Re: [SCA Newcomers] This is great!

  • Nicole E. Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2008
      Hi James. Welcome to the Current Middle Ages.

      The best place to start to contact people would be your local group. You are indeed in Shire of Mynydd Seren. They have a web page here http://www.midrealm.org/mynyddseren/welcome.htm. The best person to contact t would be the Castellan. This office is responsible for welcoming new comers, answering questions and giving a helping hand. The current Castellan is listed as Sir Alan Culross. His contact information is listed in the Officers section of the Shire page. Another option would be to contact the Seneschal (basically the president of this group). She (in this case) can also give a helping hand and help you get in contact with others in your shire.

      As for your question "are people really active in this" just look at the web page for the Pennsic War (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn37) This is 37th year for this particular war. It draws people (last years head count was around 10,000) from all 19 kingdoms around the world. It is just one of literally hundres and hundreds of events during the year. Some very close, some not so close. You can go to as many or as few as you like and participate in as many or as few things as pleases you.

      Lady Sian verch Gwilim
      (Heavy weapons fighter, archer, herald, and baronial house elf)
      Kingdom of Atlantia (MD, VA, NC, SC and a bit of Georgia)
      Barony of Ponte Alto (nothern VA)

      Archery has a big part in the events. Besides target archery (which is great fun, I do it as often as I can, but I am usually fighting armored at events), there is also combat archery. You get to hit moving targets (namely the armored fighters) during battles. Plus other projectile activities such as seige weapons. We have catapoultes, terbouchets and balistas (giant crossbows). In some kingdoms there is also thrown weapons (knives, axes, etc).

      On the gentler side we have all the arts and sciences. Much too many to list, just browse your kingdom and local group web sites.
      ---- "James B. Howell" <jhowell211@...> wrote:

      I have just recently stumbled unto this organization and am absolutely
      intrigued! I love this time period (I love history period!) and am all
      about archery. However, the extent of my archery experience is modern
      hunting with compound bows but would like to get more in tune with the
      origins of it! I live in Bedford, IN and based on what I have
      researched thus far apparently fall into The Shire of Mynydd Seren. Are
      people really active in this? Are there any archery guilds in my area?