Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Question about joining

  • wendy brown
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
      Greetings,
      I have a bachi ball set. We love to play.
      The funky looking letters are in the accessories... then system tools .... then character map.
      Have a great time in the sca.
      I am looking for info on a pirate game called Rhumb line. Any ideas?
      Ælfwynn of Lynford

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
        Don't be discouraged. This is my second year in the SCA and I'm still
        not 100% comfortable. It'll work out though, it just takes time. It
        has occured to me - why bother to recruit members if you're not going
        to retain them? I just went to my first Pennsic and as with other
        events - it seems a lot of the communication is within "cliches" (for
        lack of a better word.) But on the other hand, several people have
        taken me (and my boyfriend) under their wings for periods of time and
        have been AWESOMELY helpful and inspiring.

        In thinking about it, I remember that the SCA is hands-on, not for
        entertainment, like a Ren Fair. At one of my first events, there was
        only one other new person and me. Then, the other person left. I
        said "I hope you aren't staying here because of me." And, the old-
        timers replied: "No, we're here for each other." Now I know that's
        true. Sometimes when I go to events, it seems like there isn't that
        much going on, but then I realize the old-timers are largely there to
        hang out with their friends. I'm not discouraged, because I figure
        I've got the rest of my life to get to know them. And I'm assuming
        that that's a good deal of time even if I am in my 40s. ::grin::

        Good luck,
        Kaelyn
      • Kyla
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 23, 2008
          " It seems a lot of the communication is within clichés.' "
          I'm sure what you meant was cliques - small groups of people who consider
          themselves to be 'in', but I love the idea of communicating in clichés -
          hoary old sayings that are so common they are tedious.

          I laughed so loud my guy came to see what was so funny!

          Tabitha Pennywarden
          Ravenslake, Midlands
          Middle Kingdom

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
            We should be better at retention but we are all volunteers and not
            everyone has the personal skills to be good at that. My experience so
            far has been that the SCA is kind of like a big on-going party. People
            that have been to the party before.. have met some people.. and started
            creating friendships. People that havent, are nervous and still need
            to find people they can consider friends. But you wouldnt think about
            actively "retaining" someone at a party. You just have fun and expect
            that everyone else is doing the same.

            I know, I know.. I saw the second half of your email where you came to
            the same conclusion.. but I am thinking outloud.. or in print. virtual
            print. =) I think it would be helpful if we all promote the idea that
            the way that each of us plays "The SCA" impacts the experience of all
            others. There are folks in my barony that you would swear were time
            warpped to this century. They ARE the part. I LOVE being around
            them. Others.. arent there yet.

            Ack, I got off track. If we all just TRY to take your attitude that
            you have the rest of your life to get to know them.. then I think
            we'll all be much better off.

            Sæmundr (PS dont worry bout the funny letters. Most people just type
            saemundr and I am perfectly fine with that)

            --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy" <kathy49503@...> wrote:

            > Don't be discouraged. This is my second year in the SCA and I'm still
            > not 100% comfortable. It'll work out though, it just takes time. It
            > has occured to me - why bother to recruit members if you're not going
            > to retain them? I just went to my first Pennsic and as with other
            > events - it seems a lot of the communication is within "cliches" (for
            > lack of a better word.) But on the other hand, several people have
            > taken me (and my boyfriend) under their wings for periods of time and
            > have been AWESOMELY helpful and inspiring.
          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
              ARRGGGGHH! I hate it when I do that! ::blush::
              Thanks for the clarification.

              Kaelyn