Northern IL

  • anne_shisler78
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 12, 2008
      Hello All,

      I was hoping to talk to someone from the greater northern IL area that
      is also new to the SCA. So.. if there is anyone out there, please let
      me know. I promise I wont bite!
    • Justinos Tekton
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2008
        On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 20:02 +0000, anne_shisler78 wrote:
        > I was hoping to talk to someone from the greater northern IL area that
        > is also new to the SCA. So.. if there is anyone out there, please let
        > me know. I promise I wont bite!

        Welcome to the Middle Kingdom, M'Lady!

        (I'm neither new nor from Illinois, so I can't help with your specific
        inquiry...but since I'm in your kingdom I thought I'd say hello!)

        fesswise reversed sable.

        justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 12, 2008
          Greetings! And welcome to the proto-incipeint Barony of Ayreton!

          My name is Tabitha Pennywarden, and I am currently in the Shire of
          Ravenslake, in the Midlands, in the Middle Kingdom.
          That's Waukegan, north of Chicago in IL.
          I've been in the SCA for about 4 years, but in some ways I still feel like a
          newbie - there's so much I don't know.

          I would be happy to help you find answers to questions; feel free to contact
          me off or on list if you like.

          Where are you, and what should we call you?
          Is there something specific we can help you with?

          Tabitha

          I was hoping to talk to someone from the greater northern IL area that
          is also new to the SCA. So.. if there is anyone out there, please let
          me know. I promise I wont bite!

        • Michael Peterson
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 13, 2008
            Greetings Milady!
                 Where in Northern Illinois are you?

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
              Hello Fellow SCA Members.

              I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.
            • cailin.sca@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                Go play where you have fun. If you join your number will be counted among the local group, but you are by no means required to talk to them.
                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                  You can play where ever you want. When you actually join you'll be
                  counted amongst your local group for census, but you certainly don't
                  have to play there. My GF lives in the Shire of Trinovantia Nova but
                  plays in the Barony of Ramshaven and rarely joins in on Shire meetings
                  or practices, primarily because Ramshaven is just where she is more
                  comfortable. I myself (also of the Shire) often go to Ramshaven
                  practices. It doesn't really matter where you play just that you enjoy
                  the game.

                  I have heard some say that you should only attend meetings in the area
                  you live, but have yet to see any SCA rules on this.

                  C� Allaidh
                  Heavy Fighter, Sometimes Fencer, Occasional Archer, MBCIT
                  Mazer, working on being a Calligrapher, Maker of Torcs and Circlets
                  Member of the Bookbinders Guild of Ealdormere
                  Crewmember of the Good Ship Crimson Star
                  From The Shire of Trinovantia Nova, in the great land of Ealdormere
                  mka Jeff Johnston

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                    You can play with whomever you wish to play with.

                    Hillary
                    Middle Kingdom Chatelaine

                    I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside.
                    was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which
                    ou live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and
                    ot nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i
                    ont want to join the SCA.

                  • Anj
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                      Greets!

                      I am by no means an experienced member of the SCA, but can answer this based upon my own experiences, hopefully.

                      I am heavily involved within my own local group but I do participate with other groups as well as the neighboring Kingdom and a few groups there. I am on each of the groups' emails lists for communication purposes and have received local awards/thank you's within the neighboring groups as well as my own home group.

                      When it comes down to belonging to the group where you reside, then you are pretty much a member via residence. That does not mean that you must play with said group. I also know of many others who live elsewhere but come to play with our local group. I also know that you can become an 'honorary member' of another group through your participation in said groups.

                      I hope this helps. And I pray it did not confuse anyone who reads this as well. (I tend to confuse people easily at times. LOL) If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I am more than happy to explain further.

                      Wishing you all a great day/night!
                      YIS,
                      -Dawn

                      I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

                    • Robert Bohler
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                        Every organization has a few unsavory people. I think it would be unfair to judge the SCA as a whole, based upon those few individuals. I would definitly recommend trying another group before making a decision not to join...

                        Just my 2 cents...

                        Robert Bohler
                        "Ulrich of Greyfells"
                        I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

                      • Justinos Tekton called Justin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                          On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 18:30 +0000, anne_shisler78 wrote:
                          > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where
                          > you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join
                          > the grop where which you live.

                          You don't officially join a group; SCA membership is at the corporate
                          level, at least for the U.S. So your SCA membership is valid at any
                          kingdom and any local group.

                          There are certain situations, such as when the populace is polled by the
                          kingdom or by corporate to approve things like land boundary changes,
                          when your group-of-residence matters as to where you are eligible to
                          vote. Usually, even that situation has some flexibility if you can
                          attest that you "live over here but play over there."

                          Attendance at SCA activities in any group is open to any person who
                          complies with SCA and kingdom policy. That rule is in the Governing
                          Documents at the corporate level, in fact.

                          > But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and
                          > not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the
                          > sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

                          I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad experience. Different local groups,
                          being made up of different individuals, can have differing personalities
                          and group dynamics.

                          You are certainly welcome to play with any local group within whatever
                          driving distance you find reasonable. In fact, around here it is not
                          uncommon for someone to play with more than one group, because people go
                          where the activities are that you like to do. Our shire has a lot of A&S
                          and service-junkie types, but as yet only a few fighters and dancers.
                          But we have a lot of beekeepers. So someone wanting to dance might play
                          in a neighboring shire where they dance frequently, but might play with
                          us for the [unofficial] beekeeping guild.

                          Another thing to consider is whether you've met a full cross-section of
                          the populace of your local group. Maybe the people with whom you aren't
                          getting along are just a minority. It happens.

                          There are also cases in the SCA where people who are basically decent
                          folk simply have poor social graces around newcomers. Believe it or not,
                          I've encountered situations in which I felt unwelcome even though I was
                          an SCA veteran...and the reason was that the local group was full of
                          people who just didn't know how to welcome outsiders. They were nice
                          people, but it never occurred to them to introduce themselves or go out
                          of their way to welcome newcomers, because they were too comfortable
                          within their own circle of acquaintances. They didn't mean to be
                          unwelcoming; they just didn't know any better and didn't realize they
                          were giving that impression.

                          I won't presume to second-guess you on your experiences with the group.
                          As someone else said, within *any* large organization there are going to
                          be some bad apples. I find that the SCA is about 98% nice people and 2%
                          jerks -- but with 30,000 members, that translates to 600 jerks! Maybe
                          you have encountered a few of them. In that case, by all means find a
                          nicer circle of friends and avoid the bad apples. My intent here is not
                          to contradict you, but only to suggest that it may be more complex than
                          just people being intentionally rude. Perhaps they are rude without
                          intending to be, out of social ineptness.

                          But, returning to your original question, you are welcome to play in any
                          local group to which you are willing to commute.

                          Kind regards,

                          fesswise reversed sable.

                          justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
                        • D'vorah bint al-Attar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 23, 2010
                            On 23 Feb 2010, at 12:30 PM, anne_shisler78 wrote:

                            > Hello Fellow SCA Members.
                            >
                            > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

                            As it's been told to me, your geography places you in Kingdom A, Barony B, Shire C. Your heart may place you in Kingdom X, Barony Y, Shire Z. You have the right to play anywhere that you enjoy, though for practical reasons, it's wise to play with a group that you can join physically at least a few times a year -- no use calling yourself a member of Lochac (Australia and New Zealand) if you live in Drachenwald (Europe)!

                            All that said, though, I hope it's not northern Illinois that you find rude. Admittedly I'm new and I don't know very many people in this area, but the people that I have met (I'm in northern Illinois, Chicago to be exact) were uniformly polite, welcoming, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable and/or trying to become more so. I hope that you and I haven't met, so that I wouldn't be one of the ones contributing to your current impression of us. I also hope that you get a chance to meet more people so that whoever the rude ones are can be shown to be in the minority.
                            D'vorah bint al-Attar
                            Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                            dvorah@...
                            Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
                          • Dave Roland
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 24, 2010
                              I used to be a Chatelain in the Northern, IL area. I'm now back in the Middle Kingdom in South Central Indiana.

                              First of all as you have already been told, you are more than welcome to play in the SCA where ever you would like. If you wish you may contact me off list and I will be happy to make contacts for you in the other groups in Northern Illinois.

                              Secondly, having been in the SCA off and on for some many years it has been my experience that most groups are good groups but not all groups are proactive about welcoming newcomers and instead some choose to let the newcomer "warm-up" to them. This of course in my opinion is the wrong way to go about it. And then of course there can just be personality conflicts.

                              As I said, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to make contacts for you in the Northern Illinois area.

                              Lord Ian the Green

                              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "anne_shisler78" <anne_shisler78@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Fellow SCA Members.
                              >
                              > I would like to know if it is ok .. to join a group outside of where you reside. I was told last year that it was "correct" for you to join the grop where which you live. But, my group is not a good group at all. I find them very rude. and not nice to be around. and, i am afrid if this is the face of the sca .. then i dont want to join the SCA.

                            • Maria Buchanan
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 24, 2010
                                Hi Anne,

                                I'm very sorry you have found a group near you that you don't like playing with.
                                You can join the SCA and play with whatever group you want to.  However, your numbers will still go to the group where you reside.  I have seen people who get a PO Box if it is someplace where they are close enough for that to work.  They register with the PO Box address and their numbers then go to the group where the PO box is.

                                Maria