To register or not to register

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
      AKA, the Don't Speech. As a Chatelain, I listened to newcomers in my
      Shire and from other nearby groups. Certain themes always seemed to
      be reoccuring, which is normal as people who are getting started seem
      to need certain kinds of help. I ended up having something my
      newcomers started to term as, "The Don't Speech." What was
      interesting to me, was to hear them give it to other newcomers.

      This is general advice. There are always exceptions and if this
      general advice doesn't apply to you, that is fine, don't take it. I
      think however, parts of it will be useful to the average newcomer. And
      remember its just advice, it isn't a set of rules you have to follow.
      So here it is. The Don't Speech. If you wish to link to "The Don't
      Speech" online here is the link:

      http://ianthegreen01.googlepages.com/newcomeradviceonthesca

      The Don't Speech

      Copyright 2007 & 2008. All rights reserved. Permission granted for
      use in all unofficial SCA publications with proper attribution given
      to this source and author.

      This advice has been given to many a newcomer. I am thankful to the
      variety of people who gave me the pieces and parts that I have
      compiled and now give to you.

      So, you're new to the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), and you
      want to do it all! Well, come check it out, find out what you like and
      explore. You might find something you like that you never thought you
      would. But first, a word of advice.

      In your first year DON'T.

      That's right DON'T.

      DON'T register a name.

      DON'T register a device.

      DON'T join a household, guild etc.

      DON'T attach yourself to someone as in an apprenticeship or squiring
      or other such thing.

      DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are more or
      less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you something
      they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-register
      the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you that. The
      truth is that you will likely find a name or persona that you think is
      cooler later on. Chill out try a few on and see what sticks. Most
      newcomers in my experience change names a few times before they settle
      on one.

      DON'T register a device. Same reason as not registering your name
      really. A device is a symbol that will come to be recognized as you.
      People will see it and think of you. People will see you not with it
      and wonder what is wrong.

      DON'T join a household, guild etc. Hang out with them, get the lay of
      the land and the internal politics, have fun, get to know people. If
      they're cool now, great! But really if they're cool now, then they'll
      be cool in a year just the same. You may find that you like hanging
      out with them but don't really wanna join up. That's okay. Then again
      you may choose to join up after that year and you'll be a
      better member for it!

      DON'T attach yourself. Those kinds of things in the SCA are viewed as
      permanent and forever. Yes, you can get out of them but it is a BIG
      deal when that happens and people will talk for years about it. I
      keep hearing about one split that happened over 15, yes that's
      fifteen, years ago. Take your time get to know what you really want to
      do and what the person is really like and what their reputation is.
      Once you DO get attached to a person you WILL ALWAYS be judged in that
      light and will ALWAYS be associated that way. So get to know the
      person well before you get attached as a squire or apprentice or other
      such thing.

      There are plenty of stories in the SCA of people having registered
      names or devices and wishing they hadn't and being "stuck" with it.
      And even more stories of having joined a household or guild and
      wishing they had spent more time getting to know people and things
      before they had.

      Take your time, explore things and research them to your hearts content.

      And if anyone gives you any guff over not registering your name or
      device, or joining up with a household or guild politely tell them to
      lay off.

      I am an apprentice and my Laurel has NEVER registered her name or a
      device. NEVER. You simply are NOT required to do it. Anyone who says
      otherwise is flat wrong. The truth is that you should wait around to
      figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
      are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
      you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
      register either. By the way, on average, it takes a year or two to
      get your first award, but not always.

      Just remember you are here to have fun and learn and the SCA is a
      great place to do that. But some things are forever or close to it in
      the SCA. Take your time and don't make the mistake of choosing some
      things too early.

      Ian the Green
    • Sara L Uckelman
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
        Quoth "David Roland":
        > DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are more or
        > less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you something
        > they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-register
        > the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you that. The

        Just a couple of tuppence from a different view point.

        First, you are by no means stuck with your name once its registered.
        It's just as easy to change your registered name as it is to
        register your first name.

        Second, if you change your name, you're going to have people who
        forget and continue to call you by your old name, regardless of
        whether your old name is registered or not. So, while I do in
        principle totally agree with advice to not rush in to name
        registration, and to avail yourself of the wide variety of choices
        that are out there (there are SO many names in the Medieval Names
        Archive, http://www.s-gabriel.org/names, that NO ONE in the society
        uses!), you shouldn't not register your name just because you
        think you're stuck with it once you have. There's a really good
        story about name change (whether your previous name was registered
        or not) at "The Tale of Tangwystyl, or It's Your Name and You Can
        Change If You Want To"
        (http://heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html).

        > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
        > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
        > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
        > register either.

        I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
        There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
        kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
        fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
        where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
        registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
        requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.

        -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)

        --
        vita sine literis mors est
        http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
          So very true, Aryanhwy

          My matriarch's hubby received his AoA at Pennsic. Mind you, he's never
          been very into the 'game', so he has neither registered a name OR a
          device, simply going by his own name at events. He and I are in the
          process of researching both for him as we speak.

          Éva

          Sara L Uckelman wrote:

          > Quoth "David Roland":
          > > DON'T register your name. Once you have registered it you are more or
          > > less stuck with it. Once people are used to calling you something
          > > they're gonna keep on calling you that name, yes you can un-register
          > > the name but that doesn't mean people will stop calling you that. The
          >
          > Just a couple of tuppence from a different view point.
          >
          > First, you are by no means stuck with your name once its registered.
          > It's just as easy to change your registered name as it is to
          > register your first name.
          >
          > Second, if you change your name, you're going to have people who
          > forget and continue to call you by your old name, regardless of
          > whether your old name is registered or not. So, while I do in
          > principle totally agree with advice to not rush in to name
          > registration, and to avail yourself of the wide variety of choices
          > that are out there (there are SO many names in the Medieval Names
          > Archive, http://www.s-gabriel.org/names,
          > <http://www.s-gabriel.org/names,> that NO ONE in the society
          > uses!), you shouldn't not register your name just because you
          > think you're stuck with it once you have. There's a really good
          > story about name change (whether your previous name was registered
          > or not) at "The Tale of Tangwystyl, or It's Your Name and You Can
          > Change If You Want To"
          > (http://heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html
          > <http://heatherrosejones.com/simplearticles/taleoftangwystyl.html>).
          >
          > > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
          > > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
          > > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
          > > register either.
          >
          > I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
          > There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
          > kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
          > fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
          > where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
          > registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
          > requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.
          >
          > -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)
          >
          > --
          > vita sine literis mors est
          > http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/ <http://www.ellipsis.cx/%7Eliana/>

        • Kristen Praiswater
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
            Very good advice, thank you.

            Caitlin inghean ui Cheallaigh
            Barony of Seleone

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
              Also a good point, thank you too.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2008
                > > figure out what you want to register for certain before you do. There
                > > are Kingdoms that if you do not have a registered name and/or device
                > > you may not be eligible for awards but you are still not required to
                > > register either.

                Ian

                > I do not believe there is *any* kingdom where this is the case.
                > There are some kingdoms where you must have a name (and some
                > kingdoms also a device) registered or in process if you want to
                > fight in or be fought for in Crown Tournament, and some kingdoms
                > where you cannot get an official award scroll without a
                > registered name and/or device, but I know of no kingdom that
                > requires a registered name or device to *receive* an award.
                >
                > -Aryanhwy (aka Aeronwy, Creirwy, Euroni, Arianwy....)

                I went and reviewed my information and got myself updated. In the
                West Kingdom, they simply would not give out armigerous awards if you
                didn't have have your name and arms registered. Recent changes in how
                the college of scribes is done now allow you to create a "use name"
                even if the award is armigerous, according to the college of scribes
                website. I was under the impression that An Tir, from a former
                Kingdom Chatelaine and protocol herald of that kingdom, that they also
                would not give an award without the person being registered. I may
                have been misinformed or things may have changed since then as well.

                Ian
              • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2008
                  I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name I
                  absolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.

                  YIS,

                  Giertrud Gyldenstierne
                  RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

                • PATRICIA BENTLEY
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                    ifit is a name that you truely like and are set on then by all means because if it is not registered than that leaves the door open to someone else who might also like that name and then they will register it and you will be out of luck

                    Gisele Starkey

                    To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: giertrud@...: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:32:37 -0500Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] To register or not to register

                    I've been in less than a year, and have a bunch of research on a name Iabsolutely adore, and have gotten quite used to.YIS,Giertrud GyldenstierneRUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                      People already know me by the name as well.