Re: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless

  • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 3, 2008
      Patti the Nameless maybe? Patti Sans Nom?
      YIS,

      Giertrud Gyldenstierne
      RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

    • Lovedaia
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3, 2008
        The tag-along..."the naked" came about when after surgery I gained to
        much weight to fit into any of my clothes, and came to events in mundane
        wear. We have Rodrigo to credit with that entire incident. He's the
        great-namer of our Shire. It was HIS idea to cover my mundane clothing
        with "Hello...my name is..." stickers. His idea of "period correct" was
        to make green squiggles with a Sharpie pen...and call it all Celtic.

        He's such a handful sometimes. I'm just glad it's not MY weekend to
        watch him!

        Lovedaia Makeblith of Calontir
      • Michael Peterson
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 3, 2008
          I use a 100% corn starch baby powder.  It seems to work pretty well.

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 3, 2008
            I've tried all sorts of powders and concoctions, and they really have
            not helped me, and wearing biking type shorts in the winter is fine, for
            an added layer of warmth, but in the summer it's just to much for me, so
            after much trial and error...I'm sticking to anti-persperant...which
            keeps me from sticking to myself !
          • Colleen Tarver
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 4, 2008
              On my way to Gulf Wars last March I stopped at Wal-mart for ice and adult
              beverages and while I was there I wandered through the clothing dept and
              found my perfect solution ... crop leggings for $5 a pair. I am not a small
              woman and the XL fit like a second skin but they were wonderful! Best of
              all I could lounge around camp wearing one of my husband's tunics and not
              feel "exposed".

              I've tried the baby powder and various other products that claim to prevent
              chaffing without much success. The best commercial solution I have found is
              the new Monistat cream to powder . goes on like a cream but dries to a
              powder; works well for one day, indoor events but not so well in MS heat. I
              have not tried the antiperspirant trick so I can't express an opinion about
              that.

              Caoilinn inghean Riocaird

              A&S Officer

              Shire of Iron Ox

              Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

            • Kristen Praiswater
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                I completely understand where you are coming from, it took me almost 6 months to come up with my persona, so take your time and decide what time period you are interested in, then pick a culture you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing you would like to wear, then get on the internet and research everything.  For names I did a lot of research on www.s-gabriel.org, and on the heraldry link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove several different names to see which one I liked the best.

                Kristen

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Baby powder works I also was told that the spray on deodorant works well too.  I have worn shorts under my skirts too.

                  From: Sharon <angelzgrammy@ gmail.com>

                  To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                    Listen everyone. I've been in the SCA for 10 years
                    now. You really want to know how I picked my persona?

                    I looked at garb and said to myself, "Self, what kind
                    of clothing is easiest for you to make? You know you
                    won't have the patience for more intricate stuff, so
                    choose something easy to make!!"

                    Now I'know I'm going to get yelled at here ...
                    Commence yelling everyone ...

                    Ok. Done?

                    I know myself. I know I don't have the patience to do
                    the intricate work involved in Italian Ren. I know I
                    don't have the money to pay someone to do that work.
                    So what did I do? I did what I could!!!

                    I'm saying this because, everyone says, pick a persona
                    that you're comfortable with. But no one ever says,
                    do you know what you're comfortable with. It's really
                    fine to see some really pretty late Italian Ren Garb
                    and say "Oooo pretty. I want a persona like that.
                    But I can't afford to pay someone to make the garb and
                    I don't have the time/patience to make it myself." It
                    really is!!! I promise.

                    BTW, Italian Ren isn't always hard to make.
                    Expecially early Italian Ren, which is what I found
                    out. That's why my persona is late 1300's Italian.
                    (It's also a bit cooler in the heat which here in
                    Houston TX is really nice.) And I'm so NOT a
                    seemstress it's scary!!!

                    Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                    Maria Buchanan
                    Coastal Regional Chronicler
                    Kingdom of Ansteorra
                    --- Kristen Praiswater <spellsinger28@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I completely understand where you are coming from,
                    > it took me almost 6 months to come up with my
                    > persona, so take your time and decide what time
                    > period you are interested in, then pick a culture
                    > you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing
                    > you would like to wear, then get on the internet and
                    > research everything.  For names I did a lot of
                    > research on www.s-gabriel.org, and on the heraldry
                    > link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't
                    > stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove
                    > several different names to see which one I liked the
                    > best.
                    >
                    > Kristen
                    >
                    > --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Lisa Crouch
                    > <tiptoes8475@...> wrote:
                    > From: Lisa Crouch <tiptoes8475@...>
                    > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless
                    > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 6:36 PM
                    >

                    > My name is Lisa...hi :) I am going to
                    > camp tomorrow with my Husband
                    >
                    > who has been doing this for a few years now. I have
                    > never gone to
                    >
                    > anything. So I have been sewing non-stop all week.
                    > And I feel sooo
                    >
                    > unprepared. All I have ended up with is a mish mash
                    > of skirts shirts
                    >
                    > and a few dresses that don't match each other, then
                    > he tells me last
                    >
                    > night that I need a name too? I really feel clueless
                    > and don't want to
                    >
                    > embarass him!! I need help or maybe just a zanax!

                    > removed]

                  • James Taylor
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                      Instead of Baby Powder, I use Gold Bond Medicated body powder. It works well
                      as a preventative, and helps any existing chafing if you forget to put it on
                      beforehand. Great stuff.

                      On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Kristen Praiswater <
                      spellsinger28@...> wrote:

                      > Baby powder works I also was told that the spray on deodorant works well
                      > too. I have worn shorts under my skirts too.
                      >
                      > --- On Sun, 8/3/08, Michael Peterson <breddelwyn_ii@...<breddelwyn_ii%40yahoo.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      > From: Michael Peterson <breddelwyn_ii@...<breddelwyn_ii%40yahoo.com>
                      > >

                      > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing
                      > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Date: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 3:04 PM
                      >

                      > I use a 100% corn starch baby powder. It seems to work pretty well.

                    • Kristen Praiswater
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                        Lol my sewing skills are not that great either, I still can't sew a straight line even with a guide.

                        Caitlin inghean ui Cheallaigh,
                        Kristen Praiswater
                        Barony of Seleone

                        --- Kristen Praiswater <spellsinger28@ yahoo.com>

                        wrote:

                        > I completely understand where you are coming from,

                        > it took me almost 6 months to come up with my

                        > persona, so take your time and decide what time

                        > period you are interested in, then pick a culture

                        > you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing

                        > you would like to wear, then get on the internet and

                        > research everything.  For names I did a lot of

                        > research on www.s-gabriel. org, and on the heraldry

                        > link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't

                        > stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove

                        > several different names to see which one I liked the

                        > best.

                        > Kristen

                        > --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Lisa Crouch

                        > <tiptoes8475@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                        > From: Lisa Crouch <tiptoes8475@ yahoo.com>

                        > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless

                        > To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                        > Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 6:36 PM

                        > My name is Lisa...hi :) I am going to

                        > camp tomorrow with my Husband

                        > who has been doing this for a few years now. I have

                        > never gone to

                        > anything. So I have been sewing non-stop all week.

                        > And I feel sooo

                        > unprepared. All I have ended up with is a mish mash

                        > of skirts shirts

                        > and a few dresses that don't match each other, then

                        > he tells me last

                        > night that I need a name too? I really feel clueless

                        > and don't want to

                        > embarass him!! I need help or maybe just a zanax!

                        > removed]

                      • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                          I don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the
                          effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore
                          the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for
                          this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel
                          <http://www.monistat.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm>. A
                          Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't
                          remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up
                          something called "Squeaky Cheeks"
                          <http://www.squeakycheeks.com/about.html>, which is formulated to stay
                          on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder
                          and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.

                          Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                          Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                        • Gliowien Rayna
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 11, 2008
                            Squeeky Cheeks....just the name alone cracks me up.

                            Pun intended.

                            Lovedaia
                          • Kristen Praiswater
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 12, 2008
                              Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!

                              CAITLÍN inghean ui Cheallaigh
                              Barony of Seleone

                              I don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the

                              effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore

                              the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for

                              this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel

                              <http://www.monistat .com/soothingcar e/products_ chafing_gel. htm>. A

                              Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't

                              remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up

                              something called "Squeaky Cheeks"

                              <http://www.squeakyc heeks.com/ about.html>, which is formulated to stay

                              on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder

                              and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.

                              Coblaith Mhuimhneach

                              Barony of Bryn Gwlad

                              Kingdom of Ansteorra

                              <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                            • PATRICIA BENTLEY
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 21, 2008
                                everyone can laugh if they want I have a book on kitchen remedies and it actually says to prevent chaffing apply liberal amounts of chapstick or desitine cream there is also product out there called yes of all things Butt Creame.. so laugh at squeaky cheeks if you want to but i think Butt Paste is funnier also these products work better when apply in small amounts before you start what ever it is that is going to make you chafe.

                                good luck

                                Gisele
                                Barony Smoking Rocks

                                To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: spellsinger28@...: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:06:19 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing

                                Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!CAITL�N inghean ui CheallaighBarony of Seleone--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:From: Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh ChaffingTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, August 11, 2008, 4:20 PMI don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel <http://www.monistat .com/soothingcar e/products_ chafing_gel. htm>. A Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up something called "Squeaky Cheeks" <http://www.squeakyc heeks.com/ about.html>, which is formulated to stay on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.Coblaith MhuimhneachBarony of Bryn GwladKingdom of Ansteorra<mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 21, 2008
                                  You mean Boudreaux's Butt Paste?

                                • tudorpot@gmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 21, 2008
                                    Butt paste was devised to treat kiddies undergoing chemotherapy who
                                    developed horrid bum rash (red open skin as if burned) related to the
                                    corrosive diarrhea caused by the chemo. My dear nephew (doing very
                                    well now) had this and butt paste was a life saver. Equal parts zinc
                                    oxide, stomahesive paste and antifungal cream.

                                    I have had good results with using roll on deoderant on my thighs.

                                    Freda

                                    On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:57 PM, PATRICIA BENTLEY wrote:

                                    > Butt Paste

                                  • christopher chastain
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 21, 2008
                                      Pardon me but what makes this funnier is the Barony from which it came, Barony of Smoking Rocks! Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Semper Paratus"Triskele LegionnaireClan Dunncan

                                      http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/

                                    • Kristen Praiswater
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                                        It just sounded funny, I used boudreaux's butt paste on my little one when he was in diapers.  I never thought to use desitin or anything like that.  Thanks for the info!

                                        everyone can laugh if they want I have a book on kitchen remedies and it
                                        actually says to prevent chaffing apply liberal amounts of chapstick or desitine
                                        cream there is also product out there called yes of all things Butt Creame.. so
                                        laugh at squeaky cheeks if you want to but i think Butt Paste is funnier also
                                        these products work better when apply in small amounts before you start what
                                        ever it is that is going to make you chafe.

                                        good luck

                                        Gisele
                                        Barony Smoking Rocks

                                        To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: spellsinger28@...: Tue, 12 Aug
                                        2008 10:06:19 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing

                                        Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!CAITLヘN inghean ui

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 22, 2008
                                          ha ha ha too funny!!