Re: Where to purchase rapier?

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
      There are several places that are good.

      Zen Warrior Armory is a good beginner place. Think of it like buying
      that toyota that'll be a good starter car. Nothing fancy and safe.

      http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/

      Dark Wood Armory is an excellent place. However, think of it more
      like the Cadillac. Expensive! and oh so worth it.

      http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/

      There are other resources. I strongly recommend against buying second
      hand online. You NEVER know what you are really getting. Ask your
      local rapier marshal what they recommend and what KIND OF RAPIER they
      recommend as well. Not all rapiers are the same, (weight, length,
      pommel, quillons etc all make a difference), and some better fit
      certain styles of fighting that others do. Most people pick up my old
      sword and say they could never use it. Its shortish (37 inch) no
      discernable quillons and almost no hand protection and always wanted
      to cut instead of poke. Worked wonderfully for me.

      I hope these resources are useful to you. Both absolutely cater to
      the SCA folks.

      Ian the Green

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "l8rmon" <l8rmon@...> wrote:

      > Greetings to all.
      >
      > My son started fencing lessons about a year ago, then about six months
      > ago met someone who teaches rapier. It has been his passion ever
      > since. In exchange for attending a summer math acadamy, we agreed to
      > buy him a rapier. Now the time has come to pay the piper. He is set
      > on a sword from Darkwood Armoury as recommended by his instructor, but
      > I am hoping someone can give me good reasons to start with a less
      > expensive blade.
      >
      > His aunt is making him a shirt that should meet SCA combat
      > specifications. Any other suggestions for the newbie fencer will be
      > welcome. Thanks.
      >
      > Tom

    • Sylvax
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        Another good place to look is at the members of your shire, barony, or canton.  I am in the process myself of buying rapiers from our shires sinishaw(sp), as he is medically unable to fight anymore.  You might be able to find a deal that way, too.

        Just offering up more suggestions!

        John, Shire of Rosenfeld, Kingdom of Ansteorra

      • Pat Allies
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
          M'Lady
          There is only one good reason to go to a cheaper blade, the cost. I personally own 3 Darkwood blades and have used them for aprox 3 years with no major damage. I have fought against and with the Henwey(sp) blades and found them to be very whippy and hard to control as a biginner. Darkwood Armoury has an excellent reputation as far as quality and guarentee. As a good rule of thumb for a newbie into a sport such as this is, Buy the very best you can afford and work up. If it possible I would recomend the "bated" blades over the "practice" blades as they take a lot more abuse.
          As to other advice the "shirt" is a great idea as they look very cool, you could also consider a tabard as they are very easy to make. I also where a suit of "under armour" made in the form of a snug fitting tunic and made out of heavy bleu jean denim. I like the under armour as it has gussette protection for the armpit and adds a little protection for my chest, abdoman and back from the occassional hard hit.
          Thank you and I hope this is of some service
          Bart Archer
          Appledore Shire Champion

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
            I am a relatively new fencer, and I just bought my first blade at
            pennsic. It might just be me, but being able to try the blade before
            buying it made all the difference. I ended up going to zen warrior,
            mainly for price (I am a poor college student!) and I found a blade I
            fell in love with. I figure that if I have a relatively cheap one now,
            I can save up over the next few years and get a really spiffy one from
            darkwood. Also in a few years I'll know a bit more about fencing
            (hopefully!) and be able to pick out a blade knowing what I want,
            instead of going on other people's recommendation.

            Best of Luck!

            ~Amalie
          • PATRICIA BENTLEY
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
              I am a fencer in training not ready for qualifyed fighting yet but a lot of rapiers I know are purchased from Zen warrior they are online and were at pennsic I think also make trips to burka

              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: sylvax2@...: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:27:33 -0700Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Where to purchase rapier?

              Another good place to look is at the members of your shire, barony, or canton. I am in the process myself of buying rapiers from our shires sinishaw(sp), as he is medically unable to fight anymore. You might be able to find a deal that way, too. Just offering up more suggestions!John, Shire of Rosenfeld, Kingdom of Ansteorra[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Otto von Schwyz
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
                Greetings,

                I live about an hour from Zen Warrior Armory. Walter and his group do a
                wonderful job with the SCA. I have been using their gear since 1986 for
                both strip fencing and SCA rapier.

                http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?category=45

                Otto

                I am a fencer in training not ready for qualifyed fighting yet but a lot of
                rapiers I know are purchased from Zen warrior they are online and were at
                pennsic I think also make trips to burka

                To: scanewcomers@ <mailto:scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.comFrom>
                yahoogroups.comFrom: sylvax2@yahoo. <mailto:sylvax2%40yahoo.comDate>
                comDate: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:27:33 -0700Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re: Where to
                purchase rapier?