Re: Question about joining

  • Sylvax
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
      Teresa,

      I have recently started to delve into the wonderful world of the SCA myself.  Unfortunately, my wifes and my schedules in the mundane world do not make it easy.  However, we get out there and just do our best to "fit in".  At our first event, a demo, we asked questions, helped with set-up, tear down, I even learned how to play Pachi-ball(sp?).  Great game...

      Anyway, as Saemund(sorry, don't know how to get the funky looking letters to come out) said, find a niche for yourself, start trying to arrange classes(the house closest to me has monthly scribal meetings, and the shire has weekly rapier and monthly fighter practice).  You want to make garb?  Ask the Hospitaller about it, he or she might be able to point you to someone who does a great job, and be able to show you where and how to get started.

      As far as being anonymous, using ones mundane name is great.  Unless everyone knows you by your mundane name because you have yet to choose an SCA name...like me.

      John, of Ansteorra

    • wendy brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
        Greetings,
        I have a bachi ball set. We love to play.
        The funky looking letters are in the accessories... then system tools .... then character map.
        Have a great time in the sca.
        I am looking for info on a pirate game called Rhumb line. Any ideas?
        Ælfwynn of Lynford

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
          Don't be discouraged. This is my second year in the SCA and I'm still
          not 100% comfortable. It'll work out though, it just takes time. It
          has occured to me - why bother to recruit members if you're not going
          to retain them? I just went to my first Pennsic and as with other
          events - it seems a lot of the communication is within "cliches" (for
          lack of a better word.) But on the other hand, several people have
          taken me (and my boyfriend) under their wings for periods of time and
          have been AWESOMELY helpful and inspiring.

          In thinking about it, I remember that the SCA is hands-on, not for
          entertainment, like a Ren Fair. At one of my first events, there was
          only one other new person and me. Then, the other person left. I
          said "I hope you aren't staying here because of me." And, the old-
          timers replied: "No, we're here for each other." Now I know that's
          true. Sometimes when I go to events, it seems like there isn't that
          much going on, but then I realize the old-timers are largely there to
          hang out with their friends. I'm not discouraged, because I figure
          I've got the rest of my life to get to know them. And I'm assuming
          that that's a good deal of time even if I am in my 40s. ::grin::

          Good luck,
          Kaelyn
        • Kyla
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 23, 2008
            " It seems a lot of the communication is within clichés.' "
            I'm sure what you meant was cliques - small groups of people who consider
            themselves to be 'in', but I love the idea of communicating in clichés -
            hoary old sayings that are so common they are tedious.

            I laughed so loud my guy came to see what was so funny!

            Tabitha Pennywarden
            Ravenslake, Midlands
            Middle Kingdom

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
              We should be better at retention but we are all volunteers and not
              everyone has the personal skills to be good at that. My experience so
              far has been that the SCA is kind of like a big on-going party. People
              that have been to the party before.. have met some people.. and started
              creating friendships. People that havent, are nervous and still need
              to find people they can consider friends. But you wouldnt think about
              actively "retaining" someone at a party. You just have fun and expect
              that everyone else is doing the same.

              I know, I know.. I saw the second half of your email where you came to
              the same conclusion.. but I am thinking outloud.. or in print. virtual
              print. =) I think it would be helpful if we all promote the idea that
              the way that each of us plays "The SCA" impacts the experience of all
              others. There are folks in my barony that you would swear were time
              warpped to this century. They ARE the part. I LOVE being around
              them. Others.. arent there yet.

              Ack, I got off track. If we all just TRY to take your attitude that
              you have the rest of your life to get to know them.. then I think
              we'll all be much better off.

              Sæmundr (PS dont worry bout the funny letters. Most people just type
              saemundr and I am perfectly fine with that)

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
                ARRGGGGHH! I hate it when I do that! ::blush::
                Thanks for the clarification.

                Kaelyn