Re: [SCA Newcomers] To register or not to register

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
      > > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
      > > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
      > > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
      > > register either.

      Ian

      > I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
      > There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
      > kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
      > fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
      > where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
      > registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
      > requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.
      >
      > -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)

      I went and reviewed my information and got myself updated. In the
      West Kingdom, they simply would not give out armigerous awards if you
      didn't have have your name and arms registered. Recent changes in how
      the college of scribes is done now allow you to create a "use name"
      even if the award is armigerous, according to the college of scribes
      website. I was under the impression that An Tir, from a former
      Kingdom Chatelaine and protocol herald of that kingdom, that they also
      would not give an award without the person being registered. I may
      have been misinformed or things may have changed since then as well.

      Ian
    • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
        I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name I
        absolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.

        YIS,

        Giertrud Gyldenstierne
        RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

      • PATRICIA BENTLEY
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
          ifit is a name that you truely like and are set on then by all means because if it is not registered than that leaves the door open to someone else who might also like that name and then they will register it and you will be out of luck

          Gisele Starkey

          To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: giertrud@...: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:32:37 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] To register or not to register

          I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name Iabsolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.YIS,Giertrud GyldenstierneRUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
            People already know me by the name as well.