re: Question about joining

  • Sæmundr inn skærr
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
      I had the same experience as you in the beginning. But I've come to accept
      that people in the SCA, whether new to it or long time member, are generally
      not your normal social butterflies. There are exceptions, of course. If
      they were "normal" then they would be off on the weekends doing one of the
      many activities that all the mundanes do. But they have a love for SCA,
      history, arts, fighting, and so much more. They "types" of people that are
      attracted to the SCA dont fit into the societal norms but all are accepted
      here and so they come here. Disclaimer: I am speaking from general
      observations and there is nothing wrong with being normal or abnormal..
      those are the sticky labels that people like to use.

      So, I would consider myself a person that is some where between "normal" and
      not so normal. What I did was to find one or two people that generally
      accepted me and I learned from them. Some times i felt like a tag along but
      they didnt seem to mind and it helped me to become more familiar with the
      structure I was dealing with and it helped me to bond with atleast a small
      group. Then I participated in every single thing I could find to attend.
      Even if it were with another group (there are two baronies and one canton in
      my area). It helped when I got married because then I wasnt just a single
      guy looking for something to do (but I wouldnt suggest that as a course of
      action). We volunteered, we became officers, we filled spots that needed
      filled and now we feel fully accepted and engulfed in what we do.

      I would also suggest that if there are no workshops, that you begin putting
      some classes together. It doesnt matter that you are new. Find out what
      people are good at and ask them if they would lead a class for an hour or
      two on day. Then gather people from all over your area to attend. Become
      known as that people that gets interesting things started.

      Lastly, a friend of mine is a sales manager. They have a saying that goes
      something like "Weird rich, normal poor". Basically what that saying means
      is that if you go along with the same flow that everyone else is doing...
      then the same results will happen. But if you do something that is outside
      of the norms, there is an opportunity to find success.

      Hope that helps
      Sæmundr the pure
      Minister of Arts & Science
      Skorragarðr, Canton of Ansteorra

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tpeterson1937"
      <tpeterson1937@...> wrote:

      > Hello to all! I will be forthright with you all and let you know
      that
      > I am writing under an assumed name. Please read on and you will
      > understand why.
      >
      > I have recently joined the SCA. I have attended meetings for a few
      > months (we meet every week) and attended my first event last
      weekend.
      > The reason I am writing under an assumed name, is because I do not
      > wish to discrace or embarass or anger anyone in my group. So I will
      > not disclose either the shire or the kingdom to which I will
      belong,
      > but rather post my question anonmously and hope for the best.
      >
      > Most of the members in my group have been in the SCA for years and
      > seem pretty lackadasial (sp?) We do not have workshops at meetings
      > (only fighter practices) so should I join another neighboring shire
      > who DO have workshops and have interests closer to mine? Also, I
      > realize these people have a history with each other, and though
      they
      > are on the surface friendly, I have had a hard time sharing and
      being
      > comfortable with them. For someone who is not a social butterfly,
      > what are some ways for me to break the ice? I have so many
      questions
      > and just don't feel like they want to help me.
      >
      > On the positive side, they loaned me garb for my event and since I
      > don't want to overstay my welcome and will be returning the garb
      this
      > week. I don't want to be seen as a leech or anything, but I have
      just
      > not felt like they were glad for me to be in the group.
      >
      > Some of the things I have tried was to ask individuals about their
      > personas, how long they have been involved, what their interests
      are
      > etc. I feel like I have really tried to make conversation but it
      just
      > isnt happening. I really enjoy studying the time period and hate to
      > think I would not enjoy myself and would not be able to be in the
      SCA

      --
      Find all thats good in life at:
      http://saemundrthepure.blogspot.com/

      My life, my hobbies, and pictures at http://jimcouch.googlepages.com/

    • Otto von Schwyz
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 4, 2008
        There is nothing worst then a lethargic group when it comes to new members.� New members are the life blood of our society and that energy should be used to develop productive and vital individuals in a local group.

        When I first started, I was lucky enough to have a mentor to show me what is what.� I moved across the country and within a year I help start a Shire.� I was in an area that was 2+ hours from the nearest group so we had to come up with everything; made for some interesting and colorful traditions and quarks.� Most of the membership of this Shire was college age and money and travel was an issue.�

        As for your case, depends on how much energy you want to put into the local group.� You can start a class or workshop night; take a deputy position of an office; etc.� You mention that you�re not a social butterfly.� Nothing wrong with that, ice breakers; ask about their garb, armor, stuff and move into their personas.� You might find that this is boring or very interesting; I personally haven�t notice any middle ground with this line of questions.�

        The fact that they loaned you garb is a good thing; shows me that the group does care enough to help out.� Now, there is nothing wrong with playing with a different group.� If there isn�t a problem with transportation, then go for it.� You�ll learn things in the workgroups that you can take back to the local group if you like.

        Remember the majority care about the SCA and would love to have new members.� We might not show that often or at worst drive people off; but if you like you can contact me off list if you need someone to answer questions, bounce ideas off, vent, etc.

        Yours in Service,
        Herr Otto von Schwyz
        Society Chronicler, SCA, Inc.

        --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tpeterson1937"

        Hello to all! I will be forthright with you all and let you know that I am writing under an assumed name. Please read on and you will understand why.

        I have recently joined the SCA. I have attended meetings for a few months (we meet every week) and attended my first event last weekend.� The reason I am writing under an assumed name, is because I do not wish to disgrace or embarrass or anger anyone in my group. So I will not disclose either the shire or the kingdom to which I will belong, but rather post my question anonymously and hope for the best.

        Most of the members in my group have been in the SCA for years and seem pretty lackadaisical (sp?) We do not have workshops at meetings (only fighter practices) so should I join another neighboring shire that DO have workshops and have interests closer to mine? Also, I realize these people have a history with each other, and though they are on the surface friendly, I have had a hard time sharing and being comfortable with them. For someone who is not a social butterfly, what are some ways for me to break the ice? I have so many questions and just don't feel like they want to help me.

        On the positive side, they loaned me garb for my event and since I don't want to overstay my welcome and will be returning the garb this week. I don't want to be seen as a leech or anything, but I have just not felt like they were glad for me to be in the group.

        Some of the things I have tried were to ask individuals about their personas, how long they have been involved, and what their interests are etc. I feel like I have really tried to make conversation but it just isn�t happening. I really enjoy studying the time period and hate to think I would not enjoy myself and would not be able to be in the SCA because of the above.

        So please if you all have any ideas, I would love to hear them.� Please be kind as I am just two steps away from abandoning my desire to join the SCA.

        Teresa from nowhere land

      • Sylvax
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
          Teresa,

          I have recently started to delve into the wonderful world of the SCA myself.  Unfortunately, my wifes and my schedules in the mundane world do not make it easy.  However, we get out there and just do our best to "fit in".  At our first event, a demo, we asked questions, helped with set-up, tear down, I even learned how to play Pachi-ball(sp?).  Great game...

          Anyway, as Saemund(sorry, don't know how to get the funky looking letters to come out) said, find a niche for yourself, start trying to arrange classes(the house closest to me has monthly scribal meetings, and the shire has weekly rapier and monthly fighter practice).  You want to make garb?  Ask the Hospitaller about it, he or she might be able to point you to someone who does a great job, and be able to show you where and how to get started.

          As far as being anonymous, using ones mundane name is great.  Unless everyone knows you by your mundane name because you have yet to choose an SCA name...like me.

          John, of Ansteorra

        • wendy brown
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
            Greetings,
            I have a bachi ball set. We love to play.
            The funky looking letters are in the accessories... then system tools .... then character map.
            Have a great time in the sca.
            I am looking for info on a pirate game called Rhumb line. Any ideas?
            Ælfwynn of Lynford

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
              Don't be discouraged. This is my second year in the SCA and I'm still
              not 100% comfortable. It'll work out though, it just takes time. It
              has occured to me - why bother to recruit members if you're not going
              to retain them? I just went to my first Pennsic and as with other
              events - it seems a lot of the communication is within "cliches" (for
              lack of a better word.) But on the other hand, several people have
              taken me (and my boyfriend) under their wings for periods of time and
              have been AWESOMELY helpful and inspiring.

              In thinking about it, I remember that the SCA is hands-on, not for
              entertainment, like a Ren Fair. At one of my first events, there was
              only one other new person and me. Then, the other person left. I
              said "I hope you aren't staying here because of me." And, the old-
              timers replied: "No, we're here for each other." Now I know that's
              true. Sometimes when I go to events, it seems like there isn't that
              much going on, but then I realize the old-timers are largely there to
              hang out with their friends. I'm not discouraged, because I figure
              I've got the rest of my life to get to know them. And I'm assuming
              that that's a good deal of time even if I am in my 40s. ::grin::

              Good luck,
              Kaelyn
            • Kyla
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 23, 2008
                " It seems a lot of the communication is within clichés.' "
                I'm sure what you meant was cliques - small groups of people who consider
                themselves to be 'in', but I love the idea of communicating in clichés -
                hoary old sayings that are so common they are tedious.

                I laughed so loud my guy came to see what was so funny!

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
                  We should be better at retention but we are all volunteers and not
                  everyone has the personal skills to be good at that. My experience so
                  far has been that the SCA is kind of like a big on-going party. People
                  that have been to the party before.. have met some people.. and started
                  creating friendships. People that havent, are nervous and still need
                  to find people they can consider friends. But you wouldnt think about
                  actively "retaining" someone at a party. You just have fun and expect
                  that everyone else is doing the same.

                  I know, I know.. I saw the second half of your email where you came to
                  the same conclusion.. but I am thinking outloud.. or in print. virtual
                  print. =) I think it would be helpful if we all promote the idea that
                  the way that each of us plays "The SCA" impacts the experience of all
                  others. There are folks in my barony that you would swear were time
                  warpped to this century. They ARE the part. I LOVE being around
                  them. Others.. arent there yet.

                  Ack, I got off track. If we all just TRY to take your attitude that
                  you have the rest of your life to get to know them.. then I think
                  we'll all be much better off.

                  Sæmundr (PS dont worry bout the funny letters. Most people just type
                  saemundr and I am perfectly fine with that)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
                    ARRGGGGHH! I hate it when I do that! ::blush::
                    Thanks for the clarification.

                    Kaelyn