Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle

  • paula graham
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      one of my ex boyfriends got me started with the renassance. around the tudor times and ever since then. it has been a dream of mine more so lately then anything. the current building laws i'm looking into and thats why i'm waiting to hear back from the states i said eairlier. that way i know what i can and can't do.here in iowa is still looking very promising.

      From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@ yahoo.com>
      To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM

      Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this, (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
      Erin

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        thanks for the idea!

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          building codes vary by county...so after you pick a state, then you'll have
          to go to the exact county and look into their individual county codes.

          In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:54:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          pjfivekids@... writes:

          i'm waiting to hear back from the states

        • Heidi Martinez
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            This is a world I have only dreamed of living in!

            You should check out MI, they seem to allow you to build anything because
            the state is always looking for anything that will draw people here.

            Please keep us posted!

            Thank you,
            Heidi

            On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, paula graham <pjfivekids@...> wrote:

            > ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back
            >
            > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>
            > >

            > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
            > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
            >
            > Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this,
            > (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little
            > bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
            > Erin

          • Trina
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
              Ok now for a lurkers opinion...
              I have always wanted to do this also and so here is just a cool idea
              I had make it with a mote around it that could double as a swimming
              pool. Also just some info to look into... Plainville Ks is a small
              north central town that is giving away land and has a 5 year tax plan
              to incourage building and growth.

              Fort Hays State University is just 30 miles south in Hays and the
              area's Shire is Westumbria (Great Bend/ Hays KS) Just some info you
              might want to seriously check into and if seriously interested my
              brother owns and opperates an electrical company in the area and
              could give you all kinds of info on building codes, general
              contractors and area builders.
              YIS Caitriona ingen Faelan (Shire of Westumbria Calontir)

              --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, paula graham <pjfivekids@...>
              wrote:

              > thanks for the idea!

            • Veronica
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                Ok, now that everyone else has chimed in I might add my own opinion.
                Of all the random places you might find a castle, there are two states
                (ok 3 but the last is extremely cost prohibitive) that would be really
                neat to build a castle in, and I might add have few building
                regulation in the unincorporated areas PLUS cheap land. Those are
                Alaska, and Montana. Both have large tourism bases, and I know the
                two main SCA groups in AK might be interested, ok one because we've
                talked about hypotheticals... Any way I think its an awesome idea no
                matter where it's built and would get a lot of visitation, and likely
                employees.

                Lady Veronica of Winters Gate

              • eowynesque2b@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                  I was thinking Calontir really needs a castle !!!

                  In Webster County in Missouri they voted again last year to NOT adopt any building codes anywhere in the county....we're really still a bunch of hippies out here...LOL

                  Andrea in Calontir, Shire of Oakheart