or meeting sometime in the
                near future.
                I fall into the area of the Shire of Coppertree in the Kingdom of
                AEthelmearc. Theoretically I am just as close travel-wise to the
                Barony of the Concordia of the Snows (Kingdom of the East). Confused
                yet?
                A little about me:
                I've always been a history buff, especially ancient history. I'm a
                certified elementary and art teacher and as such am always trying new
                things. I love to sculpt, paint, craft, sew, cook, work with silver
                for jewelry and so many more things. I've made chain mail and sewn a
                few renaissance style gowns.
                I have been interested in joining the SCA for a few years now, but
                with going to colleges and working full-time- I hadn't had the time.
                Now, I'm hoping to get involved so that this can be something my 12
                year old son and I can do together. He (of course) has wanted to "go
                to school" to become a knight since the first time I took him to a
                faire. So I guess the fighting interests him. I wouldn't mind
                getting into the archery (can women do that? Stupid Question?).

                I just wish that I didn't live in such a rural place... It's good to
                find an online place where we can chat about SCA.
                Jenn

              • saemunder38
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 16 3:38 AM
                  Howdy Jenn

                  Welcome to the SCA. Luckly you can easily determine your own level
                  of involvement. We have people that show up regularly to meetings,
                  some that never do, some that you find at activites, others you
                  dont.. Some just seem to show up for events. =)

                  Can woman get into archery? Absolutely. Here in Northern Ansteorra
                  (central oklahoma and north) we have some terrific women archers. I
                  would say at our practices there is maybe a 40% women ratio of
                  archers.

                  I imagine you and your son will have a blast (I have a 12 and 10 year
                  old) together.

                  Sæmundr inn skærr
                  Skorragarðr
                  Ansteorra

                  --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Davis <prplfrog1@...>
                  wrote:

                  > My name is Jennifer (Jenn) and I live right smack dab in the center
                  of
                  > NY state. I am not really geologically close to my nearest SCA
                  group,
                  > but hopefully will get to go to some event or meeting sometime in
                  the
                  > near future.
                  > I fall into the area of the Shire of Coppertree in the Kingdom of
                  > AEthelmearc. Theoretically I am just as close travel-wise to the
                  > Barony of the Concordia of the Snows (Kingdom of the East).
                  Confused
                  > yet?
                  > A little about me:
                  > I've always been a history buff, especially ancient history. I'm a
                  > certified elementary and art teacher and as such am always trying
                  new
                  > things. I love to sculpt, paint, craft, sew, cook, work with
                  silver
                  > for jewelry and so many more things. I've made chain mail and sewn
                  > few renaissance style gowns.
                  > I have been interested in joining the SCA for a few years now, but
                  > with going to colleges and working full-time- I hadn't had the
                  time.
                  > Now, I'm hoping to get involved so that this can be something my
                  12
                  > year old son and I can do together. He (of course) has wanted
                  to "go
                  > to school" to become a knight since the first time I took him to a
                  > faire. So I guess the fighting interests him. I wouldn't mind
                  > getting into the archery (can women do that? Stupid Question?).
                  >
                  > I just wish that I didn't live in such a rural place... It's good
                  > find an online place where we can chat about SCA.
                  > Jenn

                • Otto von Schwyz
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 16 3:51 AM
                    Welcome Jenn,

                    Not confused. I started the bulk of the SCA career in a little town in the
                    middle of nowhere in the mountains of NC. Closest group was 2-3 hours away
                    and there was about 3-4 of us that wanted to be in the SCA, so we started
                    our own group.

                    As for your archery question, some of the best archers I know are women, so
                    yes women can do that. In fact there isn't anything that either sex can or
                    can not do in the SCA. And there is no such thing as a stupid question.

                    Regards,

                    Otto

[...]

                  • Kristen Praiswater
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 17 11:25 AM
                      Welcome Jenn, it's a pleasure to meet you.  Woman can get into archery, my son was just in a tourney and there were several women there.  Some of them were better shots than the men ha ha.  Sorry guys, I had to say it, but it's all in fun.  I'm Kristen Praiswater and I live down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast or the Barony of Seleone.  I'm pretty new to the SCA myself, and I also think it's nice to have a group that we can chat in.  I learned how to make vinegar at one of our Arts and Sciences class last week, it was fun.  I started my vinegar today, and I will keep everyone posted as to my progress.  Some of it is going to become Christmas presents.

                      Kristen

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 17 1:13 PM
                        Not only are many of our archers of the female gender...they kick
                        bootay!

                        Lovedaia in Calontir
                      • Wolfy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 17 1:20 PM
                          Not to mention some of the siege engineers are female and kick serious behind!
                          Gotta love those tech girls that cover my back and end up killing more
                          people then I do. =)

                          ~Wolfy

                          The heart has reasons which reason does not know. (Blaise Pascal)
                          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
                          matter and those who matter don't mind.