Viking Wedge Tent

  • oriffraffo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
      I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with
      http://www.midwesttent.com or
      http://www.pantherprimitives.com I am looking into purchasing a Large
      Viking Wedge tent and from what I have seen the Panther tents seem to
      be of better quality but at a substantially higher price.
      If anyone has anything negative or positive to say I would appreciate
      any input you have before I commit to purchasing a tent.
      If anyone knows of a tent maker other than these I would also
      appreciate that info.
      Thank You

      Magnus Rauðurhamar
    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
        On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 21:32 +0000, oriffraffo wrote:
        > I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with
        > http://www.midwesttent.com or
        > http://www.pantherprimitives.com I am looking into purchasing a Large
        > Viking Wedge tent and from what I have seen the Panther tents seem to
        > be of better quality but at a substantially higher price.
        > If anyone has anything negative or positive to say I would appreciate
        > any input you have before I commit to purchasing a tent.
        > If anyone knows of a tent maker other than these I would also
        > appreciate that info.
        > Thank You

        My lady and I, most of our household, and many of our shiremates, have
        bought tents from Panther Primitives for years. They are of excellent
        quality, last many years with proper care, and are backed by a company
        that is made up of very nice people. A couple of years ago, we needed
        repairs to two of our Panther structures (due to mechanical damage in
        transit...my fault, not theirs). We drove to the Panther headquarters in
        West Virginia, to save shipping costs. They fixed both our tents, while
        we waited, and added some additional grommet points to the dining fly
        because I wanted to be able to set it up with eight poles for bad
        weather resistance. Total charge was less than $100.

        We've had our Panther 12x18 Marquis up in winds up to 60 mph, and it's
        never leaked. It's been to Pennsic with us for about ten years now, and
        we've never had to have it re-waterproofed.

        Two suggestions:

        1. If you buy a Marquis or Regency tent, opt for the 7 foot side poles.
        It's a little more money, but easier to walk in and out, and more
        room to store things inside by hanging them from poles. We have
        shelves and garb racks that attach to our poles -- wonderful for
        long events like Pennsic.

        2. Buy the 13 ounce Sunforger canvas if you want maximum durability.

        None of the above is meant to disparage any other tent maker -- I have
        heard good things about Tentmasters, for example, and have nothing
        against them. Panther is the one I know best, and therefore I can vouch
        for their quality and service. I'll leave it to others to comment on the
        tent makers with whom I've not done business. :-)

        P.S. -- I have no commercial relationship with Panther, other than being
        a satisfied customer.

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
          Magnus Rauðurhamar wrote:
          > I am looking into purchasing a Large Viking Wedge tent. . .If anyone
          > has anything negative or positive to say I would appreciate any input
          > you have. . .If anyone knows of a tent maker other than these I would
          > also appreciate that info.

          You might want to inquire of the Known World Medieval Encampment Guild
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MedievalEncampments/>. There are
          frequent discussions on their mailing list of the relative merits of
          various manufacturers, and many, many people with hands-on experience
          with various types of tent are members. You should be able to get some
          "I've tried both," advice, and maybe some pointers to other
          manufacturers as well.

          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
          Kingdom of Ansteorra
          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        • Magnus Rauðurhamar
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
            Thanks Justin
            I appreciate the info. I too think Panther may be better quality but at almost 2x the cost for the Panther compared to the other that is my dilemma.   :(
            And with the Midwest tents I have to wait until their shipment of Large Viking tents arrive.
            Made in India or China would be my guess.

            Magnus Raudurhamar

          • Magnus Rauðurhamar
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2008
              Yes, I have been talking with a few folks from the Medieval Encampments group. I just thought I would try and tap into as much knowledge as I can before making my purchase.
              I still have to make my tent frame but have not decided on what kind of design to put on top of the uprights.

              Magnus Raudurhamar