Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle

  • paula graham
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
      i'm going to try and put up a website about the castle. yes there will be a school for kids. with an on site teacher(not puboic school).

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
        So what caused you to start this? How would you go about it? I can only imagine how hard it would be to incorporate current building laws and code into a stone castle. This is so very interesting to me, so sorry for all the questions. lol.
        Erin

        From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@ yahoo.com>
        To: scanewcomers@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM

        Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this, (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
        Erin

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
          I'm a real estate appraiser.

          You can start by looking at rural counties with little or no building codes
          and grandfather-in just in case they add building codes later

          Andrea in Calontir

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
            one of my ex boyfriends got me started with the renassance. around the tudor times and ever since then. it has been a dream of mine more so lately then anything. the current building laws i'm looking into and thats why i'm waiting to hear back from the states i said eairlier. that way i know what i can and can't do.here in iowa is still looking very promising.

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
              thanks for the idea!

              ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
              fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)

            • eowynesque2b@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                building codes vary by county...so after you pick a state, then you'll have
                to go to the exact county and look into their individual county codes.

                In a message dated 7/1/2008 11:54:24 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                pjfivekids@... writes:

                i'm waiting to hear back from the states

              • Heidi Martinez
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 1, 2008
                  This is a world I have only dreamed of living in!

                  You should check out MI, they seem to allow you to build anything because
                  the state is always looking for anything that will draw people here.

                  Please keep us posted!

                  Thank you,
                  Heidi

                  On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, paula graham <pjfivekids@...> wrote:

                  > ms,nv now i'm waiting for iowa,co,al,and il to write me back
                  >
                  > --- On Tue, 7/1/08, Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Eibhleann Kelley <eibhleann.kelley@...<eibhleann.kelley%40yahoo.com>
                  > >

                  > Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] castle
                  > To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com <scanewcomers%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 10:47 PM
                  >
                  > Which states do you have in mind? Because I would totally love to do this,
                  > (actually I helped my parents build our house three years so I have a little
                  > bit of expirence) living in a castle would be the coolest thing ever.
                  > Erin

                • Trina
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Ok now for a lurkers opinion...
                    I have always wanted to do this also and so here is just a cool idea
                    I had make it with a mote around it that could double as a swimming
                    pool. Also just some info to look into... Plainville Ks is a small
                    north central town that is giving away land and has a 5 year tax plan
                    to incourage building and growth.

                    Fort Hays State University is just 30 miles south in Hays and the
                    area's Shire is Westumbria (Great Bend/ Hays KS) Just some info you
                    might want to seriously check into and if seriously interested my
                    brother owns and opperates an electrical company in the area and
                    could give you all kinds of info on building codes, general
                    contractors and area builders.
                    YIS Caitriona ingen Faelan (Shire of Westumbria Calontir)

                    --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, paula graham <pjfivekids@...>
                    wrote:

                    > thanks for the idea!

                  • Veronica
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Ok, now that everyone else has chimed in I might add my own opinion.
                      Of all the random places you might find a castle, there are two states
                      (ok 3 but the last is extremely cost prohibitive) that would be really
                      neat to build a castle in, and I might add have few building
                      regulation in the unincorporated areas PLUS cheap land. Those are
                      Alaska, and Montana. Both have large tourism bases, and I know the
                      two main SCA groups in AK might be interested, ok one because we've
                      talked about hypotheticals... Any way I think its an awesome idea no
                      matter where it's built and would get a lot of visitation, and likely
                      employees.

                      Lady Veronica of Winters Gate

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2008
                        I was thinking Calontir really needs a castle !!!

                        In Webster County in Missouri they voted again last year to NOT adopt any building codes anywhere in the county....we're really still a bunch of hippies out here...LOL

                        Andrea in Calontir, Shire of Oakheart