Re: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless

  • Lovedaia
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 2 8:23 AM
      Lisa....don't stress !

      You won't embarrass him ... trust me...everyone is very welcoming and
      helpful. In fact, sharing the passion with a Newbie is like a party to
      some of the old-timers, they will enjoying talking with you and helping
      you find your own path. Don't even worry about a name until you've been
      around a bit and you begin to find that you are interested in a
      particular time and place. We're all "works in progress" in the SCA.

      Pack hand sanitizing gel, and baby wipes is my best advice.
      Also...other women might chime in on this....I find a liberal
      application of antiperspirant on my inner thighs helps me be more
      comfortable in the long skirts, since I am a jeans & t-shirt girl in the
      mundane world. Drink lots of water, relax, and just take it all in !!!

      Lovedaia Makeblith in Calontir

      p.s. this thread will be very quiet for the next 10-20 days because so
      many of the populace is at Pennsic, the huge yearly encampment.

    • ladyellen2
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3 8:32 AM
        "I find a liberal application of antiperspirant on my inner thighs
        helps me be more comfortable in the long skirts"

        I am very new to the SCA. My first event was 12th Night.
        Unfortunately my overnight schedule doesn't allow me to go anywhere on
        sundays except to bed, so I miss a lot. However, I have been wearing
        renaissance-ish skirts for 16 years going to the faires. I have found
        the the best thing, for me, (while not period in any way, but no one's
        going to see it but REALLY close friends) is a pair of thin cut-off a
        few inches above the knee sweats. No 'chub rub' at all!! A baby
        powder application can help too prior to donning them. Also, baby
        powder in the scok or stocking prior to putting them on will help with
        the sweat and 'funk'. Especially on a hot day. Hope this helps!

        Patti (no name yet...does this mean I am Patti the Naked?)
        Ravenslake Shire, Midrealm
        Crystal Lake, IL
        (And yes, it gets HOT up here too! lol)
      • Sharon
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 3 8:39 AM
          I tried the roll on antiperspirant suggestion with a mundane dress which I
          needed to be able to wear all day and the temp was high that day, at first
          it felt kind of slimy but it did help for a couple of hours, not
          significantly different than my liquid powder so I am thinking perhaps I
          will stick to that. I have tried wearing shorts or cut offs or biker pants
          under my dresses, but it does not feel right to me and makes me self
          conscious all the time, when I do not wear them I notice that after a few
          minutes of adjustment to the 'skirt mindset' I tend to act as if I always
          wear a dress or skirt, which is not true any longer. I also tried a pair of
          bloomers with the open crotch, they were sort of scratchy and not really all
          that comfortable, still felt like pants or shorts to me. Ah well, I will
          keep trying different things until I find one that works for long periods of
          time and feels right to me. I have enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions.
          Blessed Be,
          Sharon
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
          that take our breath away!
        • Giertrud Gyldenstierne
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 3 9:21 AM
            Patti the Nameless maybe? Patti Sans Nom?
            YIS,

            Giertrud Gyldenstierne
            RUGA Provost, Shire of Blackmoor Keep

          • Lovedaia
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 3 9:25 AM
              The tag-along..."the naked" came about when after surgery I gained to
              much weight to fit into any of my clothes, and came to events in mundane
              wear. We have Rodrigo to credit with that entire incident. He's the
              great-namer of our Shire. It was HIS idea to cover my mundane clothing
              with "Hello...my name is..." stickers. His idea of "period correct" was
              to make green squiggles with a Sharpie pen...and call it all Celtic.

              He's such a handful sometimes. I'm just glad it's not MY weekend to
              watch him!

              Lovedaia Makeblith of Calontir
            • Michael Peterson
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 3 1:04 PM
                I use a 100% corn starch baby powder.  It seems to work pretty well.

                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 3 1:59 PM
                  I've tried all sorts of powders and concoctions, and they really have
                  not helped me, and wearing biking type shorts in the winter is fine, for
                  an added layer of warmth, but in the summer it's just to much for me, so
                  after much trial and error...I'm sticking to anti-persperant...which
                  keeps me from sticking to myself !
                • Colleen Tarver
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 4 4:20 AM
                    On my way to Gulf Wars last March I stopped at Wal-mart for ice and adult
                    beverages and while I was there I wandered through the clothing dept and
                    found my perfect solution ... crop leggings for $5 a pair. I am not a small
                    woman and the XL fit like a second skin but they were wonderful! Best of
                    all I could lounge around camp wearing one of my husband's tunics and not
                    feel "exposed".

                    I've tried the baby powder and various other products that claim to prevent
                    chaffing without much success. The best commercial solution I have found is
                    the new Monistat cream to powder . goes on like a cream but dries to a
                    powder; works well for one day, indoor events but not so well in MS heat. I
                    have not tried the antiperspirant trick so I can't express an opinion about
                    that.

                    Caoilinn inghean Riocaird

                    A&S Officer

                    Shire of Iron Ox

                    Kingdom of Gleann Abhann

                  • Kristen Praiswater
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 11 7:19 AM
                      I completely understand where you are coming from, it took me almost 6 months to come up with my persona, so take your time and decide what time period you are interested in, then pick a culture you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing you would like to wear, then get on the internet and research everything.  For names I did a lot of research on www.s-gabriel.org, and on the heraldry link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove several different names to see which one I liked the best.

                      Kristen

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 11 7:41 AM
                        Baby powder works I also was told that the spray on deodorant works well too.  I have worn shorts under my skirts too.

                        From: Sharon <angelzgrammy@ gmail.com>

                        To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 11 8:58 AM
                          Listen everyone. I've been in the SCA for 10 years
                          now. You really want to know how I picked my persona?

                          I looked at garb and said to myself, "Self, what kind
                          of clothing is easiest for you to make? You know you
                          won't have the patience for more intricate stuff, so
                          choose something easy to make!!"

                          Now I'know I'm going to get yelled at here ...
                          Commence yelling everyone ...

                          Ok. Done?

                          I know myself. I know I don't have the patience to do
                          the intricate work involved in Italian Ren. I know I
                          don't have the money to pay someone to do that work.
                          So what did I do? I did what I could!!!

                          I'm saying this because, everyone says, pick a persona
                          that you're comfortable with. But no one ever says,
                          do you know what you're comfortable with. It's really
                          fine to see some really pretty late Italian Ren Garb
                          and say "Oooo pretty. I want a persona like that.
                          But I can't afford to pay someone to make the garb and
                          I don't have the time/patience to make it myself." It
                          really is!!! I promise.

                          BTW, Italian Ren isn't always hard to make.
                          Expecially early Italian Ren, which is what I found
                          out. That's why my persona is late 1300's Italian.
                          (It's also a bit cooler in the heat which here in
                          Houston TX is really nice.) And I'm so NOT a
                          seemstress it's scary!!!

                          Lady Elizabeta Maria dei Medici
                          Maria Buchanan
                          Coastal Regional Chronicler
                          Kingdom of Ansteorra
                          --- Kristen Praiswater <spellsinger28@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I completely understand where you are coming from,
                          > it took me almost 6 months to come up with my
                          > persona, so take your time and decide what time
                          > period you are interested in, then pick a culture
                          > you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing
                          > you would like to wear, then get on the internet and
                          > research everything.  For names I did a lot of
                          > research on www.s-gabriel.org, and on the heraldry
                          > link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't
                          > stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove
                          > several different names to see which one I liked the
                          > best.
                          >
                          > Kristen
                          >
                          > --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Lisa Crouch
                          > <tiptoes8475@...> wrote:
                          > From: Lisa Crouch <tiptoes8475@...>
                          > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless
                          > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
                          > Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 6:36 PM
                          >

                          > My name is Lisa...hi :) I am going to
                          > camp tomorrow with my Husband
                          >
                          > who has been doing this for a few years now. I have
                          > never gone to
                          >
                          > anything. So I have been sewing non-stop all week.
                          > And I feel sooo
                          >
                          > unprepared. All I have ended up with is a mish mash
                          > of skirts shirts
                          >
                          > and a few dresses that don't match each other, then
                          > he tells me last
                          >
                          > night that I need a name too? I really feel clueless
                          > and don't want to
                          >
                          > embarass him!! I need help or maybe just a zanax!

                          > removed]

                        • James Taylor
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 11 9:47 AM
                            Instead of Baby Powder, I use Gold Bond Medicated body powder. It works well
                            as a preventative, and helps any existing chafing if you forget to put it on
                            beforehand. Great stuff.

                            On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Kristen Praiswater <
                            spellsinger28@...> wrote:

                            > Baby powder works I also was told that the spray on deodorant works well
                            > too. I have worn shorts under my skirts too.
                            >
                            > --- On Sun, 8/3/08, Michael Peterson <breddelwyn_ii@...<breddelwyn_ii%40yahoo.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            > From: Michael Peterson <breddelwyn_ii@...<breddelwyn_ii%40yahoo.com>
                            > >

                            > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing
                            > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Date: Sunday, August 3, 2008, 3:04 PM
                            >

                            > I use a 100% corn starch baby powder. It seems to work pretty well.

                          • Kristen Praiswater
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 11 12:34 PM
                              Lol my sewing skills are not that great either, I still can't sew a straight line even with a guide.

                              Caitlin inghean ui Cheallaigh,
                              Kristen Praiswater
                              Barony of Seleone

                              --- Kristen Praiswater <spellsinger28@ yahoo.com>

                              wrote:

                              > I completely understand where you are coming from,

                              > it took me almost 6 months to come up with my

                              > persona, so take your time and decide what time

                              > period you are interested in, then pick a culture

                              > you are interested in, decide what kind of clothing

                              > you would like to wear, then get on the internet and

                              > research everything.  For names I did a lot of

                              > research on www.s-gabriel. org, and on the heraldry

                              > link at www.sca.com.  I hope this helps, don't

                              > stress and don't get in a rush.  Also I test drove

                              > several different names to see which one I liked the

                              > best.

                              > Kristen

                              > --- On Fri, 8/1/08, Lisa Crouch

                              > <tiptoes8475@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                              > From: Lisa Crouch <tiptoes8475@ yahoo.com>

                              > Subject: [SCA Newcomers] New and pretty Clueless

                              > To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com

                              > Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 6:36 PM

                              > My name is Lisa...hi :) I am going to

                              > camp tomorrow with my Husband

                              > who has been doing this for a few years now. I have

                              > never gone to

                              > anything. So I have been sewing non-stop all week.

                              > And I feel sooo

                              > unprepared. All I have ended up with is a mish mash

                              > of skirts shirts

                              > and a few dresses that don't match each other, then

                              > he tells me last

                              > night that I need a name too? I really feel clueless

                              > and don't want to

                              > embarass him!! I need help or maybe just a zanax!

                              > removed]

                            • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 11 2:20 PM
                                I don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the
                                effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore
                                the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for
                                this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel
                                <http://www.monistat.com/soothingcare/products_chafing_gel.htm>. A
                                Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't
                                remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up
                                something called "Squeaky Cheeks"
                                <http://www.squeakycheeks.com/about.html>, which is formulated to stay
                                on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder
                                and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.

                                Coblaith Mhuimhneach
                                Barony of Bryn Gwlad
                                Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                <mailto:Coblaith@...>
                              • Gliowien Rayna
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 11 3:43 PM
                                  Squeeky Cheeks....just the name alone cracks me up.

                                  Pun intended.

                                  Lovedaia
                                • Kristen Praiswater
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 12 10:06 AM
                                    Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!

                                    CAITLÍN inghean ui Cheallaigh
                                    Barony of Seleone

                                    I don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the

                                    effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore

                                    the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for

                                    this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel

                                    <http://www.monistat .com/soothingcar e/products_ chafing_gel. htm>. A

                                    Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't

                                    remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up

                                    something called "Squeaky Cheeks"

                                    <http://www.squeakyc heeks.com/ about.html>, which is formulated to stay

                                    on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder

                                    and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.

                                    Coblaith Mhuimhneach

                                    Barony of Bryn Gwlad

                                    Kingdom of Ansteorra

                                    <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>

                                  • PATRICIA BENTLEY
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 21 4:57 PM
                                      everyone can laugh if they want I have a book on kitchen remedies and it actually says to prevent chaffing apply liberal amounts of chapstick or desitine cream there is also product out there called yes of all things Butt Creame.. so laugh at squeaky cheeks if you want to but i think Butt Paste is funnier also these products work better when apply in small amounts before you start what ever it is that is going to make you chafe.

                                      good luck

                                      Gisele
                                      Barony Smoking Rocks

                                      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: spellsinger28@...: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:06:19 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing

                                      Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!CAITL�N inghean ui CheallaighBarony of Seleone--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...> wrote:From: Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh ChaffingTo: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comDate: Monday, August 11, 2008, 4:20 PMI don't have chafing problems myself, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the stuff, but I noticed while at my local drugstore the other day that Monistat has come out with a new product just for this sort of thing: Soothing Care Chafing-Relief Powder Gel <http://www.monistat .com/soothingcar e/products_ chafing_gel. htm>. A Google search on "chafing powder" (which I did because I couldn't remember exactly what the Monistat product was called) also turned up something called "Squeaky Cheeks" <http://www.squeakyc heeks.com/ about.html>, which is formulated to stay on all day. If you've been improvising with deodorant and baby powder and it hasn't been working, you might try one of these.Coblaith MhuimhneachBarony of Bryn GwladKingdom of Ansteorra<mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 21 5:16 PM
                                        You mean Boudreaux's Butt Paste?

                                      • tudorpot@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 21 5:17 PM
                                          Butt paste was devised to treat kiddies undergoing chemotherapy who
                                          developed horrid bum rash (red open skin as if burned) related to the
                                          corrosive diarrhea caused by the chemo. My dear nephew (doing very
                                          well now) had this and butt paste was a life saver. Equal parts zinc
                                          oxide, stomahesive paste and antifungal cream.

                                          I have had good results with using roll on deoderant on my thighs.

                                          Freda

                                          On Aug 21, 2008, at 7:57 PM, PATRICIA BENTLEY wrote:

                                          > Butt Paste

                                        • christopher chastain
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 21 5:36 PM
                                            Pardon me but what makes this funnier is the Barony from which it came, Barony of Smoking Rocks! Yours in Humble Service,Dmitrii Zarekoi Ivanov"Semper Paratus"Triskele LegionnaireClan Dunncan

                                            http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/

                                          • Kristen Praiswater
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 22 2:30 PM
                                              It just sounded funny, I used boudreaux's butt paste on my little one when he was in diapers.  I never thought to use desitin or anything like that.  Thanks for the info!

                                              everyone can laugh if they want I have a book on kitchen remedies and it
                                              actually says to prevent chaffing apply liberal amounts of chapstick or desitine
                                              cream there is also product out there called yes of all things Butt Creame.. so
                                              laugh at squeaky cheeks if you want to but i think Butt Paste is funnier also
                                              these products work better when apply in small amounts before you start what
                                              ever it is that is going to make you chafe.

                                              good luck

                                              Gisele
                                              Barony Smoking Rocks

                                              To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.comFrom: spellsinger28@...: Tue, 12 Aug
                                              2008 10:06:19 -0700Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Thigh Chaffing

                                              Squeaky Cheeks....ha ha ha that is so funny!!!CAITLヘN inghean ui