Re: [SCA Newcomers] Question about joining

  • Otto von Schwyz
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4 6:21 AM
      There is nothing worst then a lethargic group when it comes to new members.� New members are the life blood of our society and that energy should be used to develop productive and vital individuals in a local group.

      When I first started, I was lucky enough to have a mentor to show me what is what.� I moved across the country and within a year I help start a Shire.� I was in an area that was 2+ hours from the nearest group so we had to come up with everything; made for some interesting and colorful traditions and quarks.� Most of the membership of this Shire was college age and money and travel was an issue.�

      As for your case, depends on how much energy you want to put into the local group.� You can start a class or workshop night; take a deputy position of an office; etc.� You mention that you�re not a social butterfly.� Nothing wrong with that, ice breakers; ask about their garb, armor, stuff and move into their personas.� You might find that this is boring or very interesting; I personally haven�t notice any middle ground with this line of questions.�

      The fact that they loaned you garb is a good thing; shows me that the group does care enough to help out.� Now, there is nothing wrong with playing with a different group.� If there isn�t a problem with transportation, then go for it.� You�ll learn things in the workgroups that you can take back to the local group if you like.

      Remember the majority care about the SCA and would love to have new members.� We might not show that often or at worst drive people off; but if you like you can contact me off list if you need someone to answer questions, bounce ideas off, vent, etc.

      Yours in Service,
      Herr Otto von Schwyz
      Society Chronicler, SCA, Inc.

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tpeterson1937"

      Hello to all! I will be forthright with you all and let you know that I am writing under an assumed name. Please read on and you will understand why.

      I have recently joined the SCA. I have attended meetings for a few months (we meet every week) and attended my first event last weekend.� The reason I am writing under an assumed name, is because I do not wish to disgrace or embarrass or anger anyone in my group. So I will not disclose either the shire or the kingdom to which I will belong, but rather post my question anonymously and hope for the best.

      Most of the members in my group have been in the SCA for years and seem pretty lackadaisical (sp?) We do not have workshops at meetings (only fighter practices) so should I join another neighboring shire that DO have workshops and have interests closer to mine? Also, I realize these people have a history with each other, and though they are on the surface friendly, I have had a hard time sharing and being comfortable with them. For someone who is not a social butterfly, what are some ways for me to break the ice? I have so many questions and just don't feel like they want to help me.

      On the positive side, they loaned me garb for my event and since I don't want to overstay my welcome and will be returning the garb this week. I don't want to be seen as a leech or anything, but I have just not felt like they were glad for me to be in the group.

      Some of the things I have tried were to ask individuals about their personas, how long they have been involved, and what their interests are etc. I feel like I have really tried to make conversation but it just isn�t happening. I really enjoy studying the time period and hate to think I would not enjoy myself and would not be able to be in the SCA because of the above.

      So please if you all have any ideas, I would love to hear them.� Please be kind as I am just two steps away from abandoning my desire to join the SCA.

      Teresa from nowhere land

    • Sylvax
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 5 6:23 AM
        Teresa,

        I have recently started to delve into the wonderful world of the SCA myself.  Unfortunately, my wifes and my schedules in the mundane world do not make it easy.  However, we get out there and just do our best to "fit in".  At our first event, a demo, we asked questions, helped with set-up, tear down, I even learned how to play Pachi-ball(sp?).  Great game...

        Anyway, as Saemund(sorry, don't know how to get the funky looking letters to come out) said, find a niche for yourself, start trying to arrange classes(the house closest to me has monthly scribal meetings, and the shire has weekly rapier and monthly fighter practice).  You want to make garb?  Ask the Hospitaller about it, he or she might be able to point you to someone who does a great job, and be able to show you where and how to get started.

        As far as being anonymous, using ones mundane name is great.  Unless everyone knows you by your mundane name because you have yet to choose an SCA name...like me.

        John, of Ansteorra

      • wendy brown
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10 10:02 PM
          Greetings,
          I have a bachi ball set. We love to play.
          The funky looking letters are in the accessories... then system tools .... then character map.
          Have a great time in the sca.
          I am looking for info on a pirate game called Rhumb line. Any ideas?
          Ælfwynn of Lynford

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 22 1:43 PM
            Don't be discouraged. This is my second year in the SCA and I'm still
            not 100% comfortable. It'll work out though, it just takes time. It
            has occured to me - why bother to recruit members if you're not going
            to retain them? I just went to my first Pennsic and as with other
            events - it seems a lot of the communication is within "cliches" (for
            lack of a better word.) But on the other hand, several people have
            taken me (and my boyfriend) under their wings for periods of time and
            have been AWESOMELY helpful and inspiring.

            In thinking about it, I remember that the SCA is hands-on, not for
            entertainment, like a Ren Fair. At one of my first events, there was
            only one other new person and me. Then, the other person left. I
            said "I hope you aren't staying here because of me." And, the old-
            timers replied: "No, we're here for each other." Now I know that's
            true. Sometimes when I go to events, it seems like there isn't that
            much going on, but then I realize the old-timers are largely there to
            hang out with their friends. I'm not discouraged, because I figure
            I've got the rest of my life to get to know them. And I'm assuming
            that that's a good deal of time even if I am in my 40s. ::grin::

            Good luck,
            Kaelyn
          • Kyla
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 23 6:18 AM
              " It seems a lot of the communication is within clichés.' "
              I'm sure what you meant was cliques - small groups of people who consider
              themselves to be 'in', but I love the idea of communicating in clichés -
              hoary old sayings that are so common they are tedious.

              I laughed so loud my guy came to see what was so funny!

              Tabitha Pennywarden
              Ravenslake, Midlands
              Middle Kingdom

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 25 5:20 AM
                We should be better at retention but we are all volunteers and not
                everyone has the personal skills to be good at that. My experience so
                far has been that the SCA is kind of like a big on-going party. People
                that have been to the party before.. have met some people.. and started
                creating friendships. People that havent, are nervous and still need
                to find people they can consider friends. But you wouldnt think about
                actively "retaining" someone at a party. You just have fun and expect
                that everyone else is doing the same.

                I know, I know.. I saw the second half of your email where you came to
                the same conclusion.. but I am thinking outloud.. or in print. virtual
                print. =) I think it would be helpful if we all promote the idea that
                the way that each of us plays "The SCA" impacts the experience of all
                others. There are folks in my barony that you would swear were time
                warpped to this century. They ARE the part. I LOVE being around
                them. Others.. arent there yet.

                Ack, I got off track. If we all just TRY to take your attitude that
                you have the rest of your life to get to know them.. then I think
                we'll all be much better off.

                Sæmundr (PS dont worry bout the funny letters. Most people just type
                saemundr and I am perfectly fine with that)

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 25 7:42 AM
                  ARRGGGGHH! I hate it when I do that! ::blush::
                  Thanks for the clarification.

                  Kaelyn