Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle, hippies and so much more

  • Justinos Tekton
    Message 1 of 65 , Jul 4, 2008
      On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 09:40 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
      > I wear black high
      > tops to events. (Bad ankles and not enough money to
      > afford really good period boots.)

      Speaking as a Chirurgeon (first aid provider), we would *much* rather
      have you safe than have you authentic, if finances force you to choose.
      And I can relate to the cost of period footgear. I have a very nice pair
      of custom-made, documentably-period boots, but they cost me $300 ten
      years ago, and I had been in the SCA nearly a decade before I decided I
      could afford them.

      There may be alternative medieval-ish footgear that is inexpensive but
      looks more authentic than tennis shoes. I'm not an expert, but others on
      this list may be able to offer suggestions, if you are interested.

      I have two sets of period footgear (the second being a lot less
      expensive than $300!), but for a lot of informal occasions (particularly
      outdoor events) I wear a pair of leather Birkenstock sandals with
      bronze-tone buckles. Comfortable, durable, and they pass the "ten foot
      rule" for my Byzantine persona. I save my authentic (expensive) footgear
      for indoor events and Court.

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/sca/justin/
    • eowynesque2b@aol.com
      Message 65 of 65 , Jul 6, 2008
        You are the second person to recommend that series to me in the last week !!

        Thank you !

        Andrea in Calontir

        In a message dated 7/6/2008 8:22:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        bronwynmgn@... writes:

        I'm particularly fond of the Brother Cadfael mystery series by Ellis Peters.