Re: [SCA Newcomers] To register or not to register

  • SidheMaiden
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
      So very true, Aryanhwy

      My matriarch's hubby received his AoA at Pennsic. Mind you, he's never
      been very into the 'game', so he has neither registered a name OR a
      device, simply going by his own name at events. He and I are in the
      process of researching both for him as we speak.

      Éva

      Sara L Uckelman wrote:

      > Quoth "David Roland":
      > > DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are more or
      > > less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you something
      > > they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-register
      > > the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you that. The
      >
      > Just a couple of tuppence from a different view point.
      >
      > First, you are by no means stuck with your name once its registered.
      > It's just as easy to change your registered name as it is to
      > register your first name.
      >
      > Second, if you change your name, you're going to have people who
      > forget and continue to call you by your old name, regardless of
      > whether your old name is registered or not. So, while I do in
      > principle totally agree with advice to not rush in to name
      > registration, and to avail yourself of the wide variety of choices
      > that are out there (there are SO many names in the Medieval Names
      > Archive, http://www.s-gabriel.org/names,
      > <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names,> that NO ONE in the society
      > uses!), you shouldn't not register your name just because you
      > think you're stuck with it once you have. There's a really good
      > story about name change (whether your previous name was registered
      > or not) at "The Tale of Tangwystyl, or It's Your Name and You Can
      > Change If You Want To"
      > (http://heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html
      > <http://heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html>).
      >
      > > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
      > > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
      > > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
      > > register either.
      >
      > I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
      > There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
      > kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
      > fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
      > where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
      > registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
      > requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.
      >
      > -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)
      >
      > --
      > vita sine literis mors est
      > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/ <http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/>

    • Kristen Praiswater
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
        Very good advice, thank you.

        Caitlin inghean ui Cheallaigh
        Barony of Seleone

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
          Also a good point, thank you too.

          Archive, http://www.s- gabriel.org/ names, that NO ONE in the society

          uses!), you shouldn't not register your name just because you

          think you're stuck with it once you have. There's a really good

          story about name change (whether your previous name was registered

          or not) at "The Tale of Tangwystyl, or It's Your Name and You Can

          Change If You Want To"

          (http://heatherrosej ones.com/ simplearticles/ taleoftangwystyl .html).

          > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There

          > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device

          > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to

          > register either.

          I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.

          There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some

          kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to

          fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms

          where you cannot get an official award scroll without a

          registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that

          requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.

          -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)

          --

          vita sine literis mors est

          http://www.ellipsis .cx/~liana/

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
            > > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
            > > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
            > > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
            > > register either.

            Ian

            > I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
            > There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
            > kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
            > fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
            > where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
            > registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
            > requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.
            >
            > -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)

            I went and reviewed my information and got myself updated. In the
            West Kingdom, they simply would not give out armigerous awards if you
            didn't have have your name and arms registered. Recent changes in how
            the college of scribes is done now allow you to create a "use name"
            even if the award is armigerous, according to the college of scribes
            website. I was under the impression that An Tir, from a former
            Kingdom Chatelaine and protocol herald of that kingdom, that they also
            would not give an award without the person being registered. I may
            have been misinformed or things may have changed since then as well.

            Ian
          • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
              I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name I
              absolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.

              YIS,

              Giertrud Gyldenstierne
              RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

            • PATRICIA BENTLEY
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                ifit is a name that you truely like and are set on then by all means because if it is not registered than that leaves the door open to someone else who might also like that name and then they will register it and you will be out of luck

                Gisele Starkey

                To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: giertrud@...: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:32:37 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] To register or not to register

                I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name Iabsolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.YIS,Giertrud GyldenstierneRUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                  People already know me by the name as well.